Author Topic: Bottom Panels 28'GA  (Read 9005 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bottom Panels 28'GA
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 10:56:03 PM »
Yes,  Aeromarine epoxy, these bumps only showed on the steep edges and was harder to put a heavy coat.  I think I will bring a magnifying glass and take a close look, I do not believe it is weave showing but I could be wrong.  Maybe should have scraped it more in those areas. 

We flipped it tonight (6 of us) and was too easy, just lifted it up, pulled the molds and flipped and laid it back down on some 2x4's on the Jig. Most of the boat is not touching so I may have to shim it up with more wood before I finish the finish the fairbody and chine seams.

How do you or do you sand where the epoxy went into the seam?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 05:11:18 AM »
Epoxy in the seam is not an issue.  Scrape off any drips and runs that went clear through.  Paint inside the seam thoroughly to pre-wet the edge grain in there, then fill and glass tape.

bd
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 09:34:56 PM »
I must be crazy after that I can still fill some cloth on the side so I put another coat on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You must be using glass with a coarse weave. Three coats if applied evenly should be more than adequate. My guess is that the epoxy you are using is light viscosity? When you roll it on, it wants to run down hill. I have also noticed that on the coarser e-glass, that the glass hardens with the weave of the glass, but when sanded, you don't hit glass.
When you put the fairbody on the stringers and flip it right side up, you will be adding still more tape and more epoxy so don't worry too much about it.
Before installing the side panels, I would glass them while they are flat! It is much easier to fill the weave when the panels are level, especially when using e-glass. I used volan, which has a fine weave. It is much easier to get a fine finish, but it is quite a bit more expensive. I was given enough volan to do the entire hull by a good friend.
I built the side panels so there were two panels for each side. I raised them into place with a chain hoist which worked really well, enabling me to adjust it to the correct height with little effort. I made a post about the technique on one of my blog posts. I scarfed the two large panels in place, which was really quite simple.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 02:12:46 PM »
Thanks for the tip Cannon.  I have read that post and I will re-read it again when I get to that point.

Filling and glassing the inner chine seams and fair body seams.  Somewhere I saw 2x4"s screwed to aft chines to keep them flat as possible.  Now I cant find it.  Judgement call time.  Add the board!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 03:43:02 PM »
Thanks for the tip Cannon.  I have read that post and I will re-read it again when I get to that point.

Filling and glassing the inner chine seams and fair body seams.  Somewhere I saw 2x4"s screwed to aft chines to keep them flat as possible.  Now I cant find it.  Judgement call time.  Add the board!

Construction manual part 1, page 63, step #9 - and Sheet 006CA shows a drawing of where they go.   ::) ;D

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »
I took those out when I glassed inside.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 06:07:28 PM »
Yep... those be them!

bd

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 08:10:57 PM »
These:

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 08:12:52 PM »
I screw through the chines into the  2 x 4. I'll be sure not to glass over the screws!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 09:58:54 AM »
Oh those... They are shown in an image at the bottom of page 92 (part 1 of the construction manual) and mentioned on pages 93-101 in the "Rear Framing and Chine Flattening" section.

bd