Author Topic: primer bulb or not?  (Read 1384 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
primer bulb or not?
« on: April 02, 2022, 07:52:09 PM »
Ready to attach fuel lines to kicker and big motor, do I need a primer bulb?  I seen hose assemblies with primer bulbs and my big motor has a rigging tube.

This is beyond my pay grade.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: primer bulb or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 09:31:18 PM »
Im sure this is little help to you, but I cannot think of any one of my boating buddies that squeeze a primer bulb to start the engine/s.  I wonder if running a kicker motor off the same tank if one engine could starve the other engine of fuel.  A primer bulb in this instance may provide a check so fuel can only go one way???

tom e

• Midshipman
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 11:12:46 AM »
If you've had the system apart, e.g. the fuel/water cartridge, and need to prime it?

Now that you've raised the issue, I've gotta call the Suzuki dealer. 
Tolman Jumbo launched Sept '22

tom e

• Midshipman
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 02:37:57 PM »
Glad you raised the issue.  My Suzuki dealer says, Yes for priming after you've had the fuel system apart.   This is for a Suzuki 150.
Tolman Jumbo launched Sept '22

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 06:06:59 PM »
I ordered a primer bulb for the kicker, not that much $$. 

My Mercury SeaPro 200 came with a fuel filter / separator.  I did not know that when I ordered racor that has a primer push button.  The racor is rated for higher fuel flow and has 2 ports whereas the Mercury only had one port.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 08:41:19 AM »
Im sure this is little help to you, but I cannot think of any one of my boating buddies that squeeze a primer bulb to start the engine/s.  I wonder if running a kicker motor off the same tank if one engine could starve the other engine of fuel.  A primer bulb in this instance may provide a check so fuel can only go one way???

Does this imply, that on a new installation, that turning over the starter on the main is going to be able to prime the new (empty) fuel line from tank to motor?  I would've guessed that a primer bulb would be a good idea to get the fuel primed closer to the motor.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 11:11:08 AM »
My yamaha came with a bulb. I would think as Tom points out, if I am disassembling the fuel system on the water, I probably want to save the engine cranks for money strokes that can actually potentially contribute to getting me home... My 2¢ (about what it's probably worth)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 04:16:19 PM »

Does this imply, that on a new installation, that turning over the starter on the main is going to be able to prime the new (empty) fuel line from tank to motor?  I would've guessed that a primer bulb would be a good idea to get the fuel primed closer to the motor.
I agree that a new installation a primer seems like a good idea.  I would be surprised if modern outboards cannot pull fuel to fill an empty line,  but I really dont know.  I do know for fact that i have never seen any of my boaties use the primer bulbs on the boats they have.  without the primer bulb in place, in my pointed head, I cant help but think some condition could develop where one motor sucked fuel from the other, but I'm just speculating.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 05:40:23 PM »
Reasons for primer bulb:

1. After draining fuel from outboards in the winter, next spring squeeze your bulbs before you start your motors!
2. Change fuel filter on engines or main fuel filter, squeeze your bulbs before starting.
3. Ran out of gas?  (should never happen) Re-fill and squeeze your Bulbs.

Squeeze your bulbs until it feels hard and you will know engines are primed and ready for starting.

Racor unit has primer button, added a primer bulb for kicker anyway.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 07:57:05 AM »
I put one on my 200 Yamaha because it came with it. I have never needed to use it, even after I cleaned my fuel filter this winter. It is a backflow device, that’s how I see it.