Author Topic: Photo gallery  (Read 16684 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Photo gallery
« on: November 05, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »
It would be great to have a gallery set up to see multiple completed builds by just scrolling through.  Fishyfish has something kind of like this.  I realize there are many more tolmans afloat than GA.  I hope to shift the balance to the GA side as I expect to start building soon.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Photo gallery
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 08:25:14 AM »
It would be great to have a gallery set up to see multiple completed builds by just scrolling through.  Fishyfish has something kind of like this.  I realize there are many more tolmans afloat than GA.  I hope to shift the balance to the GA side as I expect to start building soon.

Good idea ... I sticky'd this - we can all add pix to it.  I'll create a separate Photo Gallery forum too ... soon.  But we can get started with this thread for now...

Pics are awesome!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 06:46:42 AM »
Does anyone have a photo of a mixing station with a glass box they are proud of?   As I get my building reworked I have an opportunity to make work stations just right.  Your successes or failures welcome.
Thx in advance

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 08:04:31 AM »
Here's a picture of the glassing box that served me well for years ... No mixing station though.  I had a Michael's Engineering pump on the work bench and a foam board box w/lightbulb on a stand to keep it warm during winter.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 10:14:48 AM »
About as simple as it gets.  I like it!   I see several projects that can be done without scarfing a single piece of plywood.  Good time of year to start.  Be ready to whoop ass as weather warms. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 11:22:51 AM »
About as simple as it gets.  I like it!   I see several projects that can be done without scarfing a single piece of plywood.  Good time of year to start.  Be ready to whoop ass as weather warms.

Simple is good! 

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »
I made my box about four feet long. While glassing and taping, it would sit cross ways on the stringers. That worked really well, having it where I was working. Initially I left it on the bench, but ended up leaving a trail of epoxy; so I started using it right where I was taping. For longer pieces, I just folded the tape back and forth in the box. Once impregnated with epoxy, I would lift the whole mess out and lay it in place then unfold it. Worked very well, as I worked by myself.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 01:35:52 PM »
I made my box about four feet long. While glassing and taping, it would sit cross ways on the stringers. That worked really well, having it where I was working. Initially I left it on the bench, but ended up leaving a trail of epoxy; so I started using it right where I was taping. For longer pieces, I just folded the tape back and forth in the box. Once impregnated with epoxy, I would lift the whole mess out and lay it in place then unfold it. Worked very well, as I worked by myself.

That's a great idea!  Sure saves on trips up and down the boarding ladder too.... and that can't be bad!

Brian

rolmiester

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 08:21:08 AM »
Hi Guys.  Though you might like a photo of  my GA in Fla. Second year fishing out of Marathon . Love this Boat. Irma was not kind to it ,took me two months to fix but the insurance company was good to me. Happy building

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 08:44:44 AM »
Wow ... nice picture!  So ... Can you describe what damage occurred from the hurricane and what you had to do to fix it up?  These boats are known for being pretty tough, so I'm curious about what you experienced...

thx,
Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 05:51:34 PM »
Nice boat too!  I read your post being worried about the motor not being enough, does it meet your expectation now?

Tight Lines!

rolmiester

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 06:45:22 AM »
I  run about 25--27 mph wide open,  most days that is plenty. On those glassy days I wish I had a little more. Brian I will try to post a few picts of damage when I get a minute. Most damage was superficial.Boat did almost as much damage to my neighbors house as boat. When I asked him for pictures of damage, all I got was pictures of the house

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 07:03:08 AM »
Hurricane proof boat ... non-hurricane proof house, eh?   ::) 8) ;D

Brian

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »
Nice boat! Good job on the colors, I love looking at others concepts!
Sorry to hear about the storm problems, the wife and I are contemplating Florida in a couple of years, so we paid attention to the storms and their aftermath.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

twisted1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 08:15:44 PM »
Brian

I read that you about putting a decal on newly launched boats. We were going to have one printed, so I took some liberties with your logo (hope you don't mind). Let me know what you think, its a rough draft....

Mark