Author Topic: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado  (Read 94855 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 10:47:15 AM »
I'm not sure which brand lvl I have.  I don't think they are coated.  I'm betting if it's not obvious by sight a scrape with a pocket knife or drag a carbide scraper over should tell the tale

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 01:04:29 PM »
I'm not sure which brand lvl I have.  I don't think they are coated.  I'm betting if it's not obvious by sight a scrape with a pocket knife or drag a carbide scraper over should tell the tale

You can easily see and feel it if you have it.  If you're wondering .... then no, your wood is naked and had no coatings.

bd
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 05:20:59 PM »
This is great info, I was wondering for a while (until I read this) if I was going to have to redo my stringers and transom, as after the fact I re-read the wax part. They are BC Versa-Lam though so, according to this, they are fine! :P In all honesty though, while I was contemplating it, I did double-check that the glass was firmly adhered to it, and there is no getting it off without basically grinding it, so I assumed it was fine. The only thing that made me question it in the back of my mind was that one side looked a little darker than the other, but if it was coated in wax I am pretty sure it wouldn't have just been coated on a single side. Good to know, and glad to see some sawdust being made here.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 09:22:16 PM »
Yea I do have a hand planer Brian. After you mentioned it I am going out tomorrow and use that, had the standing planer in my head and didn’t think of that. Todd, jump in anytime that’s what I love about the forum, I get lots of ideas here. Just to jump in on what brian said, the wax is really light. I got most of it off with a hand scrapper. I can see how epoxy would not stick to it.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »
My Bosch power hand planer is one of my 4 favorite tools:

• Bosch jig saw
  • 5" Random orbital sander (several brands - I'm partial to Milwaukee)
  • Sandvik carbide scraper
  • Bosch power hand planer
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 04:19:26 PM »
The mag 7 1/4 is in my top 3.  I love it!

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 07:06:36 PM »
My Bosch cleaned off the wax perfectly. Now I have to wait on epoxy and plywood to get here, hopefully next week

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 08:19:48 AM »
My Bosch cleaned off the wax perfectly. Now I have to wait on epoxy and plywood to get here, hopefully next week

Hurry up and wait, eh?

:D

Brian

davidnolan

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 09:16:16 AM »
Ive bought versalam and some had wax and some didn't.       you will know right away...

davidnolan

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 09:17:57 AM »

• Bosch jig saw

I have two new favorites... the harbor freight 4.5 inch flap disk.... omg that takes off anything!!!      next, the wen air filtering thing... amazon.   it clears the shop in minutes....  its very nice to have

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 04:34:51 PM »

• Bosch jig saw

I have two new favorites... the harbor freight 4.5 inch flap disk.... omg that takes off anything!!!      next, the wen air filtering thing... amazon.   it clears the shop in minutes....  its very nice to have

I wish I had a shop air filter.... :(

Brian

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 04:56:53 PM »
Got all my stuff today. I know there’s  a cool ass boat in there somewhere. Built a heated epoxy cabinet into the bench, thought it can’t be good to freeze epoxy, plus it’s always warm for use. Only heat the shop when I need it.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 07:46:24 AM »
That's what I did in Alaska ... but my hot box was heated by a 40w bulb and was made out of 2" thick foil-backed foam ... just lift the box off to use the epoxy.  I kept the shop at 38 F until within a day of working on the boat, then turned it up to 60 F and allowed both shop and boat to come up to temp before using epoxy again (24 hour heat-up).

Brian

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 09:14:12 AM »
Can I glass the main stringer once I flip  the boat over?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2019, 02:35:51 PM »
Can I glass the main stringer once I flip  the boat over?

You certainly can.  I generally like to glass the main stringers before they're installed, but you can install them and then glass them after the boat's flipped if you want.  Glass them before adding the stringer-to-hull fillets and glass tape so that it'll overlap the glass already on the stringers.  Otherwise, go for it.  Whichever seems easiest to you.

BTW, the reason that I like to glass them before they go in the boat is so that I don't have to trim the glass to fit the hull that way ...you just add the glass, then when mostly cured, you use a random orbital sander w/80-grit along the edges (bevel side that fits the boat hull) to trim glass off .... fastest glass trimming in the west.  The downside to glassing ahead of time is that you usually have to flip (or hold on edge) the stringer to do the 2 sides separately (or all at once if held on edge).  Big and heavy beams ... no method is perfect. :)

Brian

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 02:45:35 PM by Brian.Dixon »