Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 222323 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2016, 11:25:29 AM »
I will be cutting off the stringers tonight, but what/when is the best way to cut the bottom flush to the transom?

It takes a few minutes, but I like to go ahead and glue the transom in place, then use a japanese pull saw (held tight against the outer face of the transom) and cut from one side to the other - This makes the end of the bottom panel assembly match the angle of the transom.  I figure this is faster than filling/fixing goofs from jig saws and sanders later...

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2016, 01:59:45 PM »
That is what I will do.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2016, 10:18:32 PM »
I used a skil saw to make the major cuts and finished them off with the pull saw. Then I ran a router around the perimeter with a 3/4 radius. Turned out great!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2016, 07:49:23 AM »
Cannon,

Do you have a launch date or expected date?  You must be really close.

Still sizing up trailers, could you get me the bow eye to transom measurement when your not building furniture ot trying to finish that man last minute details?

No hurry for me.     

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2016, 05:33:31 PM »
Bob,
Not sure I understand your question???
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2016, 09:57:50 PM »
From this pic it would be measurement "B" or A  depending on where the winch stand/roller is.

Just trying to look ahead, all the 2 axle trailers I see are short.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2016, 11:24:55 AM »
Bob,
That was a concern right up to the day I put the boat on the trailer! Believe me when I say unknown's bug the heck out of me and that was a doozie. I will make an attempt to get you the info you need later today.
I will tell you that the more important measurement is where the dead rise of the bow is in relation to the cross brace (c) in the front of the trailer. Too close and the bouce of the boat on the trailer will bang the keel into the cross bar. To my way of thinking, that is more important than the overall length.
The winch post can be adjusted for height and for setback. I used pressure treated 4x6 for the bunks which added to the complexity of height and length. I adjusted both after the boat was on the trailer. The reason I mentioned the cross piece is because I initially moved the winch stand too far forward. I had wanted to minimize the amount the boat hung off the stern, but by doing so I pulled the hull too far forward. A simple fix; I just need to pull the boat to the rear of the trailer but initially it wasn't on my radar.
I just need to move the hull back six inches. I believe you can see the paint line where the winch post was originally located.

I had originally planned on cutting the ends off depending on how far forward the keel sat in relation to the winch stand. Turned out that they were the ideal length.

I had initially wanted the transom as close to the rear of the trailer as possible because the bunks cantilever about two feet past the cross member.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robertrosie5

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2016, 09:15:01 PM »
I coated the gluing services yesterday morning when I got up this morning and started mixing batches of epoxy glue the bottom down.
I want to glue the transom in first not just Tackitt I figured what the heck just do it right now. I bought some pastry bags and mannose things are slick you can stick it right in between the stringer and the transom and just pump it and don't start coming out the backside.

It took 4 1/2 batches and using the pasty bags made it easy. Jump on top and screwed it down. Then do the clean up.

I went ahead and filled in me transom drain,  I will re drill once it is flipped.

It went well and I am so happy that part is done.

Pics below in no particular orded:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2016, 05:41:42 AM »

Nice work!  Looks like it came together very well!  You'll be flipping it soon!
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2016, 02:52:54 PM »
Thats the last time I will use Siri! 

"Mannose" means: man those.

You only have to squeeze the pastry bag until the epoxy oozes out not pump it!

It was late and I was tired, not from the boat which was done by noon but limbing trees with chainsaw until 8:00 last night, thats my excuse!

Cannon,

I that boat looks big even on a 3 axle trailer!

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2016, 08:46:24 AM »
Bob,
It is all about perspective:)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:45 AM »
I still am amazed how big they are, sure hope it fits in my new shop.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2016, 11:23:12 AM »
Big == GOOD!

That's one mean fishin' machine!  Can't wait to someday see it in person...

Brian

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2016, 06:46:11 PM »
It won't fit in this shop without the radar, that is why I went ahead and mounted the radar so high.  It is still under 14' though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robertrosie5

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2016, 09:59:06 PM »
Is this a lot of squeeze out:
1 quart, seems like a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk