Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 185628 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA
« Reply #390 on: December 22, 2019, 09:04:21 AM »
I agree, nice clean work.  My neck is getting sore looking at photos sideways though.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 22, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »
I don’t get it?   I don’t know if it’s me or something in Brian’s settings.   I don’t have a computer so I do all of this from my phone.   When I was at work I looked at the forum and all my junk is sideways?   Maybe I will look and see which way everything rotates and spin it the other way before I post it. 
   Rbob are you using a computer or a mobile device to view?

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 22, 2019, 02:21:46 PM »
Nice job. It’s fun getting going on the inside.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #393 on: December 22, 2019, 04:34:59 PM »
I don’t get it?   I don’t know if it’s me or something in Brian’s settings.   I don’t have a computer so I do all of this from my phone.   When I was at work I looked at the forum and all my junk is sideways?   Maybe I will look and see which way everything rotates and spin it the other way before I post it. 

It's a weirdness of the Simple Machines Forums.  It seems like if an image is too big or something, it displays sideways.  When I save them to disk and open with a photo editor, they come out right side up.  For the forums, I have very high image size limits, but they probably display best if resized down to 1024 pixels on the larger dimension.  In any case, I haven't explored it too much but I don't believe it's a settings issue.

bd
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 22, 2019, 08:38:00 PM »
As I look ahead I see the opening in the aft cuddy bulkhead is 44 inches.   When I look at my tape measure at 44 inches I don't think I could get through it. Any one build this and decide it was too small or is it just right?   I have already thought of a couple ways around it. 
  BTW building without epoxy sucks!!!   Ebond shipped it out as they always do.   Thier freight companies are inept.  The last batch got lost, passed off to a third party carrier and delivered to NOT me, pita.  This most recent order made it to within a hour of my doorstep and then went back to Atlanta.  Anyway,   cuddy opening big enough?

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 23, 2019, 06:51:09 AM »
Todd, I thought the same thing. I am 230. 5’11’ and after I installed mine I found it was good. I figure I am not going to be in and out of the cuddy much but there is plenty of room to get in there.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 23, 2019, 07:08:01 AM »
Instead of the standard cuddy door, you can notch into the cuddy roof if you want, and that makes it easier to get in.  Plus, even with the standard design, you do get used to it.  If you notch into the cuddy roof (inside the windshield, obviously), it makes it harder to figure out how to close the cuddy.  Personally, I'd do that and keep it open BUT keep in mind that it's nice to be able to close it and lock it up while the boat is left in a slip or even on a trailer in some parking lot.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #397 on: December 23, 2019, 12:05:44 PM »

It's a weirdness of the Simple Machines Forums.  It seems like if an image is too big or something, it displays sideways.  When I save them to disk and open with a photo editor, they come out right side up.  For the forums, I have very high image size limits, but they probably display best if resized down to 1024 pixels on the larger dimension.  In any case, I haven't explored it too much but I don't believe it's a settings issue.

bd

I believe this is actually because browsers aren't displaying the exif metadata of the image correctly. When a phone saves the image, it doesn't write the pixels in the correct orientation, it actually just saves a line in the exif info about the orientation. Some things don't choose to respect the exif data, which I think a lot of browsers don't when you use an img tag. I am not sure about the forum software you are using but there are image processing utilities that you can use to rotate the image when it is uploaded if that metadata exists, they are typically native software installs on your server (not just plugins that run in whatever your software is that you are utilizing for the forum).

Todd, can you explain the jiggle stick method? I fit my vertical cc bulkhead but am about to do the cc top so might try your method since it sounds relatively painless...

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 23, 2019, 12:38:38 PM »
https://youtu.be/jXXUf97EFOw
   Try this video.  It is pretty simple and you can use scrap that is much smaller for the pattern.  My stick has a more complex shape so I can turn it upside down, but it’s the same process

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 23, 2019, 12:41:41 PM »
For the entry into the cuddy. 
  It just occurred to me I raised the shear 4 1/2”.   So I should be able to add 6 1/4”  rip to the bottom of my bulkhead blank.  This would give me a 48” opening with a 1/2”  left over to play with. 

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 23, 2019, 01:45:54 PM »
That exactly what I ran into..  added extra to the cuddy bulkhead.

I found that turning around and taking a step backwards down into the cuddy is easier even for a short guy.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 23, 2019, 08:33:25 PM »
I’m hoping that the extra 4” and the step down together will make it all ok.  With some type of hand grab one could just about swing in there

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 23, 2019, 08:41:09 PM »
Ok Rbob.  This ones for you. 
I have the crash chamber cut and the anchor well with a deck doubler.  I posted it sideways.   Hopefully it’s not upside down.  😂
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:52:12 PM by Todd j »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 24, 2019, 08:13:02 AM »
I’m hoping that the extra 4” and the step down together will make it all ok.  With some type of hand grab one could just about swing in there

Yup, you get used to it very quickly.  I like having the additional space where you can lock things up while away.  Cuddies tend to get crammed with stuff and locked up, e.g. your electronics and expensive gear.  A notch in the dash is nice for access, but harder to lock up.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 24, 2019, 12:27:03 PM »
Thanks for that!