Author Topic: Bintangor plywood  (Read 5082 times)

jadranko

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Bintangor plywood
« on: February 09, 2010, 03:25:15 PM »
Brian what you think about bintangoor plywood couse I can have it in almost half price comparing to okume or meranti ?

Jadranko

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Bintangor plywood
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 01:11:33 AM »
Brian what you think about bintangoor plywood couse I can have it in almost half price comparing to okume or meranti ?

Jadranko

I really can't answer about Bintangoor wood since I am not familiar with it.  That said, note that the Great Alaskan's scantlings were designed to be over-strong in spite of what wood was used.  This was so that it is easy to pick your plywood and get the job done at minimum cost to you, the builder.  Ok, with THAT said, you should research and find out the properties of the wood that you choose to use.  If it is denser and heavier than Douglas Fir plywood, then use it for the bottom panels and chine flats ...its higher density means that it'll likely have better impact (crush, puncture) resistance than fir.  If it IS heavier than Douglas Fir (as a standard to compare to), then I'd likely avoid it for superstructure such as the cuddy, pilot house, and roof.  Remember that "Heavy low, light high" is a good rule to follow from a seaworthiness perspective, but the boat design is overly strong with virtually any plywood that isn't fraught with voids (voids should be filled with epoxy).

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>