Author Topic: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK  (Read 67205 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK
« Reply #225 on: August 01, 2022, 02:06:56 PM »
Great real world info Dan, thanks for posting. I have been wondering for a while about the trim tabs, sounds like it's a good addition. What size tabs did you install?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: August 02, 2022, 10:03:49 AM »
Great real world info Dan, thanks for posting. I have been wondering for a while about the trim tabs, sounds like it's a good addition. What size tabs did you install?
All great info. personally I decided to wait on the trim tabs to see how the hull operated with-out. Both my larger offshore factory fiberglass boats needed the trim tabs. So far I'm glad I waited on adding that option, my Kodiak doesn't seem to need them she runs great as is. Careful loading does help but to be honest I don't pay much attention to it.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2022, 10:37:29 AM »
Yes, and regards to being 'tender', keep in mind that there are two types of heeling stability.  The first is "initial stability" and refers to the first 6 to 10 degrees of heel or so - you want lower stability in this range.  It allows moderate and light waters to go up and down the sides of the boat (when not on plane) without making the boat heel.  Too stiff in this range is harder on both structure and people - snap rolling on every little wave gets tiresome.  The second form of stability ranges from where initial stability ends and increases in stiffness with more degrees of heel.  This is your safety margin that does make the boat heel with the water - to prevent larger water from coming in over the sides.  The Transverse Metacentric Height (GMt), the technical measurement of stiffness, is actually a little on the high side for this boat, so no worries there.  That said, the GMt lowers as the boat is loaded to higher displacements, which means a boat loaded heavy for a long trip and/or has hundreds of pounds of ice in it, will heel slightly easier from weights (people) moving around in the boat and will heel less as various seas climb up the sides of the boat (when off plane).

Oh, and most GAs do not use trim tabs ... just an FYI.  Everyone's boat tends to be loaded differently, though, so it could be that some benefit from them...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 10:40:48 AM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #228 on: September 12, 2022, 05:14:44 PM »
If you look back through this build thread, you'll see I opted for a Panther electric steering solution for my kicker. I could not use any kind of tie-bar/cable system because my kicker is too far horizontally back from the main engine. The Panther worked OK for a couple years. It was slow and a bit clunky but got the job done. Due to its fussiness I didn't use the kicker much. On my last trip, I finally decided to fire up the kicker just to give it an hour or so of use. Fired right up, but I had no steering. After some troubleshooting, I determined the steering mechanism was fried. Back home after tearing into it I verified that, so it lasted barely 3 seasons of light use due to saltwater corrosion. I decided to install hydraulic steering on the kicker with a pair of 3-way valves to select either main engine or kicker. Just completed that installation and I am completely satisfied. Should have done this to start with. The valves are in a convenient location yet out of the way, and now I can steer the kicker from the main helm without having the main engine flopping back and forth as it would with a tie bar. It's a huge upgrade and I'm sure I'll use the kicker a lot more now.

Got the Bay Star steering cylinder at LFS after a bit of study to get the right one. Got the valves, hose, fittings, and for $75, rented the fitting crimp tool at the local Parker store (Motion and Flow Control Products). The valves are 1/4" because 3/8" valves were not available (supply chain again) - this had me worried they would restrict the flow too much. There is a bit more resistance, but the system is still very smooth and I foresee no problem. In the process I took the time to clean up the clunky routing of the hoses to the main engine - the engine shop did a pretty average job. It was also nice to take the time to completely bleed the system with new oil. The system is now much tighter than the engine shop did it and now I have the setup and knowledge to keep it that way. Very satisfying project.

Photo 1: Overview of the hydraulic crimper, the cabinet where the 3-way valves are located.
Photo 2: Closeup of the crimper completing a crimp
Photo 3: How to purge air out of a hydraulic system. Suspend a bottle with bottom cut out, keep it at least ~ 1/4 full through the whole process, and return the fluid from the bleeder lines through a series of tees and inexpensive vinyl tubing. Remember to run your autopilot pump if you have one!
Photo 4: The line coming forward from the series of tees linking all the bleeder valves on both engines.
Photo 5: The 3-way valves are panel-mount versions so easily attached to a piece of aluminum I bent and secured to the top of the cabinet.
Photo 6: Main engine
Photo 7: Kicker on a hard port turn
Photo 8: Kicker on a hard SB turn
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 05:51:18 PM by Dan Boccia »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 12, 2022, 05:23:19 PM »

Dan ... what're we looking at there?  Call me ignernt...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2022, 05:35:24 PM »
Brian took me a bit to resize photos and get the post together. Should all be there now.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2022, 07:04:25 PM »

Awesome, thanks for all the details and additional photos ... lots of work, but better than watching TV.  I've never seen a kicker with hydraulic steering (all my friends are as broke as me), let alone valves to let you pick which motor you're steering!  It's really sweet...

Brian

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #232 on: September 12, 2022, 08:59:13 PM »
Wow, that's really cool... Clean too!

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2023, 06:59:37 PM »
I just put $100 down on a Sharrow prop.
https://www.sharrowmarine.com/

Because I'm yearning to do trips like Seward to Homer or Cordova to Yakutat which are over 200 mile trips in a straight line with no chance to refuel, and crazy remote, the range of our boats is of primary importance to me. Given that I'd much rather poke around, fish, shrimp, explore etc. on the way, my estimated ultimate 320 mile real world range has me a bit nervous because this range goes down in wind, rough seas, against a current etc. and thus these trips would most likely be very pragmatic, rather than loose and enjoyable.

Look at the performance test of a 30ft Duckworth, which approximates our "ballpark" of boats:
https://www.sharrowmarine.com/performance-reports/2022/11/2/efav9gwj4vyfieolazvkx131nkl37z

If I can get 15% better mileage/range at speeds of 16-24 knots, that's twice as much range as I can get putting 7.5 gal worth of jerry cans in the bow of my boat. If I can get 30% better it's a game-changer and the trip gets a lot less stressful, more fun, and if the weather goes to crap, I can gun it to get home ahead of a storm without fear of running out of gas.
I will report here later this spring when I get some performance reports!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 23, 2023, 07:02:03 AM »

The Duckworth is a good average boat to compare to, so I think a fair comparison in terms of the improvements from the Sharrow props ... can't wait to hear your performance results.  Looks like a better hole shot too ....

Brian

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: February 23, 2023, 01:48:41 PM »
I have had my eye on a sharrow prop for a few months, I can't wait to hear how it goes for you. What type of information did they want to make one for you? What's the estimated ETA?

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #236 on: February 23, 2023, 02:24:57 PM »
ETA is 90-120 days. They asked for my current prop info, engine info, boat info (had to write them an email and send pics about that!), RPM at first plane and cruising, speed, RPM at full throttle, etc. I'm very irritated that I was unable to find my performance test information which would have been of great use to them, so I had to give them some generalities about RPM/speed at cruise etc. I also gave them our 14 degree deadrise, approximate weight, stitch-n-glue construction, etc. I'll keep you all posted!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 23, 2023, 04:54:03 PM »
ETA is 90-120 days. They asked for my current prop info, engine info, boat info (had to write them an email and send pics about that!), RPM at first plane and cruising, speed, RPM at full throttle, etc. I'm very irritated that I was unable to find my performance test information which would have been of great use to them, so I had to give them some generalities about RPM/speed at cruise etc. I also gave them our 14 degree deadrise, approximate weight, stitch-n-glue construction, etc. I'll keep you all posted!

Did you search the forums for your performance data?  Seems like it's here somewhere ... probably with my missing sock

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #238 on: February 23, 2023, 05:01:49 PM »
I just went all through my posts and nothing. Same result looking through my boat's logbook and all my computer files. Weird and very irritating!

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 25, 2023, 07:42:48 AM »
Aren’t those props thousands of dollars?