Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 183687 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA
« Reply #1020 on: June 22, 2023, 11:04:20 AM »
Thanks Todd!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: June 23, 2023, 12:39:53 PM »
Sure. Be careful and have fun

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: July 19, 2023, 11:59:59 AM »
Another few trips out on big blue.  I’ve yet to find an engine speed that I can’t get 3 mpg.  Even at 30 mph cruise I can adjust the jack plate to get 3+ mpg.  She will go quite a bit faster, but that is a comfortable cruise speed and she just hums along at 4000-42000 rpm depending on which side of the swell I’m on.  I really love the boat.  I wish I had done a few things differently,  it there’s lots of time! 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #1023 on: July 19, 2023, 05:12:58 PM »

That's awesome!  And the first that I've heard for getting 3 mpg  running a 42000 rpms!  That's a real screamer!

So, out of curiosity, what would you do differently if you knew what you knew now back when you first built the boat?
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: July 20, 2023, 08:28:49 AM »
I have even beat 3 mpg at that engine speed on nice ocean.  Barely, but still eat 3.  I make a game out of watching my gallons per hour, and miles per hour.  I always try to get a 3:1 ratio. 
  No removable hinges on the fish box.  It can be a pain to put back together on the water.
  Instead of foot rests aft side of cuddy bulkhead.  I should have built a storage compartment to rest feet on.  I never stand at the helm, neither does the copilot.
   Soft close drawer slides.  I did the tilt the drawer up at the back version.   The drawers just get too hard to open if they are shallow And have a lot of weight in them. 
   At times I wish the anchor winch was in a well, but that doesn’t bother me as much as the above stuff. 
   I regret installing the deck scuppers.  I now keep them plugged while at play.  In my opinion all they are is a PITA.  I think in heavy rains ,while moored, they might help some.  I’m thinking of permanently plugging them and leaving the hardware for looks. 

Now having said that.  I absolutely could not live without the anchor winch, second station, wipers as equipped, and autopilot.  I rarely use the steering wheel while seated at the helm
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 09:35:09 AM by Todd j »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: July 20, 2023, 12:06:49 PM »
<snip>
  Soft close drawer slides.  I did the tilt the drawer up at the back version.   The drawers just get too hard to open if they are shallow And have a lot of weight in them. 
   At times I wish the anchor winch was in a well, but that doesn’t bother me as much as the above stuff. 
   I regret installing the deck scuppers.  I now keep them plugged while at play.  In my opinion all they are is a PITA.  I think in heavy rains ,while moored, they might help some.  I’m thinking of permanently plugging them and leaving the hardware for looks. 
<snip>

Interesting note on the drawer slides on shallow drawers - thanks. 

Why the anchor winch in a well?  Safe place for loose rode or chain or other items?

Scuppers - yes, they may not be beautiful, but combined with a sloped cockpit deck and plugged drains through below-deck bulkheads, it means you can leave your boat unattended at a dock and it'll be self-bailing without having to worry about dead batteries and/or failed bilge pumps.  I like using a round scupper that's designed to fit a standard Home Depot type plastic pipe plug (but replace the bolt hardware with stainless) and leave the scuppers plugged all the time except a) when underway with water on the deck that you want to drain outward quickly (quicker than a bilge pump), and b) when the boat's left unattended at a dock as mentioned.  I believe in having enough slope (downward aft) in the cockpit deck to drain, even if just slightly, even when a couple is sleeping in the cuddy if possible.  I also install under-deck 15/16" drain holes at the bottom of each bulkhead, and keep them plugged all the time unless the boat's out of the water ... unplug all prior to driving the boat home so any bilge water will drain out the stern and to let the bilge be ventilated when the boat's not in use.  But when on the water, I prefer to keep the bulkheads plugged to prevent water draining towards the bow (and it's a good idea to have a small bilge pump 'for emergencies' in the cuddy or just aft of the aft cuddy bulkhead below the deck - needs to be accessible too).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 12:09:13 PM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: July 20, 2023, 01:27:31 PM »
Re: anchor winch.  I have a tiny bit of blind spot looking out over the bow. When seated it is 100% in the shadow of the space between the windshields.  It is not at all as annoying as the other things i mentioned.  I’m not sure I would trade less under bow storage, dirt catcher, and more drains to watch over for the bit of sight. 
  Re: scuppers.  I used the same ones as Chuck I think.  Crome bezel with black flapper. It is about a 2 x 6 inch opening.  Let’s a lot of water out, but let’s a lot of water in when loaded with fish and ice and fat guys.  Even with the raised and sloped decks.

I still love the boat!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 20, 2023, 03:06:04 PM »

Yeah ... flapper-only type scuppers, round or rectangular, aren't as good as scuppers that can be closed tight.  I'll stick with the round ones that the Home Depot pipe plugs fit ... :)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: October 19, 2023, 09:14:52 PM »
Santa Rosa Island in background

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: October 19, 2023, 11:45:19 PM »
That looks cool!  On anchor and barbeque on the back deck, whats for dinner?

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1030 on: October 20, 2023, 11:10:58 AM »
Your boat looks killer Todd. That trip looks like it was awesome and boat looks like it was rigged great to spend some time out there.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: October 20, 2023, 04:27:09 PM »

It worked great for steaks, dogs, sausages, grilled onions, canned biscuits and lots of other stuff.  I highly recommend using a grill mat if you?ve never tried one.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: October 20, 2023, 04:31:27 PM »

It worked great for steaks, dogs, sausages, grilled onions, canned biscuits and lots of other stuff.  I highly recommend using a grill mat if you?ve never tried one.
It was definitely one for the books. I got one limit of lobsters where the smallest was 6 pounds!!  It?s a boater home