Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 222260 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #1095 on: September 17, 2023, 09:40:41 PM »
Test run proved that a setback bracket will be in order. 

Disclaimer.

I made the transom taller than spec, my original plan was to offset the main motor 8" and balance with the kicker motor. (remember the Nolan notch?  RIP) I changed my mind on the motor offset after I made the transom taller so that's on me.  Hindsight I would have built the transom as spec'd by Brian.

I have looked at the options, because of steering ram on front of the outboard I see at least a 10" bracket.  8" inch looks like it will have clearance problems.

Bob's machine has fixed style brackets with 1.5" lift built.  I do not see any reason I cannot mount that upside down to lower and 2 different mount options for height besides that along with the 5 holes on the outboard.

Only problem I anticipate is rigging tube length.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: September 17, 2023, 09:52:51 PM »
Brian,

Moving the motor back 10" will do what to the balance?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #1097 on: September 18, 2023, 06:22:41 AM »
Brian,

Moving the motor back 10" will do what to the balance?

With your single motor, it won't have a huge impact.  For the record, I know that I, myself, and some others have had issues with clearances versus Bob's Machine brackets.  Do your research carefully before you pull the trigger on one ... their tech support was worthless.  I'd pick a #1 manufacturer of a different brand.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #1098 on: September 18, 2023, 06:53:25 AM »
I would also verify with the tec turning upside down is not an issue. Also be sure there is no taper from top to bottom of the bracket...Just my 2 cents:) 
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: September 18, 2023, 10:00:53 AM »
I used a atlas 4” jackplate plus 4” offset fixed.  I really like the jackplate and make a game of tuning it to max economy.  I’m sure a 8” atlas would work as well.  I made a HD transom saver fwiw
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 10:03:18 AM by Todd j »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: September 18, 2023, 04:39:41 PM »
Todd,

Do you have a pic of the HD transom saver?

I need to study a little more before pulling the trigger.  Most jack plates are made to raise the motor.  Tech support at Bobs said reversing the bracket would create more clearance problems.  He did stat that the motor in the middle hole gave the most clearance.

I really like the look of the Seastar and its anodized.  Atlas / TH-marine has more adjustment. 

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1101 on: September 18, 2023, 04:47:48 PM »
The no lift brackets from Bob's combined with a jack plate moved my motor down by maybe an inch, and when combined with the setback I think that was pretty much all I needed to get my prop on the right level.

https://bobsmachine.com/product/fixed-setback-brackets-no-lift/

I am not sure if that combo would be effectively the same as just an 8" jack plate, but since there is no lift and the transom is 14° or so angled down it lowers the jack plate as a result. When I look at the jack plates on their site they all look like they have lift integrated into them, although I am not 100% sure.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 18, 2023, 04:49:03 PM »

Are you set against cutting your transom down to stock size and then refinishing it?  A hassle, yes, but maybe getting the right bracket/jack-plate combo is too?  Just wondering ...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: September 18, 2023, 10:58:08 PM »

Are you set against cutting your transom down to stock size and then refinishing it?  A hassle, yes, but maybe getting the right bracket/jack-plate combo is too?  Just wondering ...

I will avoid cutting the transom at all costs, major surgery and repainting, yuk.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: September 19, 2023, 05:25:49 AM »
I will avoid cutting the transom at all costs, major surgery and repainting, yuk.

Yeah, I see what you're saying.  I wouldn't cut the transom either.  I guess a bracket and/or jack plate is the solution.  Maybe you can mount it a couple of inches low and also gain some advantage from the water rising behind the boat? Well ... it's all "new boat stuff" ... sometimes it takes a little to work minor bugs out and then after that, you just use it and have fun without stopping to think about it.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 05:27:53 AM by Brian.Dixon »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: September 20, 2023, 07:45:27 PM »
Thank to everyone for the input, seeing what Todd and Json did helps.  I did more measuring and phone calls to ech support.  I ordered the 10" fixed bracket since it mount the motor just as low as the adjustable bracket, just have to use cherry picker.  I should not have to move once I get it set.

In the mean time Tiffanny and I installed the graphics, it was Tiffany's design.  She has graphics background and a keen eye for detail.

Her are a few pics:

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: September 21, 2023, 06:00:48 AM »

Wow!  Beautiful graphics!  Did you have a vinyl shop make decals or are they painted on?

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 21, 2023, 01:53:43 PM »
They are decals, Tiffany did the design and we sent it in to Boat Lettering to you, they sent us the proof's.  They have stock graphics you can insert, we called them and they had us send it in.

https://boatletteringtoyou.com/lettering/

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: September 21, 2023, 04:33:05 PM »

Sweet!  I've bookmarked them ... might need them myself!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: September 23, 2023, 11:37:20 PM »
I will try to get pic of the transom saver I made in The morning.  FWIW I think my marine mechanic had to trim a bit off the top of the 4” spacer brackets that the jack plate mounts to.  The entire jack plate was a pain altogether.  I would do different next time.