Author Topic: GA 26 in Homer Alaska  (Read 85888 times)

River_Final

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GA 26 in Homer Alaska
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2020, 06:22:18 PM »
Hi Dave, finished your build thread.  Very nice boat.  Looking through your poor is not obvious to me how your decks sit on top of the fuel tank flanges when they sit on top of the stringers??   Can you take a moment and clarify please.  Thanks Todd

I'd be interested to know as well. I really like what you did with the fuel tanks. You have a beautiful boat, and as others have said, thank you for taking the time to chronicle the build so well.

GP

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2020, 09:33:41 PM »
Todd and River - Look at post #123 of this thread for your answer on how the floor goes over the fuel tanks. Just like mine, Dave raised the back deck floor something like 2 1/2" above the stringers, and kept the tank fittings very low profile, so the deck fits right over the fuel fittings no problem.

River_Final

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2020, 10:53:09 PM »
Thank you Dan, I see now. Somehow I only saw the first photo with the tank hanging on the stringers.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 17, 2020, 07:32:46 AM »
FWIW my tank manufacturer would not  allow me to hang the tank from the stringers.  I opted to have tabs welded instead of a continuous flange.  It actually saved  me a couple hundred bucks.  I will need to provide under tank support.  The tabs will locate the tank during the build.  The method Dave used in this build is much simpler than what I ended up doing. 
   Every eye looks at something and provides a solution.  There’s more than 1 way to skin a cat

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2020, 10:30:03 AM »
My tank fabricator is doing tabs for me as well, and said they hang their tanks from welded-on tabs all the time, and had no qualms with me doing that other than questions about whether or not the stringers would be sufficiently strong. I am going to build supports underneath anyways, but it's just interesting how different shops have different takes on this.