Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 224601 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #780 on: January 18, 2021, 11:14:05 AM »
Update,

I finished the fillets and taping the roof, and modified my front hatch opening a little, I had built it with square corners and rounded them glassed and added fillets.  I topped the fillets with fairing compound while still tacky.

Did I say how fun glassing and filleting overhead is?    I put a pencil line on the cabin side to line the glass up and blue tape on the edge of the roof to protect the paint.  Process was roll on a coat of epoxy, wait till slightly tacky, add fillets and put the glass tape on dry, and roll on epoxy to wet out.  The dry glass sticks to the epoxy and stays put, lined it up on the pencil line and pushed it upwards into the fillet and onto the inner roof.   

The fillet wetout the glass, wish I took a pic of that. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #781 on: January 25, 2021, 07:36:50 AM »

Great progress .. love the curves and style, and the big hatch!  I'm not in favor of minimal hatches - big ones let you get out more easily when the chips are down and the keel is up!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 09, 2021, 11:41:15 AM »
I have been working on the storage compartments, seems to be very time consuming but I am almost done.

Looking back I wish I glassed a sheet or two of 1/2" plywood both sides and at least one fill coat.  It would have saved a lot of time glassing and adding fill coats to these little pieces.

There are 3 lids, only showed one with edge glassed.

Pics:

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 11, 2021, 10:53:18 AM »
I mounted the lids and drilled and filled the screw holes oversize and bedded the mortise lock, that was a little scary to remove.  I wrapped the lock with packing tape and coated with wd-40 and slid it into the hole that was 2/3 full of gel magic.

The battery box lid is lift off type hinges.

Pics:

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #784 on: February 11, 2021, 03:17:46 PM »

Wow!  Nice work! Kinda like bedding the action on a rifle...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 12, 2021, 04:55:11 PM »
"Kinda like bedding the action on a rifle..."

That's what I thought after I removed it.

Well one thing led to another, I did not like the way the strike plate captured the door latch, and the hole I drilled was just into wood so I made the improved version, just have to glue it in tonight.  The phenolic sheet is not drilled thru.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 06:56:23 PM by Rbob »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 13, 2021, 08:58:02 AM »
The plastic piece in the door jamb is a great idea.   Are you happy with the way your striker plate came out?   When I flush my door to the aft edge of the PH bulkhead my striker plate won’t stick out past the bulkhead. 
  The only way I see to fix it would be to cheat the mortised lock away from the centerline of the door edge.   

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 13, 2021, 09:19:43 AM »
Phenolic sheet is harder to cut than aluminum, amazing stuff.  I will fit the striker plate today.  Dealing with 14" of snow this morning so a round of shoveling walkways for me.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 13, 2021, 10:33:28 PM »
Snails pace today, mounted the Wallas heater, forgot to take a pic but will ad it tomorrow.  Installed the latch plate and mortise latch and tested.  Closes with just a swing and sounds solid:

https://youtu.be/Wioos9ISqdA

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 13, 2021, 09:52:10 PM »
Brian, can you move this the the projects section?

I have worked some on the boat, sanded one complete side including upper sides and have the other side upper sanded so a little more sanding before applying primer surfacer.  I am dragging my feet a little since I need it to warm up somewhat before painting.

I cut out and glassed my overhead fishing pole storage rack and applied fill coats on both sides today so tomorrow I can glue them in permanently.  I purchased storage racks and could not bring myself to install the plastic pieces...

Luckily I have a router and a pattern bit and double-sided tape and some leftover epoxy..

1/4" bungee cord used to secure pole in the open slots. Not in the pics

pics:

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #790 on: June 13, 2021, 10:26:58 PM »
Nice. I have been hemming and hawing over this for my boat, this is a cool way of doing it. Thanks for sharing.

RCPDesigns

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #791 on: June 14, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »
Great solution, will definitely do something similar.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #792 on: June 14, 2021, 09:26:12 PM »
I like it!! Did you figure out the spacing or did you have a pattern to measure. What are the center to center dimensions of the full round holes? Looks like about a 1 1/2" hole for the butt end of the rod?
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 14, 2021, 10:50:45 PM »
Chuck I can measure tomorrow, the holes are 1.75" 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352899863302

Off shrimping thru Saturday.

on edit, lining the slots with this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B5FNRA8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:54:10 PM by Rbob »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 15, 2021, 09:43:16 AM »
Holes are 4.5" on center.