Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 185720 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My Official build thread. Ya it’s happening!
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2019, 04:20:32 PM »
Looking great Todd! You are cruising! Question for you since you just did this - how many hours approximately did it take you to do the interior seam on the keel? I am doing it this week and want to do it all in 1 shot but need to plan so I don't get interrupted by the kiddos or their mom. :)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2019, 06:31:02 PM »
It took me somewhere between 5-8 hours.  I had everything I needed close by.   Mix in large containers.  Any unthickened epoxy you use to precoat the wood can just get thickened and used for your fillet.  I did 10 foot sections wet on wet with 30 minute hardener.   If I could do it again I would coat the entire seam all at once, fillet the entire seam all at once the tape it with prewetted glass all at once.  Even if I only used 10 foot lengths of tape.  HTH

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2019, 06:46:42 PM »
That does help! Thanks for the advice...

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2019, 11:30:42 PM »
I cut the zip tie stitches off with intentions of glassing the chines.  I was looking over the project and something caught my eye.  I seem to have a bit of a bump where the 4’ and 8’ length of 3/8” scarf together.  I figure I could make it disappear before I add the second layer of bottom, but I’m concerned the stringers may not properly fit if the bottom is covered with cured cloth.  I know there is a lot going on right there with the shape of the bow. In the photo you can almost tell that there is a gap at each end of the 2’ level.  FWIW I checked a few dimensions and didn’t see anything wonky.
  How concerning is this? 

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2019, 07:09:34 AM »
Wow, I was just going to ask Brian the same question. I opened my bottom panel this week and see the same hump. Your right there is a lot of curves going on there.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2019, 08:06:47 AM »
I also have this gap at my front mold #4. Do I need to screw this down at the top edge or let in round up. I did screw it down in the v

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2019, 08:47:30 AM »

Humps, bumps, and screws ... oh my!

No worries, guys.  Wood is a natural product and it'll always vary from boat to boat.  Remember the old saying that the only difference between an experienced wood worker and a greenhorn is that the experienced wood worker knows how to hide the defects better :)

OK ... back to boats.  I wouldn't worry too awfully much about the humps and bumps - you'll have ample opportunity to fix those things later ... if it's still necessary to do.  I would not try to fix these things now, and I'll tell you why.  The bottom panels are a large floppy sheet of plywood and they'll take on much more of their final shape after they are resting on (and screwed down onto) the main stringers.  Apply the second layer of 3/8" ply on the bow when it's time, and do not worry about filling humps or hollows first.

As for the 'hide the defects' mentality, keep in mind that each step is an opportunity to correct anything that's not quite right from the last step.  For example, before adding the chine flats, make sure the spreader bar and critical dimensions at the bow are what the plans specify.  Add a screw through bottom panels to molds (towards the top end of the molds) if necessary to pull the panels into the mold equally on both sides of the boat etc.  Eyeball the edge that the chine flat will attach to, give the bottom panel assembly a general look and/or measure to make sure all is square, then add the chine flats.  Just prior to adding the 'stitch welding' epoxy between ties, give it one last look .... you're not committed to anything until you've locked things in with epoxy (and even then, most things are fixable).

Later, before putting the side panels on, again ensure that the chine flats have a smooth straight run on their aft ends (as discussed in the manual) and that all curves forward of the aft straight run are fair and smooth (they will be) before you lock the side panels into place with epoxy.

It's not until after the outside of the boat has been glassed (seams, sheathing of the whole boat etc) that you stop and take a look at any remaining humps or hollows.  Fairing these things out is the second-to-last thing that you do before finish coating ... whether graphite epoxy or a paint system.  Once faired, the hull gets a couple of finish coats of epoxy and then you move on.

Hope that all makes sense - I'm just saying "stick with the plan and no worries".  You've got to expect some variations to occur.  Those molds are there for a reason, so no reason not to force bottom panels down onto them prior to putting on the chines  Trust your eyes and double check a lot before locking things in with epoxy.  Fair later, not now.  No fairing between layers of plywood.  Keep on truckin'!  Looking great from this end!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »
Thanks Brian.  I too had a gap between the 3/8” ply and the mold.  I just put a couple screws in it. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2019, 03:03:19 PM »
Thanks Brian.  I too had a gap between the 3/8” ply and the mold.  I just put a couple screws in it.

This is the correct thing to do.  The forward mold assumes a single layer of 3/8" ply and the offset to make up for the thinner plywood in this region is already designed in.  Eyeball it after screwing it down and if it isn't quite fair, you can play with how tightly you screw it down or how much gap you leave - fair curves are the most important thing, and not to worry on side panel fit - they're fit to the boat, not vice versa.  But really, all this is fine tuned via 3D CAD, so it should just work.  I haven't heard otherwise and there's a lot of Great Alaskans floating around.... :)

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2019, 11:12:31 PM »
No progress this weekend.  Our new puppy has learned to climb.  I spent my free time gathering materials and building new/different fence.  This has behind on other honey-dos    I did buy some ammonia.  So I guess that’s progress.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2019, 06:01:33 AM »
No progress this weekend.  Our new puppy has learned to climb.  I spent my free time gathering materials and building new/different fence.  This has behind on other honey-dos    I did buy some ammonia.  So I guess that’s progress.

Haha ... don't I know that feeling ... list of the want-to todos being nixed by the have-to todos :D

We're getting a new puppy this summer too ... a sister for our current fellow....

Dornschatten Labradors

Brian

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 06:02:21 AM by Brian.Dixon »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2019, 07:56:08 PM »
Our girl.  She starts obedience school tonight. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »
She looks really sweet :)  How old?

bd

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2019, 09:54:29 AM »
About 12 weeks. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2019, 12:01:54 PM »
About 12 weeks.

Nice ... cute too :)

We get our 2nd lab in late summer, I think .... we're #14 on the list and 1 dog pregnant, 2 going into heat soon.

Brian