Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 185682 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA
« Reply #345 on: September 21, 2019, 02:22:03 PM »
PS.  json - I believe that is a P40 - P51's had their air intake scoop for the radiator near the rear of the wing, the stance of the main gear was wider, and folded towards the center, not back.

You know, I was wondering when I posted it, so TIL the diff between a p40 and p51. :)

I think I am more a fan of the red model, hopefully my spray rails look similar enough. The upsweep looks good, but looking at the cad model and reading your feedback Brian I see that the flare is what's causing the discrepancy in that distance. Either way both look pretty legit IMHO, so I really have no opinion about which is better or worse. I am hoping my hull floats regardless of which one I put in place.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 21, 2019, 03:28:21 PM »
PS.  json - I believe that is a P40 - P51's had their air intake scoop for the radiator near the rear of the wing, the stance of the main gear was wider, and folded towards the center, not back.

You know, I was wondering when I posted it, so TIL the diff between a p40 and p51. :)

I think I am more a fan of the red model, hopefully my spray rails look similar enough. The upsweep looks good, but looking at the cad model and reading your feedback Brian I see that the flare is what's causing the discrepancy in that distance. Either way both look pretty legit IMHO, so I really have no opinion about which is better or worse. I am hoping my hull floats regardless of which one I put in place.

Haha. It’ll float.   I have other motives at play as far as my build goes.  I also added 4” to the side panels and 4 1/2” to the stringers.  So proportionally mine still looks different.   It’s a smiley spray rail for me.  What is it about bananas and boats?   Brian we should only speak of the smiley instead of  b word!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 21, 2019, 09:44:36 PM »
I fought the fight for the last time.  Did the smiley.  Even at 19” from the chines I wasn’t happy.  I went back about 6’ and let it loose then just nailed it back down.  I’m guessing in the 22” range.  It still looked pinched pinched to the chine about 5-7’ aft of the bow.  I massaged the whole thing around by eye.  After it all I’m pretty close to 29” off the shear until about the last 6-7’.  It’s not as cool as the 2D above but I like it a little better. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #348 on: September 22, 2019, 07:46:13 AM »
Good point on the b-word!  Although I've caught plenty of fish with a 'b' in my lunch.... :)

One thing to keep in mind too,, when looking at profile views from the CAD model is that the real boat on the water will appear to have less up-sweep at the bow and along the spray rail.  This is because as you view the boat from the side, in person, the side of the boat is closer to you than the bow.  The slight difference in perspective makes the sheer line and spray rail look less than they are.  I've seen boats with an upward sheer in the CAD view, but they looked like they had a flat sheer in person. Something to keep in mind.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 22, 2019, 09:36:49 AM »
I love that!  Too late for me but I would do it.

PROPOSAL - How do you like the spray rail line below?  I raised it up towards the bow and also at the stern .... I think the amount at the bow looks sporty?  Feedback welcome ... I want to update the plans and add a Sheet 012Alt that has a 'smile' or 'banana' splashrail.  The amount raised at the stern is 1-1/4", which I agree is just right.

Let me know what you guys think ... if it's cool, then I'll slice up the 3D CAD model with it and measure the offsets... and create the new drawing.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 22, 2019, 12:10:43 PM »
Good point on the b-word!  Although I've caught plenty of fish with a 'b' in my lunch.... :)

One thing to keep in mind too,, when looking at profile views from the CAD model is that the real boat on the water will appear to have less up-sweep at the bow and along the spray rail.  This is because as you view the boat from the side, in person, the side of the boat is closer to you than the bow.  The slight difference in perspective makes the sheer line and spray rail look less than they are.  I've seen boats with an upward sheer in the CAD view, but they looked like they had a flat sheer in person. Something to keep in mind.

Brian

I see what you mean.  Perfect example.  Look at the Pau Hauna on the website.  They rails in that perspective look straight

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 22, 2019, 10:04:25 PM »
Brian’s tip for cutting cloth on a 45 to make tape worked like a champ!   I put 18 ounces of tape on my auxiliary spray rails with out any trouble at all.  It’s a pearl!  Thanks

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 23, 2019, 07:54:54 AM »

Sweet!  And tough as nails now too!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 23, 2019, 09:46:42 AM »
FYI - I just uploaded Sheet 012Alt, an alternative spray rail shape and location.  This version has good up-sweep towards the bow for a more sporty look, and at the stern end, the rails sweep upward 1-1/2" from their lowest location.  This 'smile' shaped spray rail helps the boat look better on the water even if loaded a little heavy in the stern... old boat painters trick :)

Brian

PS: Scroll waaaay to the bottom of the file list on our website's Downloads page.  I need to fix the sort order, but for now, the new file appears down at the bottom of the list.

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 23, 2019, 03:32:59 PM »
Brian:

Are those dimensions given the "true length" dimension, or is it the dimension in the plane of the drawing - essentially the TL dimension x the cosine of the flare angle ?

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #355 on: September 23, 2019, 07:51:25 PM »
I hope those are true length dimensions, otherwise mine is way off haha...

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 24, 2019, 06:40:19 AM »
It will be interesting to see how close I am to the numbers above.  I think I am very close.  Will report back after my vacation.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 24, 2019, 07:58:33 AM »
Brian:

Are those dimensions given the "true length" dimension, or is it the dimension in the plane of the drawing - essentially the TL dimension x the cosine of the flare angle ?

These measurements are on the surface of the boat ... you lay a square or framing angle on the side of the boat and measure along the surface from the chine flat downward.  In CAD, the profile (shown) is drawn, then used to create a surface that you use to split/slice the side panel into two, then you perform a developable unrolling of the panel between the splash rail and the chine .... and take dimensions off that.  Long way around to block to just saying "Measure down from the chine flat ... on the SURFACE of the boat ... C'est facile!

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 24, 2019, 08:14:04 AM »
Hey, that sounds like what is in the instructions

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 24, 2019, 08:24:23 AM »
Hey, that sounds like what is in the instructions

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D