Author Topic: GA28 in Bakersfield California  (Read 5613 times)

jov

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: GA28 in Bakersfield California
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2024, 01:05:13 PM »
I got the shear decks cut off and fitted to the boat. Everything came out pretty nicely, I think. All the pieces match up pretty well with each other and the shelves. Pretty happy with it so far.

I plan on working epoxying them in next week and will probably work in the cuddy area. The cuddy area is a mess from taping all the seams. I will need to do a bunch of clean up work before I can continue with the collision chamber.

jov

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2024, 01:00:17 PM »
I worked in the cuddy section of the boat this week. Spent time sanding and scraping rough spots. When I fiberglassed the bow, there was some epoxy that dripped and ran down the center of the boat. It made a big blob right about where I need to install the collision chamber. Trying to get the cuddy area smoothed up and rough finished so I can start installing things. Not real exciting.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2024, 03:51:44 PM »

Progress is progress!  As long as you do that consistently, then next thing you know ... you have a boat!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

jov

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2024, 01:12:29 PM »
I got my shear decks installed. Used a notched trowel like the guide recommend and everything worked out perfectly. Cleaned up he squeeze out and it looks good. I planned to fiberglass the top of the shelves on Saturday, but the epoxy was still a little soft. Since it is around 70 degrees or below most of the day, it is taking the full 24 hours to get a good hard cure. Got the glass cut and ready so next week it should be finished.

I think my mindset helped this week. I focused on the shear decks instead of trying to do a bunch of different things. To me it seems like I make better progress when I focus in on one smaller thing instead of trying to do several different things. Focus on the shear decks, work on them, finish them, move on.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2024, 01:58:20 PM »

Ha!  Same thing here ... I force myself to COMPLETE a task before I move on to the next.  Multi-tasking doesn't work well for me ... becomes a cluster and nothing gets completed and my tiny brain gets all filled up!  It's much nicer to complete something and to feel good about crossing an item off the list ... done.  Agree with you completely!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2024, 09:43:48 AM »

Ha!  Same thing here ... I force myself to COMPLETE a task before I move on to the next.  Multi-tasking doesn't work well for me ... becomes a cluster and nothing gets completed and my tiny brain gets all filled up!  It's much nicer to complete something and to feel good about crossing an item off the list ... done.  Agree with you completely!
I totally agree. I didn't figure that out until I was getting close to the end. I had to start checking off completed items, stay on it till it's done!!!!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

jov

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2024, 06:26:59 PM »
This past week I didn't get much done on the boat. I went fishing instead. Fly fishing on the East Fork of the San Gabriel River near Azusa. Water was pretty fast so it was tough but caught a couple. I tried out some Tenkara which I hadn't done before. I did do a little research on components for the cuddy cabin (lights, porta-potty, windows, etc.) when I got home.

The week before was a pretty productive boat building week. I got the sheer decks complete installed and glassed (picture 33). It went well, but I did make one mistake. The manual says glass the bottom face of the with 4 oz fiberglass. I decided not to because I want to put a little fillet where the sheer decks and shelves made a 90 and cover it with glass. I got it done by wetting the decks/shelves and then completely wetting out the fiberglass before applying. It turned out ok, but it was a huge hassle. Glassing overhead is not much fun. It also took a lot longer than I thought it should.

I should be ready to move on to the collision chamber now.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2024, 07:18:29 AM »

Wow ... those sheer decks look great!  Nice accurate work!

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2024, 09:54:51 AM »
Nice, boat is looking great, keep it up! I heard about someone being swept away on the San Gabriel recently on the hike to bridge to nowhere, that river can be deceptively dangerous... Good to hear you got some tho.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2024, 03:38:19 PM »
This past week I didn't get much done on the boat. I went fishing instead. Fly fishing on the East Fork of the San Gabriel River near Azusa. Water was pretty fast so it was tough but caught a couple. I tried out some Tenkara which I hadn't done before. I did do a little research on components for the cuddy cabin (lights, porta-potty, windows, etc.) when I got home.

The week before was a pretty productive boat building week. I got the sheer decks complete installed and glassed (picture 33). It went well, but I did make one mistake. The manual says glass the bottom face of the with 4 oz fiberglass. I decided not to because I want to put a little fillet where the sheer decks and shelves made a 90 and cover it with glass. I got it done by wetting the decks/shelves and then completely wetting out the fiberglass before applying. It turned out ok, but it was a huge hassle. Glassing overhead is not much fun. It also took a lot longer than I thought it should.

I should be ready to move on to the collision chamber now.

Remember how much fun you had that day when you glass the underside of the cuddy roof.  I was too impatient to glass ahead of time because i wanted to see wood on the boat.  After that nothing went onto the boat until it was glassed.  I glassed every sheet(1 side) after that as soon as I brought it home!!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2024, 09:35:08 AM »
Jov,

You are doing a fantastic job.  If you have to glass overhead or vertically (we should avoid) May I suggest a technique that will make it almost painless?  What I did was roll on 1-2 coats of epoxy and let it get tacky and apply the glass and smooth it on (press) with a gloved hand so no wrinkles, the glass will stay put and roll on your epoxy.

post 780:
https://www.glacierboats.net/forum/index.php?topic=444.msg6854#msg6854

jov

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2024, 01:28:48 PM »
This week I started working on templates for the collision chamber and the aft cuddy bulkhead. I started with cardboard and then transferred it to some scrap OSB. One of Randy Henry's videos showed using a sharpie and a washer to mark the cardboard to match the boat shape, and it really worked well.

My plan is to get as many pieces cut out on the marine plywood as possible and do the fiberglassing/fairing on my saw horses. I am going to try to avoid fairing and fiberglassing on vertical surfaces and over head as much as possible. I probably wouldn't have considered it if you guys hadn't suggested it. I figure the aft cuddy cabin bulkhead is visible on both sides so better to get started on the fiberglassing/fairing process sooner rather than later.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2024, 03:29:33 PM »

Randy posted OVER SEVENTY videos ... we're forever in gratitude...

jov

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2024, 05:42:52 PM »
I don't have much to show this week. Just been working a a bunch of little things to prepare for the cuddy cabin work. Trying to get all the templates I can finished up and cut some fiberglass for pieces as I cut them out. I have also been working on buying components to install in the cuddy. I have been working getting lights, windows, an access hatch for the collision chamber, porta-potty, etc. I am still trying to decide if I want a hatch on the cuddy roof. I am contemplating the pros and cons. I figure I have a while to decide.

My anchor winch did arrive this week. I looks really well built and tough. So far, I am pretty happy with it and the company.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 05:48:07 PM by jov »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2024, 09:37:43 AM »
They have great customer service too.  Mine stopped free-falling and they helped me make a simple adjustment over the phone.  Took less than 5 minutes, and only had to turn one screw!