Author Topic: Helm Seats  (Read 243 times)

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Helm Seats
« on: April 27, 2022, 08:16:49 AM »
Looking to buy a helm seat. I see from Todd's video he went with a Bentley, guess that makes sense since these are the Cadillac  of boats, but was wondering if anyone else has suggestions- Thanks

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: Helm Seats
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 10:27:03 AM »
I went with the attached for a few different reasons. The front half lower seat pops up for a leaning post. Unless I'm cruising to the fishing grounds I like to stand and lean on a post 90% of the time. Yes the super high end seats with their cushy spring or air ride is nice but I just don't see myself using that feature a lot. These bigger cushy seats also take up so much room you loose the storage space under the seats. I would have lost 2 nice drawers on each side going with the plush seats. The other big feature of what I used is the back rest fold both ways so the port side seat works great for the the dinette seat also. I get these for $550.00 through Fisheries supply. I get a discount since I signed up for for their professional program. Price had nothing to do with my decision it was all function that made my decision. BTW they work great and pretty comfy
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/springfield-marine-twin-46-flip-up-seat/1043001
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 10:30:55 AM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 11:57:05 AM »
That is a nice seat Chuck.  The seat that I bought is similar to the one Chuck has, with the exception of the flip up.  A flip flop option would really be the cats meow.   IIRC the retail price is/was nearly the same.  FWIW it seems the wisdom in the forums is that suspension seats are unnecessary.  Having said that, I made a storage box for my seat to seat on that I can remove and altar if I need to add anything under the seat.  Bentley has a proprietary mechanical suspension system that takes up little room.    Anyhow, When I ordered my seat I had never heard of Bentley.  I used them for the convenience of no shipping since I was working near their shop.  Even with the provided dimension I was surprised the seat is as small as it is.
  The Patriot is the most popular seat and you can add a recliner option as well as a seat heater if your pockets are really deep.    https://bentleysmfg.com/patriot/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 12:06:54 PM by Todd j »

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 03:54:25 PM »
That is a nice seat Chuck.  The seat that I bought is similar to the one Chuck has, with the exception of the flip up.  A flip flop option would really be the cats meow.   IIRC the retail price is/was nearly the same.  FWIW it seems the wisdom in the forums is that suspension seats are unnecessary.  Having said that, I made a storage box for my seat to seat on that I can remove and altar if I need to add anything under the seat.  Bentley has a proprietary mechanical suspension system that takes up little room.    Anyhow, When I ordered my seat I had never heard of Bentley.  I used them for the convenience of no shipping since I was working near their shop.  Even with the provided dimension I was surprised the seat is as small as it is.
  The Patriot is the most popular seat and you can add a recliner option as well as a seat heater if your pockets are really deep.    https://bentleysmfg.com/patriot/
I considered a reclining seat but I did not want to sacrifice the space behind the seat and my cabinet to have room to recline. To be honest I can't imagine reclining in the captains seat:)
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 06:32:46 AM »
Option: after shopping for good seats I decided to try using some third row seats out of an suv I found on craigslist. It took a little fabrication but we love them. I payed $100 so if it didn’t work I would just toss them. They both recline. Sounds a little funky but an option.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 06:44:11 AM »

Those 3rd-row SUV seats look great to me!  Nice find...

I vote for at least 1 seat being able to recline, and if possible, at a height that allows you to see outside the boat when reclined, or at least when partially reclined.  Why?  Seasickness ... reclining reduces symptoms and being able to see the horizon at the same time helps too.  Nice to be able to accommodate a sick passenger if needed.  Just a thought ...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 10:10:19 AM »
I wish that had occurred to me.  Heated too?

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 08:09:22 AM »
I think those are great seats, I cant tell if it is leather but would be a bonus.  you can add heated pads to the seats.

I think I have a little ocd with the pic sizes.  ;D

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 03:57:44 PM »
I could