Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 185597 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: My Official build thread. Ya it’s happening!
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2019, 04:53:07 PM »
I got some boaty stuff done this weekend.  I built the last of the shelf blanks.  I still need to scarf on the last length to each blank.  I did get some cvg and glued up the bow stem blank.  I also got the motor boards and upper doublers glued to the transom.   I had a ah-ha moment today.  I outsmarted myself by half once again.  I realized that all of my careful parts stacking and separating are for a wet side down boat.  I guess before I butterfly the bottom I  pack all the parts out and trade sides.  That will give me a opportunity to open the building and blow the dust outta there. 

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2019, 12:55:27 PM »
I used David’s microwave trick on a few cold mornings. Worked well, you just need to move faster...
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2019, 09:34:50 PM »
I built a gravity fed pellet stove.  I put the epoxy and hardener in front of it.  It makes it easy to spread,  but I can’t tell that the pot life is any shorter.  I had one cup go off after I walked away from it.   Probably about 40 grams of wasted epoxy.  It melted the cup!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2019, 09:52:49 AM »
I have my shear shelves all scarfed together now.  I intended to glass the bottoms.  The only tape I have wide enough to cover the entire bottom of the shelf is double what the plans call out.  I have lightweight 4 inch wide tape.  What do most people do?

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2019, 07:59:14 PM »
Todd what did you decide on swim platform? Dennis

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2019, 08:52:46 PM »
I have my shear shelves all scarfed together now.  I intended to glass the bottoms.  The only tape I have wide enough to cover the entire bottom of the shelf is double what the plans call out.  I have lightweight 4 inch wide tape.  What do most people do?
well I used my heavy tape to get it done.  I let all the extra hang toward the inside of the boat.   Can the extra tape be used to tie in the gunnel decks or should I just get rid of it?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2019, 09:09:59 PM »
Todd what did you decide on swim platform? Dennis
I have not decided what to do about swim platform.  At this time I have the transom built ready to glass and put away till the bottom is all done.   I figure it will give me a bit more room in the cockpit.  My stringers are quite a bit longer than they need to be.  I’ve been thinking about letting them run wild and somehow using them to tie in the swim platform.  My shop is just big enough to squeeze around one end of the boat at a targeted length of 27 1/2’.   Are you building in a swim platform?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2019, 08:27:09 AM »

If I read you right, you have the shelves all put together, ready to glass, but they're wider than the 4" tape you have?  You can either buy wider tape, or allow subsequent applications of the tape (glass) to overlap an inch.  It's a "do whatever works" kind of situation.  There's nothing wrong with buying extra rolls of glass tape in varying width, in the 9-10 oz range .... you'll have other projects in the future, will do repairs and modifications etc.  Stock up a little.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2019, 06:19:22 PM »

If I read you right, you have the shelves all put together, ready to glass, but they're wider than the 4" tape you have?  You can either buy wider tape, or allow subsequent applications of the tape (glass) to overlap an inch.  It's a "do whatever works" kind of situation.  There's nothing wrong with buying extra rolls of glass tape in varying width, in the 9-10 oz range .... you'll have other projects in the future, will do repairs and modifications etc.  Stock up a little.

Brian

I just used the wider tape on hand.  Should I get rid of the hangover bit on the inside? Or let it dangle to wrap around later.  It might not be too easy to do that if I wetted any hang over tape, bit it may be doable.  I more or less flushed it up to narrow side of the shear deck so there will be very little to trim off that side

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2019, 10:00:38 PM »
I am. The wife wants a rear door. I get a boat, she gets a door. Seems fare.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2019, 10:55:58 PM »
That will work!   I like it.   I really thought hard about extending the deck and the bottom through  the transom like you drew it.  However without the curve.     I decided against it only because it added to the build time and I thought it would less cumbersome so land a fish of the back.  If I. Hold have built a foot longer I probably would have done something similar to your plan.  Your wife got the door, my wife insisted on something inside the dimensions the plans allow.  27 1/2’ is still a good size boat. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2019, 06:11:38 AM »
The curved transom(s) does take longer to build, BUT it's stronger too.  Additionally, it helps in a following sea as well (which in turn is a help against tendencies to broach).  I like it :)

Brian
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:16:27 AM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2019, 06:42:40 AM »
 Ore progress and I owe a few pics

Bottom with stem in background
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:43:41 AM by Todd j »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2019, 06:44:31 AM »
Shear shelves glassed. 

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2019, 06:45:22 AM »
Transom glassed

What is the best way to poke some epoxy into the little bubble at the bottom of the lvl.   I was thinking small syringe typical of wisdom tooth washer. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:47:55 AM by Todd j »