Author Topic: Radar, depth finder, plot charter READ THIS BEFORE BUYING  (Read 3377 times)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
Radar, depth finder, plot charter READ THIS BEFORE BUYING
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:12:23 AM »
A little help please. Starting to do research on electronics. My limited experience tells me I need radar, a depth finder and a plot charter. Who can guide me in the right direction or tell me where I am incorrect. I realize this does not include radios. Not sure if I want an all in one device or separate units. Any thoughts welcome. Brands and model numbers appreciated if you have a good product. I’m not a big tech guy. Just need enough to keep me off the rocks and out of trouble.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:35:35 AM by Brian.Dixon »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Radar, depth finder, plot charter
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 02:44:04 PM »
If you went all Garmin or all Furuno, you wouldn't be far off.  Both make 'recreational grade' radars for between $1k and $1500 that are fantastic.  Fish-finders are usually separate but combo in what they can do.  Hopefully someone who's been doing recent shopping, including networkability of the boat motor and various electronics, that'd be good info for you.  There're a lot of options ... I'd also go in person and spend time with good sales reps and go home with pamphlets and new questions....

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 04:45:44 PM »
I went with Raymarine. You really should have them all networked to really get the most benefit out of each unit. Raymarine’s network is real easy to install and has worked flawlessly. I spent more time worrying than actually installing.  Your radio will also work intimately with the network should you choose to go that route. When buddy fishing, you can monitor your friends location every time they key the mike!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 05:50:53 AM »
I went with Raymarine. You really should have them all networked to really get the most benefit out of each unit. Raymarine’s network is real easy to install and has worked flawlessly. I spent more time worrying than actually installing.  Your radio will also work intimately with the network should you choose to go that route. When buddy fishing, you can monitor your friends location every time they key the mike!

Good call ... I knew I was forgetting one of the brands. 
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Before buying electronics in the PNW/Alaska, READ THIS
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 02:58:10 AM »
Just seeing this, wish I had seen it sooner.

If you're anywhere in the northwest, particularly the Portland area, and can get a visit with Brian at Navsource Marine, he's a gold-mine of practical, no-BS information. Aside from all his work on Columbia River tugs, yachts, etc. what really sold me is that he often comes up to Alaska to outfit fishing charter boats, so I met him in Homer last summer when he was completely re-outfitting a 50-ft Delta charter boat. I met the captain when I came aboard, and the captain pulled me aside and said, "Look, this is my 9th charter boat, and nobody else touches my electronics. He's your guy". His installation was beautiful. I was immediately sold. I love working with someone who knows the equipment and has the practical experience of actually installing *and* going out and commissioning and testing the gear to be sure the networking, etc. is all good.

So I bought my entire package from Brian after we had a couple of solid discussions about what I wanted and what he recommended. It's mostly Simrad, and I'm very happy with it. It was so refreshing to trust someone's advice and not have to do all the research myself. I'll be installing it in the next couple months, gotta finish my electrical first.

http://www.navsourcemarine.com/

[EDIT] Thank you, Dan!  I'm stickying this one :) [EDIT]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:34:52 AM by Brian.Dixon »