Author Topic: Windshield and window dimensions  (Read 2558 times)

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Windshield and window dimensions
« on: January 26, 2017, 07:50:47 AM »
Hey Brian,
I emailed this question and then realized it may be better over here for others to benefit as well.

Although I haven't even finished my garage to house the kit to start the boat build, I have an opportunity to get glass that may not be available later. What dimensions and thickness would you recommend if I'm following your design? I may be able to get glass for free and cut to my specs so I want to take advantage of it.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
Re: Windshield and window dimensions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »
That would be very difficult to say, since the superstructure is created more along the lines of what you want with only hints as to how to put it together. If it were a factory boat, then it would be cast in stone, but that is not the case here. The guidelines are more generalities than precise statements of fact as would be needed to give actual window sizes.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 07:54:58 AM »

There are a few things that people have requested that I haven't had time to do ... and I have a few other boat designs that I need to finish up as well.  I switched to a 4 tens at work now, so I'll start getting 1-1/2 days per week to work on this stuff.  That's a real luxury compared to trying to squeeze in a minute or two at a time on busy weekends, weekend after weekend.  Stuff that might ('might') get done for the Great Alaskan, noting that the priority is on getting some additional designs out, include:

- Producing a metric set of plans
- Detailed drawings on standard pilot house and cuddy components
- Perhaps a Calkins Bartender type double-ender modification to offer a double-ended planing hull that could also work well as an inboard displacement hull.

The metric plans isn't hard to do, but does take time.  It enables overseas orders, of which I do get quite a few.  The house and cuddy stuff ... well, everyone (EVERYONE) does something different, so I question how much value there is in such things ...but I might make a standard house design or two available with things like panels and windows etc.

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 04:26:29 PM »
A standard design around your current interior layout would be great. But I hear you about most people want something different. I wonder why many more would get completed "if" they had already laid out plan. I have no idea. The more I prepare for my build, the less pie in the sky ideas I have. I'm coming around more and more to just wanting to follow your design, and have it perform the way it should. (With the except of wanting to carry a freighter worth of fuel)
If the first one goes smooth, I'll get more adventurous on the second one. At least then I will have a base line from which to compare.

Those Bartenders are very nice. What size do you have in mind for that design? And how much fuel will it hold  :)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 05:01:42 PM »
A standard design around your current interior layout would be great. But I hear you about most people want something different. I wonder why many more would get completed "if" they had already laid out plan. I have no idea. The more I prepare for my build, the less pie in the sky ideas I have. I'm coming around more and more to just wanting to follow your design, and have it perform the way it should. (With the except of wanting to carry a freighter worth of fuel)
If the first one goes smooth, I'll get more adventurous on the second one. At least then I will have a base line from which to compare.

Those Bartenders are very nice. What size do you have in mind for that design? And how much fuel will it hold  :)

This is do-able ...and probably not a bad idea.  I'll see what I can do....

Right now, the plans have not been touched for awhile and contain some inaccurate info (like references to a book, wrong contact info, minor missing detail ortwo), so I am cranking through an edit of the whole set of plans and drawings.  I expect a refreshed set of plans to be produced within 3 weeks or so?  Maybe 4.  Maybe I should squeeze in drawings for windshield and house upper side panels w/windows very shortly after that.... And perhaps a helm design, more interior details for at least a standard layout.  I also need to get some additional plans out too ....I've got about 4 different designs in the works, and I need to prioritize and get those done too......

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>