Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 222172 times)

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #1170 on: February 11, 2024, 12:27:42 PM »
Todd I'm quite positive the Kokopelli trailers have just a single set of bunks. That's what I recall of mine. It's rare that I have a problem centering the boat, but it does happen.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: March 18, 2024, 12:47:24 PM »
The bow roller is a hard rubber and was causing paint damage so I added a stainless steel protector.   I ordered flat ones and did my best to form fit with some wood and a bfh.  There is a little gap so i added some butyl.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: March 21, 2024, 07:06:26 PM »
I did the same thing, only yours is prettier.  2nd haul and mine was scuffed up.  I like yours better
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 08:03:33 PM by Todd j »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: March 22, 2024, 10:16:07 AM »
Todd,

I just hope it stays on, not to confident about the adhesive that was used.  If it comes off I will get one with the red 3m vhb tape.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: March 26, 2024, 09:35:12 AM »
I had a small amount of sideways movement on one side as mine was 2 pieces. I just put a couple screws in it and some 5200.  BTW hammer forming is really cool.  Ive always wanted to try making something

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: March 26, 2024, 05:55:30 PM »
"Ive always wanted to try making something"

Making a boat counts!!

BTW This is the first time I have hammer formed, crude but worked out. One big smack with a 3lb hammer did it. Making the form the right width and routing the edges.  In hindsight I would have made the driven block longer instead of holding another block on a smaller block, Does that make sense?

Need to get fishing and stop wishing.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: March 29, 2024, 08:13:14 PM »
Yes, I see what you mean about the block.  Have you seen "japhands make it custom" on YouTube?  I'm not in the industry, but I think this kid is really talented and does also do some really cool hammer forming.  I have a pretty short attention span and have started into knife making.  I'm nearly finished with building a 2 x 72 belt grinder. 
   Yup, I made a boat.  It's a blast, I love being on the water in it.  It has exceeded my expectations all around.  Are you done with all the shake down stuff yet?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #1177 on: March 30, 2024, 06:53:30 AM »

It looks and sounds like maybe leaving the UHMW (or wood) strip off the bow just above the lower bow eye ... easier to fit a bow protector onto the bow.  Maybe would even open up some commercially-made products that are designed for a simple V-shape bow.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 30, 2024, 09:31:28 AM »
Shake down run, I need one more run to be sure, just been busy on house remodel so my priorities are messed up right now.  I watched japhands, that is an amazing skill, they make it look easy.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: March 30, 2024, 11:16:54 AM »
Shake down run, I need one more run to be sure, just been busy on house remodel so my priorities are messed up right now.  I watched japhands, that is an amazing skill, they make it look easy.

Puget Sound?

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: March 30, 2024, 11:49:23 AM »
Yes, Puget Sound.  I launch out of Zittel's Marina on Johnson Point.  I am 5 minutes from there.  I loved it when we could crab here.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 30, 2024, 03:44:51 PM »

It looks and sounds like maybe leaving the UHMW (or wood) strip off the bow just above the lower bow eye ... easier to fit a bow protector onto the bow.  Maybe would even open up some commercially-made products that are designed for a simple V-shape bow.
I don?t remember this in the plans, but without the piece
You refer to sure made my job easier.  I added a pic in my post above

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 31, 2024, 06:09:52 AM »

I don?t remember this in the plans, but without the piece
You refer to sure made my job easier.  I added a pic in my post above

You're right.  The plans mention leaving the strip off in the area around the bow eyes, but not an area for a bow guard.  Basically, the area that you leave off for the lower bow eye would just be extended upward to make room for the guard.  I'll add it to my notes for the plans update that I'm working on ...