Author Topic: Wynne Windows - Are you sure you want them?  (Read 759 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Wynne Windows - Are you sure you want them?
« on: June 14, 2023, 07:01:37 AM »
Sadly, I need to point out some issues with windows made by Wynne Enterprises, since I recommend them in the Great Alaskan build manuals.  Noting that I evaluated windows made by Wynne Enterprises approximately 15 years ago and found nothing but happy customers, I gladly recommended Wynne as an economical place to get quality windows.  More than one source, however, including detailed information and testing of the windows by our own Dan Boccia, are reporting issues with the windows leaking.  Leaky windows aren't just an annoyance on a boat.  Leaky windows destroy upholstery, wreck electronics, and are a risk to boats left in a slip for long periods of time (not to mention mold and mildew issues).  The recommendation in the Great Alaska build manuals will be removed soon.

Note that Wynne's fixed windows appear to be just fine and the problem appears to be related to just the sliders ... not sure about the other operators.  From what I've heard, it sounds like the tracks fill with water and then leak upward past the gaskets and spill into the boat rather than the water staying where it should and leaking out through the exterior drain hole.

Example:

https://downeastboatforum.com/threads/wynne-windows-still-open.44223/page-2

Sorry, folks ... just hoping to save people from having issues in their own boats....

Brian

« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 11:46:26 AM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wynne Windows - Are you sure you want them?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 09:16:31 AM »
No issues with their fixed windows at all, it's just the sliders, and we're going to call them in the next couple days to see if drilling out the weep holes in the lower rail will help or if they have any other suggestions - they've always been helpful when I call.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 09:47:02 AM »
No issues with their fixed windows at all, it's just the sliders, and we're going to call them in the next couple days to see if drilling out the weep holes in the lower rail will help or if they have any other suggestions - they've always been helpful when I call.

Thanks... keep us updated
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 03:06:57 PM »
I haven't had any issues yet with my windows, although my boat is fairly young. We got soaked at Catalina the other morning and I didn't notice any water ingress. I will keep an eye out though and look closer going forward, thanks for the heads up guys.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 03:50:06 PM »
I haven't had any issues either and my boat was moored on the Oregon Coast for close to 2 years. She got might wet. Now that we are in PV with the rainy season coming we will see. It can rain here really hard and long. Glad I have 2x6 scuppers, from what I hear a boat or two sink every year while moored from the rains. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 03:51:24 PM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 06:18:27 PM »
UPDATE: After the owner consulted with Wynne, who responded pretty vaguely that drilling out the lower window flange might be worthwhile, we realized they were going to be of little help. I was pretty convinced myself, so I proceeded to drill quite a few additional holes (if I recall correctly I used a 1/4 or perhaps 17/32 drill bit) in the bottom flange of the window to allow water to evacuate out of the track faster. Repeating the test with the water sprayer revealed MUCH improvement and it took prolonged testing to get any appreciable water to weep up around the lower inside seal.

I'm confident that this modification will benefit just about anyone that may have their boat stored in locations where heavy rain may be encountered. It's relatively straightforward although getting the holes smoothed out after drilling took some work with a countersink bit and rat tailed file.

I plan to do this to my own windows this week.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 06:40:01 AM »

Thanks, Dan ... great work!  Too bad Wynne wasn't a bit more responsive and open to product improvement ideas.