Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 185597 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA
« Reply #495 on: April 20, 2020, 06:54:58 PM »
when I did the calcs for the COG I was real close.  I moved the 20 gallons of water to directly behind the aft cuddy bulkhead.  With that I should be right on.  Will check figures when I get back home again.  My anchor well is closed off and 1 3/8” solid with the anchor winch like DAN B.  I can put batteries anywhere I guess.  Was thinking inside a box under the captains chair.  We’ll see

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #496 on: April 21, 2020, 06:42:54 AM »

Sounds good.  Batteries are always a challenge ... they're heavy, so it's preferable to not put them inside the transom since boats, like people, tend to 'gain weight in the back' over time.  It's best if they have some ventilation too, although they don't need much.  They produce hydrogen gas.  I guess if you go with a sealed battery then you could have them in the house.  Dan Boccia is the resident expert on battery technology ... maybe he'll chime in.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 26, 2020, 10:33:58 PM »
I built some bulkheads to carry the conduits under decks for wiring, water, grey water, fuel lines and the like.  Lots time and not a lot of visual progress.  I spent a lot of time drawing it out and making changes and finally arrived at a plan I’m happy with.  I will at this point have a pair of 2” conduits from the helm aft on the sbd side and 1 just like it to the port side. Right now these are spares.  I think it should be plenty. 
  My plan as it is now is to bring them up just aft of the rear cuddy bulkhead into a compartment just in front of the helm.  Similar to what is pictured in the manual, but on the other side of the bulkhead.  I will install a removable panel just below where the helm is mounted for access

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 01, 2020, 10:20:22 PM »
Tanks giving!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:29:48 PM by Todd j »

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #499 on: May 01, 2020, 10:42:30 PM »
Nice dude. Have you worked out how you are going to support them on the underside? Is your underside V or a U shape? I am finding all kinds of conflicting info about how to stop crevice corrosion and the right/wrong way to support them. It's mind numbing.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 02, 2020, 07:33:50 AM »
Nice dude. Have you worked out how you are going to support them on the underside? Is your underside V or a U shape? I am finding all kinds of conflicting info about how to stop crevice corrosion and the right/wrong way to support them. It's mind numbing.

Consider what is done for aluminum aircraft ... Zinc Chromate Primer followed by an epoxy bottom coat (can be submersed) paint "barrier coat" type system.  Add good bonding, install so there's no water trapped against or collecting on top of the tank and voila!  You've got it!  Nice to have access for clean out or at least treat your fuel now and then with water-absorbing additives to nix the 'water in the fuel' issue causing corrosion inside the tank itself.  Keep it clean.

I like flange mounted tanks if the tank is designed for it, e.g. no cracking after slamming waves for 10 years.  This is so you can have airspace under the tank.  Second to that, I'd consider narrow runners under the tank, cross-wise, that minimize tank contact and allow drainage towards the stern.

Brian

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:36:42 AM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #501 on: May 02, 2020, 11:45:11 AM »
Regarding mounting aluminum tanks and crevice corrosion, to me it's crystal clear: Give as much of the tank as possible an air space of something like 1/2" so moisture cannot get trapped against the aluminum, and where aluminum comes in contact with the structure of the boat, it must be completely bedded in sealant that squeezes out on all sides so zero moisture can get into these areas. On a previous boat, I glued 3/4" UHMW plastic strips to the bottom of the tank, then set the tank on the floor of the boat. Done.

The tanks look good - my only comment is that I would have put both draw tube fittings on the aft side of the tanks, since when running the stern is usually lower, and thus you'll get more useful volume. I assume this tank is going to rest on the "floor" you've made, and the tabs are only holding it from sliding around, not taking any of the vertical stress? Tabs make me nervous because they concentrate loads into small points, especially with 1/8" aluminum, but if you're resting on the bottom you're good. Fuel tanks are a major milestone, congratulations!

Regarding the battery comment above, to be honest, my next batteries will be lithium-ion regardless of expense. Half the weight, way less fussy to charge, take a charge in WAY less time than lead acid batteries, and on and on. The weight savings alone are probably worth it for me.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 02, 2020, 02:38:43 PM »
Yes.  Rest on floor!
My plan, support tanks from floor, use tabs as hold down and prevent sliding.  Bed tank to supports as you suggested.  Enjoy boat!   I see your point on the fuel pickup.  The tank is only 2 and a half feet long.  So I really can’t see losing too much usable fuel while on plane.
   One milestone in the rear view!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 03, 2020, 01:38:48 PM »
  Back to fuel tanks. 
  I would like to recommend Coastline Equipment for your tanks if you have not looked into them.  David was great to deal with.  We had many back and forth conversations be email before I green lighted fabrication.  He got back to me the same day with most of my questions.  They were cheaper with freight than have a local outfit build the tanks.  My tanks are tested and coast guard approved.  The local guy could not satisfy that request, they couldn’t even test them.  I live 8 Hours south their facility and freight was cheaper than gas to get them myself!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 29, 2020, 09:21:04 AM »
Got some sleeves installed for fuel, power, water, and drains with some room for expansion.  I think this is probably more than I require.  Having said that, I think I’ve made it real easy to route stuff around the boat.  I’m sure that someone who knows what they are doing would have done a lot less.   I’m going to lay out under deck supports today.  Along with the required web stringers.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:31:18 AM by Todd j »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 29, 2020, 12:32:38 PM »
Brian, I went on without reading the plans, again.   I have preglassed a sheet of 1/2” ply for the web stringers.  Is this a deal breaker?   Should I try to use this sheet elsewhere, and go source another sheet of 3/4”?

Thx

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 30, 2020, 07:52:49 AM »
Brian, I went on without reading the plans, again.   I have preglassed a sheet of 1/2” ply for the web stringers.  Is this a deal breaker?   Should I try to use this sheet elsewhere, and go source another sheet of 3/4”?

Thx

I'll let you get away with the 1/2" ply THIS time!   ::) ;D   Half inch is fine.  I used 3/4" to help add weight to the boat down low ... part of being conservative in the design.

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 30, 2020, 06:44:28 PM »
I’ll make up for the weight difference with fuel!

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 03, 2020, 07:49:05 AM »
Todd, where did you go? How is the boat work?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 04, 2020, 12:30:25 AM »
I’m still around!   I have been spending stupid amount of time doing stuff that really shows no progress.  Still farting around with under deck stuff.  Still have 2 bulkheads to glue In on the port side.   So I still have all the port web Stringers to install.  I have 1’web stringer in on the strbd side.   I probably won’t add in anything behind the aft house bulkhead until I decide on fish boxes and hatches.  I did the Rbob homemade hatch in the house to access water pump and tank and blower fan. Today I built the hatch framing to access the cross over conduits and the shower sump.  They are time consuming, but not so bad if you can work on them and go onto soMe thing else while epoxy dries.  I’m also waiting on 2 pieces of 3” 316 stainless steel tube that I am having Our shop build.  It will carry air under the sealed decks to and from the fan so no dryer hose where it’s I accessible.