Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Projects - Glacier Boats of Alaska boat projects / Re: GA Boat Trailer Build.
« Last post by Todd j on May 15, 2024, 10:27:31 PM »
Sweet corner gussets!
More pictures. 
Couple of more pictures of the trailer build.

If you do a lot of fabrication projects.  Look into Fireball tool. They make a lot of handy widgets for welding!
I did get a little more done. I cut some holes in the top pieces of my collision chamber. I am going use a couple 8" Armstrong deck plates. One would be enough but the asymmetry was bothering me so I went with two. One thing I did figure out was using a circle guide for my router and scrap pieces to figure out the correct hole size.

I spent quite a bit of time working on fairing the side/shelves connection. I did a fillet and glassed the connection when the boat was upside down. Looking at it now it was not the cleanest work. I figure since at least some of it will be visible in the cuddy cabin it needed to be cleaned up. I understand why it ended up that way. Working under the upside down boat with limited light was difficult, but it did make a bunch of work to clean up now. I will try to avoid doing stuff like that again. It was difficult then but now it costs me time now.

The other thing I got done was the start of a 3D model (picture 42). Before I flipped the hull I took a lot of pictures (300+ per side) to use in a program called Meshroom. It is a photogrammetry software. Basically the idea is take a bunch of pictures from different angles and then you can use the software to build a 3D model based on the pictures. The model that gets spit out needs work to become usable, but it seems like it did a good job at matching the shape my hull. I am planning on using the model to figure out some of item placements. Trying to figure out what fits where and be able to visualize things before cutting wood or purchase items. The model still needs work but overall I think it is a good start.
Wow thanks Dan. That is great information. I was considering going with a Bruce-style anchor, but now I will look into the Rocna Vulcan you recommend. S/V Panope is a great resource. Thanks for the recommendation.
Just noticed something about one of the previous pictures I posted.
The first two boats I built are in the picture.  The boat to the right is a 14? duck boat I built back in 2007, the boat to the left is a 16? skiff I finished in 2019. 
Nice to be here! 
I?m usually running wide open from can to can?t.  Don?t usually slow down long enough to post anything.😁

Here are a couple more pictures of the build.  This project started with a design idea.  I had rough envelope dimensions of the boat, so that?s where I started.  I drew it using a 2D CAD program.  Then just kept working with the drawing till I arrived at a decent design.

I knew early on that I would be using boxed tubing. I used to be a service engineer for a major bearing manufacturer.  I used a concept I learned from that period and applied that to my boat trailer.   That is that the bearing will only be as good as the shaft and housing it is mounted on. Well,  I took that one step further and included the foundation the bearing housing was mounted on.  I k is that my boat will spend a lot of time sitting on the trailer, so I wanted an overly strong foundation for my boat to live on. 

Hey!  Da 'Bama Man!  Good to see you here, Greg!
Projects - Glacier Boats of Alaska boat projects / GA Boat Trailer Build.
« Last post by Sparkisimo on May 10, 2024, 03:26:12 PM »
Hello! 

I?ve been building a boat trailer that I designed for the 30? GA that I am also building.  I?ve been encouraged to start a thread documenting my progress of this build.  I?m nearing completion of this project, but have taken a lot pictures during this process. 

A little background about me, I am pretty much a jack of all trades master of none!  I have a degree in mechanical engineering, but prior to that I was a welder fabricator that also grew up on a farm where you fixed and built a lot of your own stuff.

Let?s see some pictures!

These first couple of pictures show the start of the build.  I went with 2x6x3/16 tubing.  I went with tubing for a couple of reasons, one being the torsional resistance it has and the ease of working with it.  Plus I think square tubing has a coolness factor.

Yes it will be used in a saltwater environment!  Yes it is mild steel?  Stay tuned!
Great Alaskan FAQ / Anchor Selection
« Last post by Brian.Dixon on May 09, 2024, 06:18:07 AM »
From Dan Boccia:

"Regarding anchors and anchor systems, there's a book I highly recommend called "Happy Hooking - the Art of Anchoring", and S/V Panope on Youtube has done an enormous amount of rigorous real-world, detailed testing on anchors. From both of these resources and my unhappiness with a typical Bruce-style Claw, I went with a Rocna Vulcan and will never, ever, go back to a Bruce-type Claw anchor again. The Vulcan is vastly superior in every way. Regarding anchor rollers, I see little, if any, advantage to long pulpits or rollers - you want just enough to allow the anchor to clear the bow on the way up, and any more is just extraneous IMHO."

Rocna Vulcan anchors: https://rocna.com/products/vulcan/

Happy Hooking: https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Hooking-Capt-Alex-Blackwell/dp/0981517102

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10