Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 222282 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #1035 on: July 29, 2023, 07:37:13 AM »
What a nice job. As I said before, your work makes mine so utilitarian.  I bought a harbor freight stamp set, 5200, and some screws

I have a knack for making things take longer and more difficult than it needs to be.

I would have been fishing by now if...

My builder must be related ... going on THREE YEARS to build a house and shop.  Every sub has a million excuses why they make you wait weeks and weeks for them, and all orders take weeks and weeks to get what you need.  We must be at a negative priority ... sigh.  Sorry ... venting here.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 29, 2023, 08:02:57 PM »
Waiting for some non skid to dry on cuddy roof, a couple pics of HIN painstakingly installed with tamper-proof machine screws:

I like the machine screws, used them on my deck plates also.  Drilled a little deeper than the screws and tight enough for the machine screws to grab the wood and overdrill the first2/3rds of the hole so the thickened epoxy will form the threads.  Coat the screws with WD40 and add thickened epoxy (think mayonnaise).  Next morning unscrew the screws and scrape off excess and you have threaded holes for a strong install.

That is how to take a really long time to install a HIN!!!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 29, 2023, 08:46:42 PM »
Preview of Cuddy Roof non-skid:

This is one coat of Permaflex over the soft-sand non skid.  I am going to add one more coat and call it good enough.  Then on to the aft deck non-skid.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 30, 2023, 07:47:00 AM »

Looks very professional!  Got a planned launch date?

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #1039 on: July 30, 2023, 08:22:11 AM »
I like how the HIN number has GA28 in it. BTW that it by design, I have some discretion how I issue a HIN number:)
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 30, 2023, 09:58:32 AM »
Planned date?  My only plan is to launch this summer, not going to stress to much about it. I added a 2nd coat of Permaflex to the Cuddy Roof non-skid and it looks better so good enough.

I need to order more Permaflex not sure I have enough for the aft deck so I think I will use what I have for the gunwale's.

That is cool that the HIN has GA28!!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 30, 2023, 03:57:24 PM »
I like how the HIN number has GA28 in it. BTW that it by design, I have some discretion how I issue a HIN number:)
That would be cool.  In Oregon it’s ORZ######## if the state issues it. Z is home built
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 11:19:47 AM by Todd j »

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1042 on: July 31, 2023, 10:01:58 AM »
Wow, that HIN plate is so nice... Long time or not, you are going to have a real head turner when you get on the water. Your boat is turning out sooo nice.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #1043 on: August 02, 2023, 09:19:34 AM »
That would be cool.  In Oregon it’s ORZ######## if the state issues it. Z is home built
The HIN identifies the boat manufacture (WEW) which is in this case is a kit from West Coast Boat Works. I'm registered as a boat manufacture with the US Coast Guard. The next 4 characters (SGA28) are listed at my discretion, in this case it stands for a standard 28' 8'6" GA. If it was a Kodiak the "S" would be a "K". The last 4 characters identify month and year of the boat. The OR number is a state registration number, it has nothing to do with the HIN:) 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 09:20:57 AM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: August 02, 2023, 11:43:40 AM »
Its been a masking marathon, I masked the perimeter of the non-skid, sand everything with #120, clean twice and mask for the areas I do not want non-skid (perimeter) and style lines.

I coated last night and added non skid, pulled the tape, added a coat of Permaflex this morning, pulled all the tape.  This evening I will remask and give the final coat of Permaflex then on the the fish deck.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: August 03, 2023, 08:52:41 AM »
Ok,

Final coat done last night at 9:00.  Here is a few pics:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 06:41:28 PM by Rbob »

Jeepinhans

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: August 03, 2023, 05:24:48 PM »
That looks like a job well done! It looks awesome!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: August 03, 2023, 06:00:41 PM »

I'm looking at that anchor winch ... looks like it feeds the rode into a chamber below ... can chain go through it too?  Can you share brand and model?  Looks 'just right sized'

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 03, 2023, 06:50:18 PM »
The windlass is an Anchorlift Barracuda, its not a freefall is my only regret.

Yes on the chain, I have 50ft of 1/4"

https://www.anchorliftdirect.com/product/barracuda-900-windlass-b912/

I have coated and applied the non-skid on the rear deck.  I added soft-sand until rejection on the rear deck.  I will vacuum up the surplus tomorrow and apply the final coats.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 06:51:01 PM by Rbob »

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1049 on: August 04, 2023, 06:08:50 PM »
Nice work. Really nice work. I’ll be doing the non skid paint this winter and polishing up some of the earlier finishing work. I had a HIN plate made and installed it with stainless screws and drilled out the slots so it can’t be removed.
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com