Author Topic: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado  (Read 93704 times)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado
« Reply #315 on: May 08, 2020, 02:00:11 PM »
Will most likely be a local lake here in Colorado. Won’t get it to the ocean until this fall or next summer but who knows I might just get a wild hair and do it sooner.🤪🤪

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #316 on: May 08, 2020, 03:01:58 PM »

Cool ... Looking forward to your launch :D

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 12, 2020, 06:42:55 AM »

DJeffery ... Question (that someone asked me)... It's hard to tell the relationship between the motor mount on the swim step, the transom door onto the swim step, the top of the motor boards (where they would've been), and stringers etc. 

Your transom door's bottom looks lower than the top of the motor mount that's on the swim step.  So ... Is the swim step and bottom of the transom door below what would've been the top of the motor boards?  Or is the motor mount on the transom higher than what would've been the top of the motor boards?  Can you explain all the transom related heights of things to me?

Thanks,
Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 12, 2020, 08:51:39 AM »
I’ll try to explain my heights, I also included a couple pics that I hope will help. If I don’t answer your question please let me know.

My motor mount height is set per the drawings for a 25 inch shaft motor. My swim platform is raised 3 inches above the stringers and is level with the back deck. The bottom of the door opening is about 4 inches above the swim step. The bump up in front of the motor mount is also about 4 inches above the swim step, so they are almost level with each other. The top of the motor mount is 6 inches above the bump up.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 12, 2020, 08:54:14 AM »
More pics

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 12, 2020, 09:42:02 AM »
I’ll try to explain my heights, I also included a couple pics that I hope will help. If I don’t answer your question please let me know.

My motor mount height is set per the drawings for a 25 inch shaft motor. My swim platform is raised 3 inches above the stringers and is level with the back deck. The bottom of the door opening is about 4 inches above the swim step. The bump up in front of the motor mount is also about 4 inches above the swim step, so they are almost level with each other. The top of the motor mount is 6 inches above the bump up.

So ... If I read you right, that sounds like the swim platform is about 6" above the waterline?  Not taking deck and chine plywood thicknesses into account, the waterline is about 3-1/2 above the chine more or less.  The stringer tops are about 2-1/2" above the waterline.  Total from waterline to top of swim platform (and raised decks) is about 6+ inches above the waterline.  Since waterlines are measured outside the hull and decks sit on top of the wood that raises the deck, that means you're around 7" above the waterline for both swim deck and interior deck.  Should be fine... but as with brackets and swim platforms in general, water will wash over it when you slow.  With the door and no dry well, you'll want to manage that so you don't stop fast enough to cause a real slapper of a wave to make it over the f'w'd transom ... having it full height as you've done should be fine.  Does your door open outward or inward?  How will you secure it?  Scuppers?

Brian

PS: Thanks for all the photo and tape measure work!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:57:04 AM by Brian.Dixon »

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 12, 2020, 09:55:49 AM »
That is correct Brian about 6 inches above the water line. The swim platform will get wet, very wet from time to time. Although the door will stop most splash water, some will make it through and wash out my scupper holes.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 12, 2020, 09:58:23 AM »

Counting chine and deck plywood thicknesses, CAD says you're closer to 7" above the waterline.  I don't see scuppers?  Will the door swing in or outward?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: May 12, 2020, 10:23:00 AM »
Great written reply and as they say pictures are worth a thousand words. This helps me out in planing for my Kodiak. I hope with twin 115's I'm planing on I get enough room for a door and step. Great work BTW looking real sweet! 
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 12, 2020, 11:49:18 AM »
Door swings in. Scuppers on outside of hull. Might need to put some kind of splash cover over them. It’s all one big experiment. I will admit that I have had many restless nights about my design (swim step) nightmares of watching my $16,500 outboard snapping off in 300 foot of water and sinking to the bottom. I think I am ok considering the hours I have mulled over it during the build. I think some changes are inevitable when you build yourself however I must admit that between the forum and Brian’s help this has been a dream build for me, you all have made it easy....easier,lol.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 13, 2020, 05:47:28 AM »

All good .. thanks for the many pix!  Will you have a way to plug the scuppers?  Pipe plug or big cork - wine fermenting / beer making shops often carry a wide variety of big white rubber corks that often fit.

bd

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 13, 2020, 11:14:47 AM »
Aaarrrggg, Brian can you tell me what the measurement between the two arrows on the picture should be. I think it should be 25 1/8 inches, which mine is not. I think I forgot to cut the top off before I finished it. Crap, s&#t, f#&@.

Farmboy

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 13, 2020, 08:13:11 PM »
Spent last few evenings reading you thread. Thank you so much for sharing your great work!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 13, 2020, 11:15:24 PM »
From the manual

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 14, 2020, 07:16:29 AM »
Todd, that’s what I am seeing as well just wanted to confirm with Brian before I take skill saw to my newly finished transom. >:(a