Author Topic: Splash Well  (Read 2123 times)

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
Splash Well
« on: July 29, 2017, 09:13:06 AM »
Hi Guys,
Any advice on the depth requried for a splash well for a Yamaha or Suzuzki 90.  I know there are a few variables.  Any input appreciated.
Ken

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
Re: Splash Well
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 10:12:22 AM »
I downloaded the spec's for the specific OB's I was interested in. It was simple to figure, the cad drawings they provided gave more tan enough info to draw my design on paper. If indeed you are just starting, you are a very long way from worrying about the clearance.
It is best to build the splashwell last, as that is the best way to get in and out of the boat. Once you build the splashwell, you are relegated to climbing over the side which after a thousand or more trips in and out adds a lot of mileage!
The only thing I would caution about is that if you raise the deck, it will have an effect on the splashwell. Because of that, I drew mine out beforehand in CAD.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Splash Well
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 09:28:36 PM »
Cannon- thanks for the reply and advice.  I checked out your build pics, very nice!  I am a bit of an interloper on this site.  I am actually building an Outer Banks 26 designed by Graham Byrnes.  It is the first of this design and I don't have a community of builders or the detailing in the plans that Brian includes in his.  I bought a set of GA plans and find them every helpful for "stealing" ideas. 
The Outer Banks 26 underbody has a lot of similarities to the GA.
Anyway, thanks for the help.  I am sure I will be back asking for more input from the GA community.
Here are some pics of my build if you have any interest.
https://goo.gl/photos/42vU3BKQDsnMxbPp9
Cheers,
Ken