Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 185597 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA
« Reply #540 on: July 25, 2020, 11:54:08 PM »
 I am considering doing all the ph walls/windows 1/2... sounds like you agree with that decision. :) Nice bugs too... man, I would crap myself if I pullled a hoop with a bug in it like that. I guess diving kind of gives you discretion about which bug you want to go to war with...

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 26, 2020, 06:49:38 AM »
Keep in mind the the aft ph bulkhead and windshield and doubler are laid out for 1/4”.  I have some straight fir cvg that I screwed to the upper panels above and below the window openings.  That helped keep things pretty straight while my tacks cured. Once filleted and cured things really stiffen up.   With the large windows the whole thing is just kinda noodly

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 26, 2020, 01:54:40 PM »
Other side

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 28, 2020, 09:59:20 AM »
Went grocery shopping again!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #544 on: July 28, 2020, 10:03:33 AM »

Nice!!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 28, 2020, 12:07:49 PM »
I need to go shopping!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 23, 2020, 06:25:57 PM »
I got to work on the boat some this weekend.  Taped the inside bottom of the upper side panel to lower side panel joints and the lower side panel to under shear deck.  It went pretty well.  I used 12” tape.  All I could get was 9 oz.  I used Rbob’s advise and let the epoxy sit awhile before trying to put the tape on.  Worked really great!   Glassed all but the last bit of deck inside the PH.  Haven’t cut any plywood in awhile, so that will be fun to get back to it.
  As of now I have my helm chair ordered, galley sink and faucet ordered, and my refrigeration system on order.

http://www.isotherm-parts.com/product-range/isotherm-icebox-conversion-cooling-units/compact-systems/air-cooled/compact-classic-2010-x-air-cooled-large-l-evaporator-with-integrated-smart-energy-control

I was going to use the same unit as Dan B.  I changed my mind because I didn’t want to be bending over and getting on my hands and knees to get into the fridge.  I think this will make a pretty cool fridge compartment.  I will never have to bend over to get into it. 
   Dan has also caught my attention with his wet locker for drying gear.  I was going to do something similar.  I was going to have a hanger rack in the stand up head.  I’m considering changing my port side window panels and eliminating the head altogether.  I would however store the potty in that compartment along with ??????   Might even move the galley sink into it.  That would give me massive top to throw charts on, food prep, or whatever. 

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 23, 2020, 11:22:45 PM »
Todd,

Refrigeration unit sounds interesting, I take it you just need to make a insulated box  and mount it correct?  I like it.

Glad you got a lot done.   

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 23, 2020, 11:44:31 PM »
You pretty much nailed it. The plus side is I can just put ice into it if it’s on the fritz.  Still keep stuff cold, or extend the time I can keep a small amount of ice.   It’s good for 4.4 cuft.  So it’s a bit bigger than the stand alone fridge I was looking at.  If I build a sump into it that I can block off it will turn into a freezer by reducing the size of the compartment.  I doubt I would,  but it’s an Interesting proposition. 

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 30, 2020, 11:09:40 PM »
I have been doing tons of taping, glassing, aNd fairing.  All that is left In the PH is a redesign of some aft Bulkhead Details and to glass it’s inside face.  The. The PH is ready for all the glorious trinkets that are trickling in.  It’s nice to be close to the nExt stage of construction

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #550 on: September 02, 2020, 03:53:09 PM »
How do you go about determining the COG?  This seems like an important step for placing a big item like a fuel tank.

The CG is around 9' forward of the transom on a 26' GA.  Slightly farther forward on longer GA's or Kodiaks.  The thing to keep in mind is that it's not an exact science, and that items have more effect on trim the further they are from the CG.  That's why I suggest tanks and batteries, or other heavier items get placed so that they are nearer the aft pilothouse bulkhead.  Close 'nuf...

Brian
Brian,
So on my Kodiak at 30+ feet guessing my CG about 10-11+- feet forward of the transom? So whatever the CG is do you center the combined length of both tanks on the CG? I'm going with 2 tanks with duel filter systems that can run my either motor or both motors off of either tank. Thinking one will be 80 gallons the other at 40 gallons. Most often running both motors off of the 80 gallon tank thinking the 40 gallon up front could also be used for a ballast if need be and act as my reserve fuel. Or maybe the 80 should be in front of the 40?
Some info as planed at this point:
OAL 378"
Aft Cuddy B/Head 123" from bow since I am using glued in bunks you said this length was OK
Aft Wheel House B/Head 225" from bow
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 02, 2020, 09:24:46 PM »

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #553 on: September 03, 2020, 12:20:43 PM »

Yeah ... that's a good thread to refer to.  I should Sticky it....

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 08, 2020, 08:26:24 PM »
Managed a little progress yesterday.  I built 3 bulkheads that will define my galley and port side seating arrangement.   I Picked up the new helm chair.  Boy is it nice!   I hatched a plan for stove storage that I think will be pretty cool. 
  Is it standard to buy the steering and shifter/throttle before settling on a power package?  I have no idea what I want for brand.   Now thinking single 250 with a kicker.