Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 185738 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: My Official build thread. Ya it’s happening!
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2019, 03:39:38 PM »
What’s everyone using for cleaning sticky resin and hardener from tools?

Acetone works best, but wear nitrile gloves rather than latex.  Latex 'breathes' enough to let epoxy-laden acetone come through and soak into your skin.  No need to develop a sensitivity to epoxy .. right?  :D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2019, 05:10:43 PM »
Are nitrile gloves good for all this boat stuff. Epoxy?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2019, 09:15:50 PM »
I think so.  I bought a box of 100 at HF.   

I like the heat lamp idea.  I may just look into that. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2019, 06:16:57 AM »
Are nitrile gloves good for all this boat stuff. Epoxy?

Nitrile provides a solid barrier that doesn't let anything through, and solvents or epoxy doesn't harm it.  Mechanics use them virtually everywhere.  Buy the ones that are long and go at least 2 or 3 inches up your wrists.  I find that you tend to get epoxy on your wrist if you just use the regular ones.  If glassing or epoxying over wide surfaces (or hard to reach areas) that you might bump with your arm while reaching, get Tyvek sleeve guards - the ones that are like a tube and have elastic on both ends:

Tyvek Sleeves

Long Cuff Nitrile Gloves

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2019, 08:09:41 PM »
I reglued the crappy scarf that I busted.  I must have mixed  the goop wrong Or something. After less than a 24 hr set I was handling it like it was cured for days. I wonder if I added resin to the resin and didn’t mix any hardener in.  That would explain why it was still wet after 5 days.  I glued 2 more scarfs for the bottom panels.  One more, then I can glue the 3/8” panels to the 3/4” panels. 

I did get a heat lamp,  but I think I probably won’t need it too much. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2019, 10:39:36 AM »
I reglued the crappy scarf that I busted.  I must have mixed  the goop wrong Or something. After less than a 24 hr set I was handling it like it was cured for days. I wonder if I added resin to the resin and didn’t mix any hardener in.  That would explain why it was still wet after 5 days.  I glued 2 more scarfs for the bottom panels.  One more, then I can glue the 3/8” panels to the 3/4” panels. 

I did get a heat lamp,  but I think I probably won’t need it too much.

Mistakes happen, but with this kind of building, it's generally easy to fix them.  No boat is ever built without something not quite going as planned.

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2019, 09:59:51 PM »
I glued some more scarfs.  I forgot about the second layer of bottom panels, so those are done now.  I’m. It sure how I’m gonna handle the bottom panel once they are scarfed together.  Any tricks for such long pieces without help?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2019, 08:32:15 AM »
I glued some more scarfs.  I forgot about the second layer of bottom panels, so those are done now.  I’m. It sure how I’m gonna handle the bottom panel once they are scarfed together.  Any tricks for such long pieces without help?

Long, bulky, really heavy, unwieldy ... hard to handle ... yup!  You're getting a BIG boat out of the deal!  Personally, I've gotten bottom panels into the mold by myself by lifting end, middle, other end onto temporary supports and sliding into place.  I know someone that use a chain hoist to pick up one end (panel on EDGE) and futzed it into place picking up the other end.  Tricky no matter what.  Easiest is to get a couple of friends and pick it up on edge, set down along the keel, then lay it off to the side that it goes on.  Once the whole bottom panel assembly (including glassed one-side chine flats) is done, you can clamp or screw boards across it and lift with a block and tackle or friends to set it aside until it gets lifted into place on the stringers, transom, and bow stem.  The good news is that you CAN do it all by yourself if you're careful and think things through.  There have been several people that have built the boat entirely alone, using tripods or hoists or block and tackles to assist .... including flipping the hull in-place when the time came, and cranking the hull up onto a trailer.  The friends route is fastest and easiest, but not required.

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2019, 09:45:10 PM »
I got the first full bottom panel glued up tonight.  I’m planning on shooting a couple ling cod in the face tomorrow.  My freezer is getting empty again.  so I got some stuff done after work. Hopefully I can get that panel off the jig Sunday and glue the other one up before I go back to work.  Might even tackle the transom. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2019, 05:41:36 AM »
Looking good!  Parts are getting BIGGER!

:D

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2019, 08:27:25 AM »
Took Friday off from the project.  I did manage to shoot a 32inch Ling.  I traded one of his fillets for 1 1/2 steelhead fillets.  Coming  down with what ever is in the wind.  Didn't leave bed yesterday.  Might sneak out today

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2019, 12:26:53 PM »
Took Friday off from the project.  I did manage to shoot a 32inch Ling.  I traded one of his fillets for 1 1/2 steelhead fillets.  Coming  down with what ever is in the wind.  Didn't leave bed yesterday.  Might sneak out today

Definitely sounds like scuba spear fishing is the most effective way to catch one of my favorite fishes.... lingcod!

Hope you feel better soon...

bd

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2019, 08:45:28 AM »
Todd, was wondering where you live. Sounds like you do some cool adventures. Dj

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2019, 10:19:32 PM »
Dj, I live in Oregon.  Just west of Eugene.  I do some kick ass stuff on occasion!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2019, 10:29:04 PM »
After shoveling snow for half a day I did manage to finish the last scarf on the starboard bottom panel blank.  I got the port blank off the jig without help.  That’s a lot of wood right there! 
Re: second layer bottom panel blanks.  Would it work the same to trace the the shape onto the second layer blank, then use a spacer block to lay out the cut line.  Just like it is suggested for bulkheads in manuals?  Did that make sense?   Less flipping me thinks!