Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 185476 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: My Official build thread. Ya it’s happening!
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »
Good news Todd, we are neck and neck on our builds so I went out and looked at my build and like yours it appears that mold 2 is high(humpy) then I started thinking about it. Mold 1 and2 are almost level, mold3  is much lower as it turns up at the bow. So it makes sense to me that the hump should be there. 1,2,3 should not be in a straight line.. 1 and 2 should be straight.

Looking at Sheet #010c, you can see that the shelf molds get deeper as you progress from the stern (Mold #1) towards the bow (Mold #4 and f'w'd).  This is as it should be.  Now, when the stem presses the tips of the shelves downward (see top half of dwg 010), there may be some tendency for the shelves to bow upwards, leveraging off of Mold #4 (bow end) ... if they do, then you should clamp them to the shelf molds.  It's not a bad idea to clamp to the molds on every one of the 4 molds and then sight down the shelves to see how they're doing.  That's the picture that I'd like to see.  From what Todd says, one of his shelves took on a warp or (?) while set aside in storage and may not follow the intended curve as nicely as it should ... which is a different thing than I just described .... but perhaps clamps on molds will pull things into shape?   But anyway ... this is all conjecture until Todd (no rush!) gets a chance to post some pix.  Regardless, it's interesting ... and whatever is going on, there IS always a way to fix it.  No worries :D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2019, 01:47:41 PM »
For comparison, a pic of mine

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2019, 03:06:13 PM »
Both of my shelves fit the molds without clamps. I didn't force the shelves down at all to the stem.  I have the issue same as Djeffery and a crooked shelf on the other side.  Put in a few day!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2019, 03:11:10 PM »
For comparison, a pic of mine

I only looked at mine as viewed from the stem. That's the only way I can get far enough away to see it.  Do you get a different perspective if your is viewed from the stem. 
  I don't see the hump in yours that I see in mine.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2019, 04:44:38 PM »
This hump?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2019, 07:57:50 PM »
Mine bump up at mold 2. Second mold from the aft end

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2019, 08:19:34 PM »
Mine as well. I think that is correct.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2019, 10:21:10 PM »
This is the hump at mold 2

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2019, 10:26:35 PM »
This is after I lowered the mold to 1 inch above the 2x4 brace. 

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 02, 2019, 10:28:17 PM »
This is the shelf that went wild

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2019, 10:31:38 PM »
I know it’s rough to see what I was complaining about in the first 2 photos.  I have more boat than building. The shear is more appealing to me after the adjustments.  I need to add a mold and force the jump out in the third photo.  With the adjusted mold the shear looks more like the drawings to me.  I checked all the dimensions and they were good to go.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:32:34 PM by Todd j »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2019, 08:17:02 AM »
Thanks for the pix, Todd ... helps a lot.  The good side looks fine to me, especially after adjusting the mold a little.  All pieces of wood will bend slightly differently, so I'm not entirely surprised.

I can see how the 'wild side' is different in shape.  I wonder if you can put a long straight piece of wood on top to bridge what looks like a low spot beyond the 'hump' and then clamp it to pull the low spot upward until the curve is straight ... even as a temporary thing (since it's like in the way of installing side panels) while you fit a custom mold to that area ... might need some experimenting.  I would also say that if you got it 90% correct, that fill/fairing and the overall size and detail of the finished boat would result in slight differences not being noticeable.  I always say, "Each step of construction is a chance to fix what went wrong in the LAST one AND is a new step to complete."  Ask me about the pilot house door where I cut the opening too large and had to fit ply into the opening to reduce it to the correct size (and fair it all in), or about the nice bulkhead alignment lines I drew on the hull ... then installed the bulkhead with the line on the front face at the top, and the line aligned with the back face at the bottom ... nobody could ever tell that he bulkhead had a bit of slope to it!  In the end, you get a great boat ... just keep going and keep an open mind, fix, forget, progress onward... 'tis the life of a boat builder. :)

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2019, 08:28:53 AM »
We’ll see if I get back out there to fix it today.  Got to do life stuff for awhile.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »
We’ll see if I get back out there to fix it today.  Got to do life stuff for awhile.

It's OK ... the shop will be there waiting for you :D.  No shop, no sanity ... have shop, will build :)

bd

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2019, 11:34:03 PM »
Got to play for a couple hrs in the shop.  I added two molds to the jig between 1 and 2.  I got both sides shear to match one another.  I studied the shear line on the plans that locate the molds.  I was able to get them super close using a line laser.  I shot in one side then the other.  This is a before and after on the side I thought was closest to correct.