Author Topic: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau  (Read 35359 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau
« Reply #330 on: April 14, 2023, 09:50:12 PM »
Congrats! Boat looks fantastic, sounds like it runs and floats that way as well! Well done!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #331 on: April 17, 2023, 07:30:05 AM »

Lindy - I very carefully plotted your waterline against the 3D CAD model to estimate your bow trim ... I'm impressed.  Looks like your boat trims dead level at rest - An inspiration to others that you CAN build a large pilot house, darn-near live-aboard boat with very complete outfitting, and still get the trim correct.  Considering that these boats are light for their size and that 2/3rds of the boat (and all of the house) is f'w'd of the CG, this is saying a lot.  Congrats on a job well done!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #332 on: April 18, 2023, 07:53:04 PM »
Thank you Brian for doing all the weights and balancing, it worked out perfect. Your ongoing help through the project has been invaluable. We finished the brow in my now empty shop, strapped the 8 ft by 14 foot thing on my pickup, front end on the hood and back end on the side of the bed. Had to put Ms Jones in the truck prior to putting the brow on as it was impossible to get in the truck after it was in place. It was quite a site going down the road to my friends boat condo. With the help of another friend we were able to set it back in place and glue and fillet it on in place. Now have to do some touch up painting and move it back to my outdoor boat shed for radar, and antenna's.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 19, 2023, 07:32:14 AM »
Thank you Brian for doing all the weights and balancing, it worked out perfect. Your ongoing help through the project has been invaluable. We finished the brow in my now empty shop, strapped the 8 ft by 14 foot thing on my pickup, front end on the hood and back end on the side of the bed. Had to put Ms Jones in the truck prior to putting the brow on as it was impossible to get in the truck after it was in place. It was quite a site going down the road to my friends boat condo. With the help of another friend we were able to set it back in place and glue and fillet it on in place. Now have to do some touch up painting and move it back to my outdoor boat shed for radar, and antenna's.

That would've been great fodder for a video!  ;D  And the brow (visor? curbing?) looks great ... can't wait to see it on the water.  Very classic beauty ...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #334 on: April 21, 2023, 10:02:48 AM »
I have to say out of all the amazing different GA's I have seen in the past few years Team Lindy's wins my #1 pick. So well thought out from bow to stern. Love the extended pilot house...well done, everything looks first class!!!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #335 on: April 28, 2023, 11:04:09 PM »
Electronics, solar and nav lights on roof done!
Renogy semi-flexible solar panels remain my top choice due to their warranty, physical size/watts ratio, and quality. It's the only Renogy product I care for. Fastened with 3M 5952 VHB tape. The antenna on port side is a cell booster.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 11:09:51 PM by Dan Boccia »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 29, 2023, 07:28:44 AM »

Wow ... what PROFESSIONAL work!

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2023, 12:31:15 PM »
This is really setting the bar high. Awesome work, so well thought out and well executed. Well done!

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #338 on: April 30, 2023, 04:05:44 PM »
Completed bilge wiring today, along with aft negative/grounding/bonding busbar and engine/electric steering connections. Yesterday we finalized the aft helm station which turned out super clean. Joystick only for under 1000 rpm maneuvering, docking etc. Yesterday we also finished running all the wires we need so the rest of today I'm going to be cleaning up wire bundles, making terminations, and anchoring cable runs. Still a bunch to do but we're getting there!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 04:06:38 PM by Dan Boccia »

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: May 02, 2023, 09:01:21 PM »
Well I am calling the boat done. Dan finished the electrical, launched today, off to the outer coast tomorrow for some King fishing. Few minor issues to deal with but most systems are go. Likely will have to move my hot water tank to the port side to help with my list, but now is time to enjoy this thing. Thank you all for your help, support and encouragement during the build. It was great fun to build the boat and be part of this group.

Lindy and Colleen

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #340 on: May 02, 2023, 09:28:02 PM »
These two are an amazing team! Very cool being part of this project. Have a great trip!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 03, 2023, 11:00:25 AM »
Congratulations Lindy and Colleen!!  So cool to see this build from start to finish, I hope you post updates and pics from your adventures.  You both deserve a round of applause!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 03, 2023, 11:04:35 AM »

I see that the most important stuff is onboard ... a head and a couple of downriggers!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 04, 2023, 07:42:28 PM »
That red sure looks good!

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #344 on: May 07, 2023, 10:39:42 PM »
Got the boat out for a real test ride. Went west to Cross Sound/Elfin Cove. About 80 miles each way. .Gorgeous spring weather.  Boat preformed very well. Had it fully loaded for the 5 day trip with full tanks of fuel and water. Efficiency was 1.9 nautical miles per gallon. Boat cruised nicely from 20-25 knts (3500-4000 rpms) without any significant change in fuel consumption. Cabin was cozy with ample heat and no sweating despite getting some frost at night. Still have a STBD list, so will move my water heater to the port, and will put a 22 gal water tank on the port and that should fix that issue. Dan's electrical work was amazing, could sit on the hook for days with all the creature comforts,and not run out of power. And by the way ran into 4 nice King salmon.