Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 222266 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #1080 on: September 09, 2023, 10:02:02 PM »
Could not take it, had to do a few more things before the launch:

I need to find out why videos are blurry, sent from a buddy boat..

« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 10:43:15 PM by Rbob »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: September 09, 2023, 10:39:58 PM »
Spent the day on the water, I do have a couple minor things to address but the boat sits in the water well balanced.  I will need to move my motor down 2 holes because of prop cavitation. 

https://www.facebook.com/reel/678253187547474

https://youtu.be/mGYwmnYGkjU?si=TJ3qoUowaGMJUDIa

https://youtu.be/iN0eKB0TF50
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 11:03:11 AM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #1082 on: September 10, 2023, 07:27:04 AM »

Wow again and congratulations!!!  That's a beautiful boat! 

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1083 on: September 10, 2023, 10:20:00 AM »
Way to go! It’s great seeing you get your boat on the water! Turned out fantastic…

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1084 on: September 10, 2023, 11:51:50 AM »
Wow, this will be the 1st outboard I'm aware of that is mounted too high. Looking back to page 65, it does look like your anti-ventilation plate is a few inches higher than the bottom of the hull. It should be somewhere around 1/2" to 1" higher than the hull for every 12" back from the transom. Also interesting that your 200HP engine is getting 17mph at 3580 rpm, whereas my 250 gets me a hair over 20 knots at that rpm, which is 23 mph and our boats are approximately the same weight I think.

Your finish work in the cabin with the upholstery, headliner, etc. is exemplary. Love all your craftsmanship!

jov

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: September 10, 2023, 12:39:58 PM »
Congratulations. Looks great.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: September 10, 2023, 12:59:05 PM »
Thanks to all for the kind words, means a lot!!!

Yes my motor is mounted too high for sure; I have 2 holes to lower it so maybe it will be ok, crossing my fingers. 

It is amazing how easily it planes and how slow you can keep it on plane. I have reverse chines and the hull edges are as sharp as I could make them on the back and sides, maybe that helps a little. 

I will report back after I lower my motor.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: September 16, 2023, 10:15:25 AM »
Ok,

I lowered my motor 1.5 " It is in the top hole so no more lowering.  It is almost touching the transom.

I will take it for a test run tomorrow.  In the meantime, what do you guys think of the height?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #1088 on: September 17, 2023, 11:33:54 AM »
I probably should not chime in here because my knowledge of this kind of stuff is a bit foggy:) It's my understanding (read my prior disclaimer) your still to high. If your in your last hole moving down you might consider an extension bracket with manual or hydraulic adjustable lift. I'm pretty sure it would just mount in your existing transom holes   
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: September 17, 2023, 03:45:50 PM »
I probably should not chime in here because my knowledge of this kind of stuff is a bit foggy:) It's my understanding (read my prior disclaimer) your still to high. If your in your last hole moving down you might consider an extension bracket with manual or hydraulic adjustable lift. I'm pretty sure it would just mount in your existing transom holes

I asked so thank you for chiming in.  I have the same opinion and have considered the bracket idea, I will be heading out this afternoon for a test run.  It was easy to take the motor off so other than getting a longer rigging tube and a bracket time will tell.

The anti cavitation plate is right at 2" above the bottom of the hull so rising an inch for every foot is going to be close.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: September 17, 2023, 03:53:49 PM »

I asked so thank you for chiming in.  I have the same opinion and have considered the bracket idea, I will be heading out this afternoon for a test run.  It was easy to take the motor off so other than getting a longer rigging tube and a bracket time will tell.

The anti cavitation plate is right at 2" above the bottom of the hull so rising an inch for every foot is going to be close.

Motor looks high to me too.  Best way to check is to get on a moderate plane, say 19-20 mph or so and have someone go take a look at how the cav plate is riding ... video it and look later if you want (don't drop your phone in the drink!).

If I were you, I'd not worry about a few inches of set-back and would add a manual jack plate to your line-up.  If you ground out on a sandbar, you can jack the plate all the way up and try to use the prop to get off the sandbar - of course, send a couple of passengers over the side to rock and push the boat first (motor off, tilted up) ... running a prop close to the muck and sand can result in your cooling galleys getting plugged up ... then the marina mechanic has to poke long wires back and forth through your cooling system while trying to flush to get the muck out, and you know how summers are ... want your boat fixed fast??  Good one ... haahaaaa!  Best to stay off the sand.  In any case, a manual jack plate can help you out in an emergency and help you fine tune motor height as well.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1091 on: September 17, 2023, 03:55:45 PM »
It's also been a minute since I was dealing with this type of thing, but I think my motor on a 4" bracket was about this position or height relative to the keel, and I ran into issues with cavitation. If you do run into issues then take a good hard long look at your steering and rigging to make sure it's going to fit with whatever bracket or jack plate that you choose. I don't think there was any 4" jack plate that would fit for my motor/transom.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: September 17, 2023, 04:03:32 PM »
It's also been a minute since I was dealing with this type of thing, but I think my motor on a 4" bracket was about this position or height relative to the keel, and I ran into issues with cavitation. If you do run into issues then take a good hard long look at your steering and rigging to make sure it's going to fit with whatever bracket or jack plate that you choose. I don't think there was any 4" jack plate that would fit for my motor/transom.

json,

I studied your setup and looks like a 10" bracket would be in order if I go that route,  crossing my fingers for sure..

on edit, this is what makes this sight so great. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 04:04:36 PM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: September 17, 2023, 05:53:51 PM »

What about a 6" manual jack plate?  See any of those? 

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1094 on: September 17, 2023, 06:08:55 PM »
What about a 6" manual jack plate?  See any of those? 

I *think* my issue was the rigging tube started interfering once I got past 4". 4" put the rigging tube above the step, but didn't let the steering clear. I think once I got to 6" I started running into issues with the rigging tube. At 10" I still have some issues with the rigging tube but I just try to keep the motor turned hard to port when I am putting the motor all the way up and it clears when I have it like that. For that reason I don't think I really considered a 6" jack plate.