Author Topic: Bow thruster  (Read 7577 times)

jadranko

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Bow thruster
« on: February 12, 2010, 06:36:36 PM »
Is it possible to install bow thruster ?

If u install generator, what will be your favorite placement ?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Bow thruster
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 11:39:56 PM »

This boat is not a deep-V type of boat and it's light weight.  It doesn't sit deep enough in the water to allow a bow thruster, but it's hull form and weight will allow easy maneuvering at the dock anyway, so you don't need one.

As far as where to put something like a generator, the first answer is "where it is well ventilated!".  The second answer is "Give me a general layout and I will plug it into the CG analysis and will help you fine tune your boat for best trim".  I'll help any builder of a GA perform layout analysis for weight and balance so the boat's CG remains in an appropriate envelope and so that the boat trims out properly.  As you progress, ideas will change along the way, but I am happy to work with you on it... repeatedly, and especially for the heavier items (appliances, fuel storage, water storage, powering options).

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

jadranko

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:50:05 AM »

This boat is not a deep-V type of boat and it's light weight.  It doesn't sit deep enough in the water to allow a bow thruster, but it's hull form and weight will allow easy maneuvering at the dock anyway, so you don't need one.

As far as where to put something like a generator, the first answer is "where it is well ventilated!".  The second answer is "Give me a general layout and I will plug it into the CG analysis and will help you fine tune your boat for best trim".  I'll help any builder of a GA perform layout analysis for weight and balance so the boat's CG remains in an appropriate envelope and so that the boat trims out properly.  As you progress, ideas will change along the way, but I am happy to work with you on it... repeatedly, and especially for the heavier items (appliances, fuel storage, water storage, powering options).

Brian

Ok lets start with what I want to have on boat from heavier stuff.

400 liters of fuel, about 100 gallons split in 2 tanks

100 liters of water, about 25 gallons

100 liters aquarium for live baits, about 25 galons

2 x 115 hp evinrude e-tec 2 x 400 lbs seat back from transome 26"

1 x 15 hp evinrude e-tec 150 lbs seat back from transome 26" ( in the middle of two 115s)

honda EU 3.0i generator 66x45x54cm  61 kg so it is around  135 lbs

2 x Steca PF 166 refrigerator/ freezer 2 x 60 kg equals 270 lbs

batteries 4 x 230 Ah arround 200 kg it is around 440 lbs

I think that all from heavy stuff if I forgot some important thing please warn me.

Jadranko

P.S. I like very much the appearance of visor on Prince Rupert cabin but I will build cabin without it, u also sad several times that this is light boat so I dont want add height couse of wind, it will act like sail.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:58:08 AM by jadranko »

jadranko

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 10:23:12 AM »
Also I would like to shorten cabin a little bit, for that small window in the middle of two bigger ones and extend a roof in a way that will cover half of aft deck which is left open.

jadranko

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 06:06:14 PM »
I am done a little sketch of my ideas for now :

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 01:17:03 AM »
Hello again ...I'd be happy to plug your info into my CG model and get back to you.  Give me a couple of weeks or so since we are now in the midst of moving into a new house and I'm also in the midst of changing my CG spreadsheet into US Navy format, reorganized around systems and components the way the navy does it, etcetera.  I'm only about 25% done in the spreadsheet switchover, so it'll be a little bit...

BTW, Nothing wrong with your pilot house and roof idea....

Thx,
Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>