Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 185751 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: My Official build thread. Ya it’s happening!
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2019, 11:36:50 PM »
The other side before and after.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2019, 11:41:54 PM »
I ended up placing mold 2 back in its intended location.  I may play with it a bit more.  It’s very difficult to get a perpendicular perspective since I can’t roll the jig out.
  It appears to me the shear is straight for the last 8 feet or so.  It would be nicer to have the subtle curve all the way aft.  There’s always tomorrow

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2019, 07:22:51 AM »
I ended up placing mold 2 back in its intended location.  I may play with it a bit more.  It’s very difficult to get a perpendicular perspective since I can’t roll the jig out.
  It appears to me the shear is straight for the last 8 feet or so.  It would be nicer to have the subtle curve all the way aft.  There’s always tomorrow

Looks good from here ... the aft part of the sheer is fairly straight by design.  You'll never notice any differences.... :)

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2019, 09:56:13 AM »
Quote from: Brian.Dixon
  You'll never notice any differences.... :)

Nor will the fish

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 05, 2019, 02:08:58 PM »
Ya I know.  The shear is what defines the boats sexy right of the bat.  I want sexy!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2019, 02:12:58 PM »
Couple hiccups.  The shear and stringers do not fit the transom well. Everything is PLS and I checked all the dimensions and I found everything is to be within a 1/8” of the target.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 05, 2019, 02:25:03 PM »
It looks like I can fix the stringers by deepening the notch and raising the temporary framing a bit.  I’m already +4” on them.  A bit more wont be the end of the world.
  Brian I have 41” measuring from the bottom of the transom at the outside edge of the chine flat to the top of the shear.    Given that, if I raise the stringers to match the transom notch am I in any danger of running out of side panel width at 48”?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2019, 06:47:41 AM »
I ended up putting 1/2” plywood spacers on the temp supports.   Other the transom a bit deeper with some chisel work and the stringers fit perfectly.  That puts my shear 4 1/2” above the stringers design dimensions

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2019, 06:55:26 AM »

You've got the right idea.  With a boat this long (with PARTS this long), a small error on one end can result in larger error on the other - You just do what you need to do to fit the parts.  For example, if you've lofted and cut out the shelves for the boat and boat sides match and are fair, then you may have to do a little adjusting on the shelf molds and transom slot to make it all fit.  For example, place the shelves in the molds, forward tips clamped together and in the transom slots as described in the manual (for order of events), but nothing epoxied yet.  If the shelve molds are a little too wide, then it could be that with the forward tips clamped together, the aft ends don't fit all the way into the transom slots.  The forward tips together and the fit in the transom are the bottom lines here, and you should do a little trimming on the inside edges of the shelf molds to let the shelves go where they need to while they are supported in place.  And as the manual suggests, if the joint at the forward tip doesn't fit just right, run a saw through it to remove wood on the tighter part of the joint and move the tips together again ... repeat if necessary to create a nice joint at the bow.  Clamp or screw the tips of the shelves together there, then attempt to fit the aft ends of the shelves into the transom ... adjusting molds as necessary.  If the shelves are a bit wider than the slots in the transom that were made for them, then ... adjust the slots in the transom until there's enough room for the shelves.  Don't epoxy anything into place until the bow end is correct, the shelves are all properly supported (vertically) by each shelf mold, and the aft end of the shelves fit the transom slots nicely.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2019, 05:27:46 PM »
Loosened up the shelf molds and tapped the shelves to where they should go.   I thought that it was interesting that moving the #1 in about 5/16” had no effect on molds 2 and 3.  I ended putting them back where they were.  I have tha transom all braced up to the jig and it is glued to the shelves now.  Next on the list is to glass the stringers so I can get the bottom panel assembly on the jig again.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2019, 05:46:31 PM »
Loosened up the shelf molds and tapped the shelves to where they should go.   I thought that it was interesting that moving the #1 in about 5/16” had no effect on molds 2 and 3.  I ended putting them back where they were.  I have tha transom all braced up to the jig and it is glued to the shelves now.  Next on the list is to glass the stringers so I can get the bottom panel assembly on the jig again.

Wood is what it is ... each piece a little different.  And 5/16" is nothing !

Glad to hear of your progress!  Post more pix ... love'm!

bd

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2019, 10:37:19 PM »
Transom glued in for good!  Went a little nuts bracing the transom.  It’s heavy and I don’t want it putting weight on the shear. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2019, 07:27:04 AM »
Looking good!  It never hurts to add extra support to heavy components.  Another place you'll likely want to do this is to block up the shelves halfway between the stem and forward mold while you install the side panels.  When the shelf-to-side panel mating surfaces are all 'lubricated' with epoxy, bending the forward side panels around the boat will want to force the shelves downward (towards the floor) ... the construction manual describes how to mark and check as you go - if you want to avoid a powderhorn sheerline, then you'll want to block-up the shelves.  FYI.

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2019, 06:37:34 PM »
I bought a 3 piece roller kit from amazon after seeing it used on another boat. That grooved roller and the surform are my new favorite tools.  I started glassing the stringers today as I wait for my chain fall to arrive.  The roller really does a great job at getting the air out of the glass without lifting it like the foam roller does.  I’m hoping to have the bottom assemble back on the jig next weekend

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 17, 2019, 08:04:53 PM »
I knew you would like it. Really lays the glass down in the resin.