Author Topic: Potential builder - advice wanted!  (Read 865 times)

Jfrost30

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Re: Potential builder - advice wanted!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2024, 12:30:54 PM »
I looked in the FAQ and maybe I missed it - but does anyone have any recollection/recommendation for minimum shop height?  I?m planning to build the hull/cuddy in a ?regular? garage, the move it outside for the pilot house.  I?m assuming the most demanding height before the pilot house would be when the bottom panels are raised above the stringers (boat upside down) before the bottom is glued to the stringers?  I know the tip of the bow is 6 feet bottom-to-prow, so would a 7-foot garage ceiling be do-able?  8 foot?  Thanks again, all!
J

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2024, 03:15:24 PM »
My GA Kodiak fit under my 8 foot garage/shop door with the pilot house attached, but the visor not on.you will need to take it out of the shop to flip it. If your shop does not have at least 10 foot ceilings, I think you would be able to put the windshield, aft bulkhead  and pilot house sides on in the shop and drag it out for the roof.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2024, 04:11:39 PM »
FYI - From the "Great Alaskan FAQ" board:

https://www.glacierboats.net/forum/index.php?topic=53.0

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Jfrost30

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2024, 05:42:22 PM »
Thanks Brian; I did some more measurements.  7-foot garage door height - seems I could probably get the hull + cuddy out the door before I put the pilot house sides on, as long as my jig is less then 5-6 inches tall in the center. 

Does this look reasonable to you guys?  It?s tight, but it would allow me a 25-foot GA.  Would that be a record (shortest) GA? Ha, sorry.  I think 25-26 is as long as I?d go honestly, and I suspect you?re right Brian, than a 25 GA would be a LOT more boat than a 24 Tolman. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 05:43:34 PM by Jfrost30 »

Jfrost30

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2024, 05:43:52 PM »
Sorry, not sure how to resize photos - I need to get Tapatalk I think.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2024, 06:29:04 AM »
Great Alaskans have been built in less space than you're showing - just be creative.  Wheels on the jig, especially if they swivel (get the solid type - no hollow plastic 'tires' on the wheels).  Temporary plastic-covered extensions that let the boat stick out through the garage door while doing something (like painting), or even a whole temporary shelter in the driveway - like a Bow Roof Shed for example.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>