Author Topic: 1/3 and or 1/2 sheet sander  (Read 1159 times)

gump

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
1/3 and or 1/2 sheet sander
« on: September 04, 2022, 08:22:45 AM »
Would a sander of this type be useful?

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/BO3710

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: 1/3 and or 1/2 sheet sander
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 09:53:18 AM »

OK ... I'll give it a shot.  Short answer: Yes, a finishing sander is good to have since it's (primarily forward/backward) motion makes it easier to sand one side of an inside-corner without gouging into the adjacent side (common with a round random-orbital).

For vibratory sanders, there are 3 types that I know of:

1. Random-orbital.  The sander moves the sanding head in an elliptical/orbital motion AND spins the head at the same time ... fairly random, good for avoiding cross-grain scratches on wood (not an issue for sanding epoxy)

2. Orbital (like the Makita you've referenced).  The sander moves the pad in an ellipotical/orbital motion, but no spin.  Since it's not directly forward/backward motion, it is less likely to leave cross-grain scratches on wood.  Again, not an issue for epoxy.

3. Forward/backward pad motion.  Motion is not elliptical or orbital.  Requires that you keep it moving to blend areas as you sand.

Except for very fine sanding, I would avoid sanders that only spin or use driven belts of sandpaper since (unless you need aggressive sanding/shaping).  I like random-orbital the best and use it for almost everything.  As mentioned above, the non-random orbitals (most finishing sanders) are good for along an inside corner and help prevent sanding damage to the adjacent side.  All sanders need a degree of skill, but orbital or random-orbital are easiest to use.

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

gump

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 12:11:48 PM »
That is some good info there.

I was wondering if it would be good for fairing large area with the big flat surface and I have always wanted one. When I buy a tool I like to buy a quality one, one time.

from Makita "Ideal for cabinet workers, boat builders or furniture makers"

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 05:39:13 PM »
That is some good info there.

I was wondering if it would be good for fairing large area with the big flat surface and I have always wanted one. When I buy a tool I like to buy a quality one, one time.

from Makita "Ideal for cabinet workers, boat builders or furniture makers"

I think longer/wider would be good for fairing.  45-deg up, 45-deg down, vertical and horizontal ... like long-boarding
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 10:56:31 PM »
Being a tool junkie, I like the Festool Rotex sanders with their dust collection system. The "aggressive " setting removes epoxy fast and the dust collection is excellent. I have the small one and the 5 inch model. They are expensive, but worth every cent to me in this big undertaking. I believe Bosh is making a similar machine with dual modes, at a cheeper price, so may be something to look into. Whenever I sand epoxy without good dust extraction, my paper gums up fast. . Also don't forget the Carbide scraper, not only is it a good aerobic workout, but it smooths out things nicely with shavings, not dust!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 07:17:35 AM »
I've drooled over Festool for years ... never sprung for them yet, but may after we move into the house (in construction) and out of the 'studio' that we've got set up in the shop...

One thing that I like about the carbide scraper versus sanding is that it shaves off high spots.  Sanding tends to take down high and low pretty equivalently and isn't as helpful in getting rid of high spots.  Do some fairing on Douglas Fir ply sometime and you'll see what I mean (hard grain, soft wood between the grain lines).