Author Topic: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau  (Read 34642 times)

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
30 foot Kodiak in Juneau
« on: January 06, 2022, 07:52:17 PM »
Well, I officially started today, went to the barge lines and picked up my kit from West Coast Boat Works. Unloaded in my workshop. I was very impressed on how everything was packed, cut out and labeled. Chuck and his crew did a great job, and sure will make my job easier. Ms Jones and I put some sheeting on my building jig and I started on the transom. I glued the wings on the sides of the transom, the CNC stepped scarf joints fit perfectly. I also glued the 1/2 inch piece of White oak on the top of the upper doubler. I predrilled it and held it in place with Raptor fiberglass nails, My hope is to use them to hold things together as the epoxy sets up,?does anyone see a problem using this instead of screws which need to be removes, leaving a hole?.

Plan tomorrow is to glue Both of the LVL transom doublers to the transom, then cover with a piece of 10 oz biaxial cloth, then put the 3/4 inch upper transom doublers on and cover the whole enchilada with a piece of 10 oz regular weave cloth-sound copasetic ?

I also plan on gluing the scarfs for two 16 foot side blanks and covering the inside with 6 oz fiberglass cloth. My hope is to do as much pre assembly as possible as my shop will get quite small once the boat is together. Still need to figure out how to get it out of my 9 foot wide, 8 foot high door once I am ready to move it out of the shop.

Thank you in advance for any advice. Big thanks to Brian for designing the boat and keeping us all on track. Also a big thanks for Chuck to cut out and ship the kit to me There help is invaluable. I appreciate all the time and energy they put into making it possible for people like me to do something like this-Thank you both.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 11:10:42 PM »
Wow,

Talk about getting after it, you guys are an inspiration already.  To answer one question about the raptor nails, no issue whatsoever to leave them in. They will never rust is the big plus and it will make assembly a breeze.  I am not familiar with fiberglass nails but it seems that if you put them in at an angle like so: \ / they will hold.  It does not take much to make some epoxy squeeze out and you don't want too much squeeze out.  My thinking is you leave the "nails" a bit proud it would be easy to sand, grind or file them off instead of having to fill each hold.  I used thin strips of plywood to nail thru to avoid putting dents from the nailer everywhere and to make pulling my "steel" nails easy.

Your plan on the transom sounds good but I know putting 10oz cloth over the biaxial wet on wet is a good thing just try to press the biaxial firmly so nothing floats and the 10oz cloth over the top should almost wet itself out when laying it on top of the biaxial cloth.

You will be an epoxy and glass expert soon enough.  Congratulations on the build!

I can see rolling your boat on on pipes and outriggers of some kind (big roller skate) Maybe your building jig can be built with a lowering option.

You know I just thought about something, you may not want to glass your transom until its glued in, you will be applying 3 layers of glass on outer and inner seam and big fillets on the inner. 

Brian will set you strait for sure.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 08:42:13 AM »
All I can say is Fantastic!  Congratulations on your start!  Everything looks awesome!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 05:48:33 PM »
Wow nice shop!! Glad it all arrived safe and sound (well almost all...inside joke..haha) When you wet out your Biaxial ya need to roll in the epoxy with a groved roller to get all the air bubbles out. They sure make it easier...check out the link

https://www.fibreglast.com/product/Aluminum_Rollers_129?gclid=CjwKCAiA5t-OBhByEiwAhR-hm_oQhJjcqNrFgq-zzCbbanOQqIaEXOtPFnB6kD8oMvyPOps14p4RYxoCcjcQAvD_BwE
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 06:19:19 PM »

Great view too ... motivates you to be in the shop!
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 11:16:57 PM »
Today I was able to get my transom together, glued 2 LVL's to the 1/2 inch plywood, covered with 12 oz biax, followed by 10 oz regular weave, covered with 2 more coats of epoxy resin. All harding up now-I Hope.  Hopefully  be strong enough to hold the big Yamaha twins I will put on the back. Also scarfed up my hull side blanks, plan to cover the inside with  6 oz cloth in AM, should I put 2 or 3 coats of epoxy on them after laying the cloth at this time?  So nice to hanging out in the shop and working on the boat-life doesn't get better than that.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 08:46:55 AM »
Today I was able to get my transom together, glued 2 LVL's to the 1/2 inch plywood, covered with 12 oz biax, followed by 10 oz regular weave, covered with 2 more coats of epoxy resin. All harding up now-I Hope.  Hopefully  be strong enough to hold the big Yamaha twins I will put on the back. Also scarfed up my hull side blanks, plan to cover the inside with  6 oz cloth in AM, should I put 2 or 3 coats of epoxy on them after laying the cloth at this time?  So nice to hanging out in the shop and working on the boat-life doesn't get better than that.

It's big enough to support twins, as long as you watch the weight limits expressed in the manual, and include all stern weight (kicker, brackets, motor(s)) when you're figuring out your maximum motor weight.  I can always help with that ... when the time comes, just send me motor weights, bracket weights, bracket length for mains and kicker and I'll do the math then let ya know!

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 10:53:02 AM »
You are getting after it in a big way!! I logged right at 2200 hours to build mine. This does not include hundreds of hours researching. Pretty much all shop time, it does include lots of head scratching thinking ahead how everything you do today will have a bearing on time spent further into the build. 
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 07:06:34 PM »
With help from Ms Jones, the epoxy goddess, I was able to glass 2 of my 16 foot side blanks. Having 32 feet of plywood laying in my 36 foot long shop makes me realize that soon my shop is going to seem very small

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 08:31:38 PM »
So cool that you and Ms Jones got a thing going on!

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 02:35:40 PM »
Looking great. At this rate you'll be ready to flip by the time I'm home from work.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 07:15:30 PM »
Got my shelfs put together today, fit very nicely, although at station 168 I was 3/8 inch shy of my mark, but everything else lined up perfect and the joints were tight. Guess my boat will be a tad skinny in the midsection. I think she will still float.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 01:03:48 PM »
Got my shelfs put together today, fit very nicely, although at station 168 I was 3/8 inch shy of my mark, but everything else lined up perfect and the joints were tight. Guess my boat will be a tad skinny in the midsection. I think she will still float.
Did you notice the A/B line I marked when cutting the kit? keep this located it will help throughout the build to measure from
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 08:12:20 PM »
Yes I did see the AB line it is 146 inches from the bow, sent a picture of the AB line, my 140 inch station line and a ruler going aft.  I would call that balls dead on for the computer lofting and the CNC cutting. Was able to glue up the chines after work, they were perfect.Turned the heat up in the shop to try to cure the epoxy overnight Hope to get bottom panels together tomorrow. Glad I bought the kit, sure makes this initial part of the build move right along, sure my progress will slow down once I get all these puzzle pieces together.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 07:58:17 AM »

Incredible progress ... And yeah, kits help a lot :)