Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 185158 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA
« Reply #600 on: November 08, 2020, 04:53:08 PM »
Ready for install!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #601 on: November 09, 2020, 05:44:05 AM »

Sweet!  What kind of paint are you using?

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 09, 2020, 06:38:10 AM »
It’s just the rustoleum topside.  I complained about it early on.  It’s still not what I’m considering a front runner. I did actually have better luck with it this time.  I send a chip brush.  Apply one coat, it’s really “streaky”.  Second coat on heavy with light brush pressure using just the tip of the brush.  Then just minor touch up before removing tape.  Much better this time than when I painted under the bunks, crash chamber, and under anchor winch.  It’s cheap and sold near me.  I might use it again inside compartments if there are any more to paint.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 09, 2020, 07:54:32 AM »

Rustoleum Marine is tough stuff, but it does have the reputation of being 'see-through'.  I tried the dark blue on a boat once and gave up on it ...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 14, 2020, 06:54:34 PM »
The change in temperature has really slowed me down.  I finally have my dinette all put together.  It needs one more fillet and it is all done.  I may tape some of the edges after a round over with the RO sander.  I think I will cut a couple hatches into the front seat of the dinette.  My seat arrangement will make it tough to use the storage without hatches. 
   I finally installed the refer components and glued the bin in.  Here is the evaporator. 

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 14, 2020, 07:03:15 PM »
Here’s some progress pics of the refer install

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 14, 2020, 07:12:15 PM »
More pics

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 14, 2020, 07:16:43 PM »
https://youtu.be/MeP7X1K3v5c

Here’s a link to a conversion to use SEC.  my install was very much the same

Here is the compressor home this morning
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:57:38 AM by Todd j »

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #608 on: November 16, 2020, 08:12:29 AM »
That's looking great. Now that you are this far in the process, would you build a refer box from scratch again or find a ready built one if you were to do it again?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 16, 2020, 03:06:48 PM »
Yes i would do it again.  More insulation, precisely fits the space, can use as standard ice box in a pinch, it will hold 25+ gallons of liquid in a pinch, the cold wont fall out when you open the door, you can hose it out and drain it down using the piped drain fittings, and lastly I dont have to bend over to use it!
HTH
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 09:45:49 AM by Todd j »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 17, 2020, 06:31:33 AM »
Yes i would do it again.  More insulation, precisely fits the space, can use as standard ice box in a pinch, it will hold 50+ gallons of liquid in a pinch, the cold wont fall out when you open the door, you can hose it out and drain it down using the piped drain fittings, and lastly I dont have to bend over to use it!
HTH

You're doing a very nice job on it too.  Well thought out ... :)

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #611 on: November 20, 2020, 06:18:02 PM »
Yes i would do it again.  More insulation, precisely fits the space, can use as standard ice box in a pinch, it will hold 50+ gallons of liquid in a pinch, the cold wont fall out when you open the door, you can hose it out and drain it down using the piped drain fittings, and lastly I dont have to bend over to use it!
HTH

You're doing a very nice job on it too.  Well thought out ... :)
I'm impressed! That would take me so much research to figure out how to build. 
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 20, 2020, 06:42:25 PM »
Nahhh, if you can build a boat......

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 25, 2020, 04:17:43 PM »
I noticed my perfectly flat door somehow ended with about a 1/8” belly in it while glassing the outsides of it.  This really bothered me and bummed me out.  I tried supporting it on the very ends and putting weight on it and no results. 
  So.  I put a stud in the rafters over the freshly glassed door and set a bottle jack under the stud before the glass was cured.   Jacked it out of whack by about 1/2” the other way.   Left town for three days.  Came in today with my fingers crossed.  The jack had let off in that time, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the crown gone, but also arrow straight.  I guess the sun does shine on every dogs ass once In Awhile.   I remembered someone else a year or so ago trying to save a warped panel of something just not who.  Anyway.  Hope someone finds this useful!

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #614 on: November 25, 2020, 10:23:02 PM »
I noticed my perfectly flat door somehow ended with about a 1/8” belly in it while glassing the outsides of it.  This really bothered me and bummed me out.  I tried supporting it on the very ends and putting weight on it and no results. 
  So.  I put a stud in the rafters over the freshly glassed door and set a bottle jack under the stud before the glass was cured.   Jacked it out of whack by about 1/2” the other way.   Left town for three days.  Came in today with my fingers crossed.  The jack had let off in that time, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the crown gone, but also arrow straight.  I guess the sun does shine on every dogs ass once In Awhile.   I remembered someone else a year or so ago trying to save a warped panel of something just not who.  Anyway.  Hope someone finds this useful!
Nice work! Good story and info that may come in handy someday, I hope not:)
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021