Author Topic: Building a 27'-0 GA  (Read 13917 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Building a 27'-0 GA
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2021, 09:32:14 PM »
Quite a system of you set up for the flip, you must have some experience in rigging.

Scott L

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2021, 09:54:46 PM »
Well it has been a while I had some projects this summer as well as fishing but I'm back to work on the boat. started work on the cuddy.

Scott L

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2021, 10:00:07 PM »
more pics

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2021, 10:48:02 PM »
Scott,

You have a diverse skill set and it shows, good on you!  I will keep an eye on your build and look forward to more pics / progress.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2021, 08:43:21 AM »
It sure is fun to see a boat come together.  It’s looking gtreat!

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2021, 07:04:56 PM »
You and I are at the exact same place in our builds.  I am building insulation into the house on my boat and hope it does not add too much time.

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2021, 12:34:51 PM »
Poking my nose in here, looks like a great build and some savvy folks paying attention! Had a great season with my boat, love it more every time I use it.

Here is the best engine size calculator I've found online:
https://btb.fishing/boat-horsepower-calculator/

For reference, my boat, built with okoume plywood (lightest available) plus foam core for much of the cabin, with 9.5 ft cabin, 100 gal fuel, anchor winch, 3 people, loaded for shrimping, fishing, with dinghy, safety gear, spare parts/tools, the engines, a fridge, heater, complete electronics and everything else for a multi-day trip in Alaska weighs 6750 or so. Maybe even a bit more, little things add up! So my first recommendation, as soon as you get your trailer, drag it across a scale and get it's exact weight. Then once the boat is on the trailer, drag it across again to get the hull weight, then you can get a spreadsheet started with all the accessories you plan to add to the boat. My boat was built super light, with no overkill on the glass schedule, so the hull and cabin are as light as you can probably get it, and on top of that I camp for days at a time on my boat so it has more accessories than a pure fishing vessel would have.

Pay attention that this calculator uses statute mph, so you have to convert from knots to mph. Brian designed the boat to cruise around 22 knots, so I use 25 mph for the low cruise, and practically speaking, the boat goes up to about 28 knots at reasonable fuel burn for me so I used 32 mph at the high end. The result is 225 hp for low cruise, and 288 hp for high cruise.

My typical rpms are low 4000's to around 4500 rpm when conditions are decent, going around 25-28 knots with my 250AP Suzuki V6 - same block as the 300 hp. There is no way I'd want that to be a 4-cylinder 200 hp engine - it would be wound up pretty high much of the time.

A note on props: I went with a prop that put me a little lower in the recommended rpm range, around 5600-5700 rpm (recommended range 5500-6100) so that I would get more efficiency at cruise...I'm generally very easy on the throttle and could care less about hole shot. That said, when I'm in heavy seas and need to hit the throttle more aggressively to make a move, it's probably a bit hard on the drivetrain, so the sense of security with that larger engine feels reassuring.

So, if your build is going to be light, with minimal equipment, and you don't pack hundreds of pounds of ice....you might be fine with the 200....but don't take anyone's word for it, use the calculator!

Scott L

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2021, 03:27:31 PM »
Thanks Dan and every one else for the great feed back. As for the boat weight I went with Hydrotec plywood for the hull and boy is it heavy. I was looking for some weight in the hull but I am using Okuma for the rest to keep a little lighter up high. As far as engine choice I'm going with a 250. The fuel tank is being fabs right now and is 120 gals.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2021, 04:36:05 PM »
It’s my opinion that the okume takes epoxy better than the hydrotech.  I like working with it.  Had I known this I would have used it for the sides of the boat too. 

Scott L

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2021, 08:14:31 AM »
Yes I noticed the Hydrotec did not seem to soak up epoxy as well as other material but I don't have any concerns with it. I played with some strength test on some test pieces and I'm amazed on how strong the glass and epoxy is.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2021, 08:41:03 AM »

IMHO, Meranti/Hydrotech is good for bottom panels and chines due to it's higher density/weight and impact resistance.  Weight down low is good.  Same for all decks other than the sheer decks - Meranti is my choice.  But for all other ply in the boat ... I prefer Okoume for that ... smooth and light, very consistent.  Lighter weight up high is good.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Scott L

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2021, 03:52:17 PM »
Brian would you please look over these numbers for the fuel tank and the water tank. I want to make sure the balance is correct. the numbers are nominal by a inch or two.
Thanks

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2021, 04:49:33 PM »
Brian would you please look over these numbers for the fuel tank and the water tank. I want to make sure the balance is correct. the numbers are nominal by a inch or two.
Thanks

Sure ... a little later this afternoon after I'm done working. 

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Scott L

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2021, 06:25:15 PM »
Thanks, no hurry .

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2021, 11:11:13 PM »
Scott, here is some food for thought. https://www.glacierboats.net/forum/index.php?topic=808.0
It should pretty much tell the tale.  Brian has threatened to sticky this iirc.  At a glance I think it looks like you have too much weight too far back if I’m reading it right.  HTH