Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 185751 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA
« Reply #465 on: March 21, 2020, 11:00:17 PM »
Which is the strongest?   Fir  cvg, lvl, or plywood for the above the tank deck supports.  All the above will be made from larger stock, so no matter what none are ready to go as is.  Fir cvg need non be glassed, correct?

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 21, 2020, 11:08:39 PM »
I will put my money on LVL.  I used both Yellow cedar and LVL.  I believe you could drive a truck on the LVL.  Most do not have room for very tall supports so I went wider.  You can always cut some supports the correct width, and place on blocks to jump / stand to see the deflection if any.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 22, 2020, 08:16:48 AM »
Exactly how I installed mine. Good job!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #468 on: March 22, 2020, 08:25:11 AM »
Of those listed, ALL are plenty strong enough ... I would place a priority on waterproofness instead.  I would use any 'select' wood you can get ... plywood on edge if no voids or all voids on edge grain well sealed (below), same rules for LVL.  For solid lumber, knot-free wood either with no defects or defects well-filled.  Since you asked, LVL is designed to be a beam on edge, while plywood is not ... but for stiffening a deck, it's fine.  Usually, solid lumber of square dimension is not rated as a beam either, but again, for stiffening a deck it's more than adequate.

Sealing end grain, edge grain, or wood defects: First coat edges with epoxy (repeat while wet) until the epoxy stays glossy for 10+ minutes.  This indicates that no more saturation is occurring - the end grain will turn dull if the epoxy is still being absorbed.  Cure.  Sand corners to slightly round them and sand edge/end grain smooth.  Vacuum off dust and wipe with damp towel and let dry.  Mix cream slurry of epoxy and silica and coat edges with it to plug and fill all defects (microscopy on up to large and visible).  I use a gloved hand to massage the silica mix into the wood and leave it smooth.  Cure, lightly sand, add 2 seal-coats of clear epoxy.

Note that I, personally, follow the routine above for all edges.  It's extra work, however, so I try to make sure I never have to do it ... bury edges in seams that have fillets of epoxy on them etc to avoid having to seal edge grain.  It's unavoidable on ends of nailers and bottoms of deck supports that are made from some type of ply (seal bottom edge before installation) - which is why, for the aforementioned deck supports, I'd go with dimensional lumber and would just fillet where they meet the stringers.  Just my 2-bits.  For the record, I own a 20 year old skiff that has plywood sealed as above and was stored outside in weather for most of it's life, and the plywood edges sealed as above have never failed ... look good as new (see below).

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 22, 2020, 08:38:52 AM »
Sounds good.  I will cut a slot and run my deck supports like in the photo above.   Except I’m going to slot all the way through and cut my supports the outside to outside dimension of the stringers.   

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 22, 2020, 10:15:41 AM »

Another fast way to seal end grain, if it's easily accessible, is FIBERGLASS.  Presoak as above and slap it on ... especially under the decks where the only fairing needed is a quick pass along the glass edges with a carbide scraper before the final epoxy seal coats.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 29, 2020, 10:14:38 PM »
 Den spending time sanding and fairing while I wait on my tanks.  I did make deck supports.  I glasses 3 sides.  Used cvg fir.  I also made the mounting flange for the bow hatch.  It still need some work, but is mostly done. Did similar to Rbob if I remember correctly. 
  I also installed and glassed the floor below the big tank and installed with glass it’s forward bulkhead.  The floor allows the bilge to be separate from the tank compartments
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:15:28 PM by Todd j »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 30, 2020, 10:39:57 AM »
I like the floor for separating the tank compartment from the bilge, and allowing drainage to the stern to still work... :D

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 30, 2020, 09:26:00 PM »
I think it will be totally functional!  I have a ton of room under the decks.  Design plus 3” in the least.   Be a shame to let any of that space go to waste.  My next project is to find a custom built water tank.  My SS water tank (30 gallons) price was more than my 120 gallon fuel tank.  So I opted for a different option.  It’s tough to find off the shelf stuff that “fits”.  Might go a bit smaller than 30 gallons

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 03, 2020, 02:58:53 PM »
Rbob, how did you deal with this transition?

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 03, 2020, 05:57:03 PM »
Yes challenging, but what worked for me was a cardboard tube 3.5" diameter maybe 2ft long.  I have #40 stick-it fileboard sandpaper.

Pic:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 07:05:25 PM by Rbob »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 03, 2020, 07:13:22 PM »
Okay!  How did it turn out?  Do you have a after pic too?  Im wondering if the thickness I chose added to the complexity of fairing it in.  After seeing yours.  I beveled my support piece 6 degrees
somehow my sheer is not level with the stringers across the bow.  Something moved on me.  It wasn't obvious until I started working on the pulpit.  Now I cant not see it.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 04, 2020, 07:47:08 AM »

You guys worry me .... are you cutting into the motor boards?  Got a pic from further back so I can see what's going on here?  Thx....

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 04, 2020, 08:02:45 AM »
It’s the anchor pulpit.   I used a couple pieces of lvl to support under the plywood overhang.   Here it is off the boat during its roughing in

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 04, 2020, 09:05:35 AM »
Okay!  How did it turn out?  Do you have a after pic too?  Im wondering if the thickness I chose added to the complexity of fairing it in.  After seeing yours.  I beveled my support piece 6 degrees
somehow my sheer is not level with the stringers across the bow.  Something moved on me.  It wasn't obvious until I started working on the pulpit.  Now I cant not see it.