Author Topic: Steering issue  (Read 1890 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: Steering issue
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2023, 08:15:04 PM »
The dealer says they have not heard back yet.   I have an Appt.  For something. We will see what they do

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2023, 11:08:54 PM »
I was on a new Lund this weekend that has the same issue you do.  When you find the answer you will be helping others.   I just replaced my baystar cylinder  because the piston cracked and let fluid flow through it.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2023, 11:19:57 PM »
Well, I took the boat in as I found a couple small hydraulic leaks.  While it was in for repair I suggested we put a left hand prop on her and see if it turns hard to starboard.  They hadn’t thought of this as an experiment and liked the idea. 
  So if she turns hard to starboard it should be a prop torque issue.  If it still steers hard to port I think there is some valving issues in one of the three pumps.  I am leaning slightly to the latter as myself and Dan B have identical boats and power if I remember right.  I don’t think he has reported any steering issues like I have. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2023, 07:15:47 AM »

It's time consuming and disappointing to have to go through all the troubleshooting ... sorry that you have to.  But, you can continue to use the boat as-is anyway, and that's about a million times better than being stuck on land ...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2023, 12:16:47 PM »
Yes, for sure.  I NEED it sorted out soon.  I don’t want to be tuna fishing 50 miles out and have the “real” culprit rear it’s ugly head.  I am also taking 3 weeks this October to play in the boat.  Launching from Santa Barbara and heading out to the Channel Islands for a bunch of lobster diving and fishing and general badassery.  So, I need her too top!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2023, 10:26:23 PM »
Got the boat wet with the reverse rotation set up.  It steers hard to the right.  Prop torque it is!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2023, 06:43:48 AM »
Got the boat wet with the reverse rotation set up.  It steers hard to the right.  Prop torque it is!

I haven't looked ... do the SeaStars come in different sizes?  Perhaps yours is under powered for your motor/prop combo?  Needs more torque?   I wonder if changing pitch and diameter of the prop would make any difference?  In any case, it sounds like the steering is reliable, but stiffer than expected ... at least it's safe to go offshore.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2023, 09:53:05 AM »
I agree.   Let’s go fishing!   Tired of screwing with it

sprig1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2023, 04:22:10 PM »
I’m totally guessing here and probably shouldn’t comment. I know I had cylinder on mower when I farmed. It was slow one way fast the other. Turned out seal on the cylinder ram was leaking and it was fighting itself one way. By letting oil pass.
  Does The boat tracks straight at speed. I’m sure you have already thought of all this.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2023, 07:00:58 PM »
Yes it tracks straight.  I think the hard steering that follows the prop rotation really tells the story.  I’ll live with it. Just need to sacrifice smooth ride for rough steering.  If I’m not trying to push the bow down of course it’s better.  I’ve been steering by touch screen now and don’t fight it so much any more

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2023, 07:41:06 AM »
Yes it tracks straight.  I think the hard steering that follows the prop rotation really tells the story.  I’ll live with it. Just need to sacrifice smooth ride for rough steering.  If I’m not trying to push the bow down of course it’s better.  I’ve been steering by touch screen now and don’t fight it so much any more
Yep the auto pilot doesn't seem to mind:)  I use mine 90% of the time, it tracks way better on the pond than I can manually steer.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2023, 08:40:02 PM »
Just seeing this. I have zero issues, steers easily both ways even at high speeds. And I recently added a set of 3 way valves and a steering cylinder onto my kicker, so along with the autopilot pump I've got a more complex hydraulic system than most.

Since it turns both ways smoothly at displacement speeds, problems with the cylinder seals are unlikely.
At low speeds do you get any noise from the hydraulic pump when you're turning the wheel, at either helm? If so, the system still has air in it and needs to be bled patiently and completely - this is critical. It should be whisper smooth, with zero gurgles or other sounds. It should also steer using one finger at idle - if not a fitting or hose is undersized.

Things I can think of (could be a combination of these):

My first bet is the torque-fin on the engine needs to be set correctly to your prop. Even switching hands of props does nothing to convince me the fin is set correctly.

engine set too low, so that anti-ventilation plate is buried in the water, making steering, trimming, etc. difficult at speed because you're fighting the whole plate. This doesn't explain why it is hard one way and not the other but could be a contributing factor and is crazy common. Every boat I work on has to have the engine raised, often 2-3 holes or more.

If all the fittings, hoses, torque-fin pass close, careful inspection, you can start to suspect a malfunctioning helm or steering cylinder. I assume it's the same with either helm?

Curious problem, will be interested to learn what the solution is! Good luck!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2023, 11:30:17 AM »

... I took a look at SeaStar docs and there are myriad options ... I wonder if the 'stiff steering' boats are using a steering system that's too close to the top horsepower rating for the steering (and/or are using twins with a unit designed to be more optimal with a single)?  Perhaps it may pay off to have a different shop look at your system to make sure that the system that you have is 'generously above' your horsepower requirements, not near the limit?  And, is the steering system de-rated when operating with 2 consoles rather than one?  Maybe if the system has cylinders (or ?) that's near the top end of what SeaStar calls 'optimal', that adding a second steering pushes it past limits?  I'd get an independent survey of the steering system and double check if there's any doubt ...

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2023, 11:46:58 AM »
My first bet is the torque-fin on the engine needs to be set correctly to your prop. Even switching hands of props does nothing to convince me the fin is set correctly.

This..

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2023, 09:09:44 PM »
This was addressed as we went back and forth between SR and RR props/set ups.   I even adjusted it all the way the wrong way in SR and couldn’t tell the difference.   The hard turn switches sides when going from SR to RR. 
 I guess I need to get sea star involved.  And check for sure if I have the right helm pumps.