Author Topic: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK  (Read 66211 times)

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Re: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2019, 02:11:04 PM »

Finally, I hadn't really thought about anchoring up while halibut fishing, plus pulling a 22-lb anchor and 40-ft of 5/16" chain in colder weather is not going to be fun, so the latest project is sizing a drum anchor winch, probably from EZ Anchor Puller company. Much less fussy than a windlass and all above decks installation, plus lots of people here in Alaska love them.

When we anchor for bottom fishing, we use the float system for anchor retrieval, like this.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHIUVuc_M4I
Works great when you're the only boat around, and you are in reasonably open conditions.

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2019, 03:42:36 PM »
Thanks Jim, problem is I often anchor in tight coves, some of which are surprisingly deep, so not enough room to comfortably use the float system consistently, plus handling all that wet line later in October or early March is going to be pretty cold and slippery work. I'm strongly leaning toward the drum anchor winch.

Meanwhile, the quickest/easiest boat project yet - rain visors for the portlites. Ventilation through the boat while camping is even more crucial when it's raining, so this is a simple fix to allow the portlites to be open even when raining. Also good while the boat is parked at home on the trailer - no worries about rain entering while allowing for some ventilation.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2019, 07:10:24 PM »
Those look great !

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2019, 07:55:55 AM »
Dan,

That is a great pot puller, I have a friend with one and have used its lots pulling shrimp pots.

Your boat keeps looking better, cant wait to see your anchor winch system installed, the drum system looks trouble free with more usable space below as a bonus. 

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2019, 02:04:23 AM »
Finally slowing down enough to post some pictures of this fall's continued outfitting work.

The anchor winch is surprisingly compact, yet still has 500 ft 1/4" dyneema, 100 ft 3/8" double braid for a shock absorption snubber, and 40 ft of chain. Had fun learning how to splice an eye properly in double-braid. The anchor winch is not really that noticeable from outside the boat - looks like it is supposed to be there. Ran 2 AWG wire from the house battery all the way forward to the winch, using a MRBF fuse right in the house battery box. Took some re-working of the battery box to get everything to fit and be over-current protected.

Installed an Ongaro windshield wiper synchronizer in my electrical cabinet, and it works like a jewel. Wiper system works perfectly now.

Installed the charge controllers and rest of the wiring for the solar system, and it works incredibly well - it even produces power when the whole system is covered in a blue tarp!

The boat electrical and major rigging is now complete. Only thing remaining is a swim step and ladder to be installed on the port side of the transom, and some trim and storage work inside the cabin. Prince William Sound has been a mess this fall so was not able to get out for hunting trip, so putting the boat away for the winter and will report back next spring with the final touches and to report on engine performance now that I've installed a less aggressive prop.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 02:46:35 AM by Dan Boccia »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2019, 06:26:54 AM »

Hi Dan ... thanks, as always, for your posts and pictures.  It takes time and effort, and it's nice to see someone go that extra mile for our sake here in the forums!

Is that windlass custom?  It looks very natural on your boat!  Great capacity too ... necessary for fishing Alaska's deeep waters :)

Can you share who your solar company is?  Do you have solar design guides for cabins, boats, and that sort of thing?  Is it YOUR company ... or, what's your role there?  Your knowledge seems deep and professional ... guys like me need guys like you to help us on solar stuff :D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2019, 12:32:22 PM »
The anchor winch (it's not a windlass technically) is from EZ Anchor Puller, model EZ-4. Not a single custom thing about it. Just be sure you beef up the underside of the anchor well - it comes with an aluminum backer plate, but I still wanted a full 1" of plywood/glass/epoxy underneath the footprint of it, 1/2" just didn't seem enough. Also, you need to calculate the wire size to handle the 100A motor!

I work for Anchorage Solar part time, helped him start the business and do special projects for him. Given that I'm an engineer and also have been in the building trades for 30+ years, it's a good fit for me. I don't really need the work but the owner is a friend with stellar integrity and we have an awesome crew so it's easy to want to be involved. Solar for marine applications is covered fairly well in Calder's book, and also Pacific Yacht Systems has several very good Youtube videos on marine electrical and a couple specifically on solar. At this point I'm pretty comfortable with all the marine electrical and very comfortable with the solar aspect. If anyone wants help I may be able to assist.

Happy to post to the forum, I've gotten a lot of good ideas from here!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 12:34:57 PM by Dan Boccia »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2019, 01:13:58 PM »
Thanks :D   I haven't taken the time to look into solar solutions yet, but want to ... I'm working on a new website (different business) and conversion of the GA plans to metric at the moment ... well, LOTS of moments :)

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2019, 08:44:02 PM »
Finished a few finicky exterior outfitting projects since it's been so crazy warm up here. First up, lexan awnings so one window on each side of the cabin can remain open even if it's raining - a critical consideration for spending several days camping. Considered fabric and a few other approaches, and had to do a lot of tinkering to get to this result. On the 3rd photo (sorry it's out of focus) you can see the aluminum spacer between the main aluminum angle, and the interior fastener is a knurled thumb-screw threaded through the aluminum angle to capture the lexan (there's a matching hole in the lexan) so it doesn't fly away in the wind. The end of the screw comes just shy of making contact with the roof, and I used a rubber washer so when you crank down on the screw, it compresses the washer and thus should not rattle out. We'll see!

Next up the pot puller mount, which needed a cap/plug to keep water out of the locker it runs into. Finally schemed up a modified DWV test plug that works perfectly.

And finally, an off-the-shelf Garelick swim step, with a 3-rung collapsible ladder. Plenty of room to clear the main engine. Through-bolted on top and lagged on bottom. I love this particular ladder - no rattling and easy to deploy and store. Will balance out the kicker a little bit. With the 100+ pounds added on the bow with the anchor roller, I'm not worried about a bit of additional weight on the transom.

The exterior outfitting of the boat is now complete - just some inside storage to add, which will be on-going next year.

That's it for the year, boat is tarped off and I'm prepping for other adventures. Looking forward to April!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:50:09 PM by Dan Boccia »

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2019, 10:34:08 PM »
Dan- What size and type of tabs did you go with?
Ken

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2019, 12:42:11 AM »
Ken, I went with the Lenco 9" x 18" standard mount kit, part # 15002-101. I'm very happy with them. You could go as small as 12" wide, but I think 18" wide is just about right, at least for my 28. I see no reason to go hydraulic at all and know a couple people with the Lencos and they have held up well.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2019, 07:09:35 AM »

Can you explain more on those lexan 'awnings'?  They don't look hinged, so I assume you attach them when needed?

On those wires going through the bulkhead, I'd recommend either lining the perimeter of the hole with non-abrasive plastic or would tie-wrap and stabilize the wires so they don't rub on the pass-through hole - Like what is done on aircraft with wiring in hidden places such as inside fuel tanks.  Just an FYI - and I'm sure you've already been thinking about it.

Anyway ... as always, your boat is perfection incarnate!

Brian

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2019, 11:15:24 AM »
Brian, the lexan fits in between the roof and the aluminum L, then I run the thumbscrews up, and they're in. To take them out, undo the thumbscrews, pull the lexan out, dry thoroughly, and store under a bunk mattress, then run the thumbscrews back up snug so they don't rattle out. Being flat and about 1/8" thick, the lexan sheets store easily.

And yes, now that the wiring is done, tying and anchoring the wire bundle is on the list before the next trip, you're absolutely right.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »
That swim platform is awesome!

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: November 06, 2019, 12:51:23 PM »
Dan- What size and type of tabs did you go with?
Ken
My boat is slower and they spec a 24x9. I am planning to go with electric but still vacillating between Lenco, Bolt and Electrotab.
Ken