Author Topic: ANCHOR WINCH  (Read 587 times)

Sparkisimo

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
ANCHOR WINCH
« on: November 01, 2023, 01:25:25 PM »
Hello,

Wondering what type of anchor winch GA builders are using.  I'm leaning towards the drum style. 

Thanks for your input!  Pictures also appreciated. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: ANCHOR WINCH
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 05:27:31 PM »

Which GA are you building, and how long is it?

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 10:15:57 PM »
EZ anchor for standard GA.  Not sure Brian likes it on the Kodiac.  Mine has never tripped the breaker, but the BMS has cut off on my lifepo4 battery bank.  Maybe something to consider?

Sparkisimo

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 06:22:42 AM »
I am building a 30? Prince Rupert. 
I?m looking for a motor and gearbox part number, or the gearbox ratio, and motor information. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 06:42:09 AM »
I am building a 30? Prince Rupert. 
I?m looking for a motor and gearbox part number, or the gearbox ratio, and motor information.

Kodiak or standard GA?  My only feedback is that the CG in the boat is 2/3rds back from the bow, so you want to distribute heavier items carefully .. boats are teeter totters around the CG, so don't load up the bow with heavier than you need, and keep other heavy items aft ... like, keep the forward fuel tank within specs, aim to keep other tanks closer to the CG, if heavy up front then plan on a motor bracket and/or move batteries to under the dry well ... that sort of thing.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 08:23:40 AM »
My  EZ-4 works like a champ on my 30 foot Kodiak. Made a little Anchor well in the for it to set in, so it doesn't obstruct my view when cruising. As far as weight issues, I hung a pair of outboards on the back, built the boat to spec's, filled my big cabin with all the creature comforts,reviewed my layout plan with Brian  and she floats dead level.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 08:59:04 AM »
My  EZ-4 works like a champ on my 30 foot Kodiak. Made a little Anchor well in the for it to set in, so it doesn't obstruct my view when cruising. As far as weight issues, I hung a pair of outboards on the back, built the boat to spec's, filled my big cabin with all the creature comforts,reviewed my layout plan with Brian  and she floats dead level.

Lindy ... Did you ever move your hot water tank to the other side?  Or maybe you'll leave well enough alone, or do it during the coming snow season?

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 05:29:28 PM »
Yes I did move it to the other side and placed a 20 gallon water tank on the port side also. This combo serves as blast to trim out the boat depending on who or what I have on board. I have valves and can transfer water to and from the port tank as needed. The only lesson I learned is that if you are going to build a complex electrical system, consider the weight of the wires .You will need quite a few heavy gage wires to do it safely.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 06:42:17 AM »

Cool.  Good point on the wiring.  Another one that people don't necessarily think of is the weight of the windows ... the fancy spendy ones weigh a lot more than lower-cost or plexiglass/polycarbonate ones.  Same goes for stuff on the roof ... something like a survival raft with a weighted keel is heavy!