Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 185162 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA
« Reply #795 on: December 16, 2021, 07:53:09 AM »
Thanks,  I hope others are progressing too.  I debate will I or won’t I post progress.  It’s pretty boring around the forums lately.
   I try to do something every day.  Having every day in front of me and fishing season behind me takes the pressure off.  It’s pretty awesome taking weekends “off” from the project.  Having said that, there is no word on my outboards so why rush.  I just hope they come in so I can use the boat this June. 

Keep posting!  Lots of views...

Plans sales have slowed quite a bit since Biden got the seat, however he got it.  I suspect people, rightfully, feel less confident on this country's economic future ... BUT people are still building, plans still go out, and new builders w/questions show up all the time.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #796 on: December 16, 2021, 07:57:23 AM »
Todd, Looking real good your getting so close to the finish line. Keep plugin along, I was shocked at how much work was left after the painting.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #797 on: December 16, 2021, 08:03:15 AM »
Thanks,  I hope others are progressing too.  I debate will I or won’t I post progress.  It’s pretty boring around the forums lately.
   I try to do something every day.  Having every day in front of me and fishing season behind me takes the pressure off.  It’s pretty awesome taking weekends “off” from the project.  Having said that, there is no word on my outboards so why rush.  I just hope they come in so I can use the boat this June. 

Keep posting!  Lots of views...

Plans sales have slowed quite a bit since Biden got the seat, however he got it.  I suspect people, rightfully, feel less confident on this country's economic future ... BUT people are still building, plans still go out, and new builders w/questions show up all the time.
New builders with new boats on line soon. Shipping a Kodiak to Alaska tomorrow! Then 1 standard GA up to Washington before months end. The 3rd kit is also a Kodiak that will be staying in Oregon but likely won't start building for a few months. 
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: December 16, 2021, 09:07:12 AM »
Todd, Looking real good your getting so close to the finish line. Keep plugin along, I was shocked at how much work was left after the painting.
I can only imagine.  We made a list of stuff I think I need to be safe and happy on The water.  Things that could be done after it’s usable.  It’s another 20 grand or something stupid. 

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: December 16, 2021, 10:35:06 AM »
I quit counting!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: December 22, 2021, 09:56:08 AM »
One more time around

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #801 on: December 22, 2021, 10:18:59 AM »

You're a patient man!  It'll be worth it though ... Just figure that you're strengthening up your back, which will be useful for hauling in giant fish ... :D

Looks like you're glad you did the truss work on the shop roof ... you needed that extra height above the boat!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #802 on: December 22, 2021, 10:56:57 AM »
Looking great Todd! Nice work! Your boat is going to look awesome!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: December 22, 2021, 11:49:23 AM »
Turn up the music and hit it!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: December 22, 2021, 02:07:32 PM »

You're a patient man!  It'll be worth it though ... Just figure that you're strengthening up your back, which will be useful for hauling in giant fish ... :D

Looks like you're glad you did the truss work on the shop roof ... you needed that extra height above the boat!
Yes.  This would have been impossible without the countless hours of restoration I did on an old otherwise useless building.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: December 22, 2021, 02:10:51 PM »
I payed a grip for the Alexseal products, so I intend to use them.  That means 2 more coats of high  build primer wet on wet.  Another once around with the block.  And probably 2 coats of finish primer with another once around with the block.  At least I shouldn’t have to sand any paint!

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #806 on: December 23, 2021, 11:52:45 AM »
I payed a grip for the Alexseal products, so I intend to use them.  That means 2 more coats of high  build primer wet on wet.  Another once around with the block.  And probably 2 coats of finish primer with another once around with the block.  At least I shouldn’t have to sand any paint!

I think you are still going to want to sand your paint too before your final coat to get the best finish. The flaws are amplified each coat, so what worked best for me was to get a solid flawed base of paint built up with like 3 or so coats (orange peel, sags, etc), then give it a sand all around being careful not to blow through the color, touch up, sand that, and then put on the final coat. In any case, each step you are one step closer. I just spent another $600 on more 442 primer, converter, and thinner. Stuff is not cheap...

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: December 23, 2021, 12:05:56 PM »
It’s not cheap,  it so far it’s been decent to work with.  I used the same supplier you did and they have had good service

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: December 28, 2021, 07:52:46 PM »
Any for reals painters out there?

You can see the area that still has the guide coat on the radiused corner.  It clearly defines where the edge of the fairbody and the edge of the sheer “fade away”.   The sheer and PH are the same color...white, while the fairbody is a different color... mint blue. 
   Where should one end and the other begin?   My instinct is to run the sides just over to the sheer so the break is usually less visible.  Unless inside the boat I guess?
   Suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 08:01:38 PM by Todd j »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: December 28, 2021, 09:38:02 PM »
Todd,

You can run the paint (no pun intended) just over the edge, looks good that way.  Do you have plans for a rub-rail?  You can break the paint under the rub rail, and/or you can add an accent stripe and place a rub rail over the accent color. 

Its tough for me to decide, sometimes a non-painter aka "spouse" has a better vision.  You can always try drawing it out with colored pencils etc. 

Probably not helping I know.