Author Topic: Kodiak 31' 4"' OAL 9'6" Beam West Coast Boat Works, Bend OR.  (Read 67999 times)

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
After a bad mishap last fall with my 28' Albemarle getting totaled out I decided it was time to step up to real off shore boat that does not break the bank every time I pull up to the fuel dock. Started this project 2 weeks ago. I plan to splash it this time next year for the 2021 fishing season. At this a point I an thinking twin 115 HP 4-stroke Yamaha's, might go for twin 150's but I really would love to keep the 115's. Lots of time to decide at this point. I'm planing on a bow thruster if I get brave enough to cut a huge oblong shaped hole in my hull. I will make a mock-up of the hull area and practice on something first. I am pretty sure this will be the first GA with a bow thruster. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 01:26:39 PM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: Kodiak 30' OAL 9'6" Beam West Coast Boat Works, Bend OR.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 08:19:49 AM »
Hi there,
Welcome back. Is this your second GA Build?  It’s great to see another Oregonian making sawdust.   

Todd

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 08:32:24 AM »
Cool looking mockup! Are you planning on towing that to the coast from Bend?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 08:47:54 AM »
Hi there,
Welcome back. Is this your second GA Build?  It’s great to see another Oregonian making sawdust.   

Todd
Long story! Started a standard 28' GA Several years ago. It got all tangled up in a divorce by my X holding it for ransom. By the time I got it back and was ready to go I purchased the 286 Albemarle. Since I sell kits for both the GA & Tolman's I sold it partially built. I had the 286 Albemarle for 2 years before both my main strap and safety strap broke pulling the boat our for the season. It landed on the ramp real hard and did too much damage to repair. The great guy who bought it is finishing it up. It was sold ready for the sides to go on so he gets to build it the way he wants it. The huge lesson I learned is to never ever own a trailer with rollers again!!!!!!
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 08:53:36 AM »
Cool looking mockup! Are you planning on towing that to the coast from Bend?
Thanks I am very excited to see the build develop. I have a place on the Siletz River in Lincoln City on the coast. It will be moored at South Beach Marina in Newport April through October. I will tow it back and forth just twice a year. At 9'6" I'm pretty sure I can get a yearly permit without to many restrictions being under 10 feet. I had a Grady White Marlin 300 for several years that was 10'9" it required flashing lights with several restriction to tow. The Grady was a very thirsty gas guzzling machine. Any time you have two 155 gallon gas tanks you can bet the fuel dock will not be a welcome site.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:59:43 AM by Grady300 »
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Farmboy

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 08:22:45 PM »
I love what your doing! The step up is the only change I will make on my own, my wife has some mobility issues that seem to be getting worse, but I’ll be watching for updates!!

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 01:08:22 PM »
Here is a snapshot of where the bow thruster will be going, cad work and location compliments of Brian Dixon....Thanks Brian you are always a ton of help!!!!!
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 04:27:48 PM »
Glass for bottom all rolled up ready to go on the inside of the bottom. Bottom all glassed with 10oz cloth including one extra 9" on each scarf joint. Glass applied side to side. Glass goes on so easy if you wet out the ply first and roll the glass on right off the stick applying light pressure, greatly reduces wrinkles in the glass. Finished up putting the 2 bottom pieces of 1 3/4" LVL on the transom. One more coat of epoxy tonight then one more tomorrow morning. I will take the bottom off the building jig the next day and set it aside. This weekend I hope to get the framing done on the jig to carry the stringers and the bottom. If all goes well I hope to have the bottom glued on by the end of next week as long as my real job doesn't get in the way too much.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:29:41 PM by Grady300 »
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 03:43:23 PM »
The bottom is completed, time to take it off the building jig and flip it over. Setting it to the side while I start the next the step. Next need to build 2 different internal support structures to support the transom, sheer shelves, stringers. Once this is done its time to scribe the stringers to the bottom then glue it on. I will be working all weekend to hopefully set the bottom on the stringers Monday ready to scribe. Hope to glue the bottom on Monday or Tuesday.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 03:57:06 PM »

Wow!  Fantastic progress!

On the '2 structures' comment, are you referring to what I call temporary framing ... that carries the stringers?  Is it easier to build 2 of these to help get their tail ends installed in the transom?  They ARE long and heavy.. maybe I should enhance the instructions!
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 04:04:12 PM »

On the '2 structures' comment, are you referring to what I call temporary framing ... that carries the stringers?  Is it easier to build 2 of these to help get their tail ends installed in the transom?  They ARE long and heavy.. maybe I should enhance the instructions!
Yes I was referring to the temporary framing. Yep I'm gona beef up the temporary framing some. I will also add blocks the the outside of the temp framing to rest on top of stringers as well as screw them to the inside of the building jig. ill post some photos this weekend.   
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 04:25:09 PM »

Yes I was referring to the temporary framing. Yep I'm gona beef up the temporary framing some. I will also add blocks the the outside of the temp framing to rest on top of stringers as well as screw them to the inside of the building jig. ill post some photos this weekend.   

OK ... Yeah, beefing the temp framing up and using 2 while you put it together probably helps.  You may have to raise/lower on of them to situate the stringers in the transom right.  Looking forward to pix...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 07:37:35 PM »
Today's progress: I changed the interior framing structure a bit. The main vertical support is on top of building jig rather than mounted on the inside then added an extra piece to the inside. I dropped the framing down 2 3/8" to allow for my raised stringers. Checked it all out with my laser.  I went with 11 7/8" rather than 9 1/2" stringers. Added the extra height just to have a few more options during the build. Besides the Kodiak has another 5 1/2" over the typical GA so I figure I had some height spare
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:39:23 PM by Grady300 »
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 01:48:46 PM »

Good ... your stringer height change exactly balances the change in height on the 'temporary framing'.  That'll keep the side panels the same ... can't get too tall with them, else they may not span chine flat-to-shelf distance.  But you kept that distance as designed, so all good...

Sweet progress!

Brian

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 04:27:16 PM »

Good ... your stringer height change exactly balances the change in height on the 'temporary framing'.  That'll keep the side panels the same ... can't get too tall with them, else they may not span chine flat-to-shelf distance.  But you kept that distance as designed, so all good...

Sweet progress!

Brian

Hmmm, That makes me wonder if I will get my side height above the self 4"-6" about where my aft wheelhouse starts up to the bow for my bulwark?
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021