Author Topic: Hello from Central Oregon  (Read 1210 times)

Bowen1911

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Hello from Central Oregon
« on: June 14, 2022, 12:00:27 PM »
Hello all, I love these support groups for those of us with the addiction of boats and making them ourselves.

I’ve seen a few Tolmans and a couple Great Alaskans. Absolutely beautiful. While I’m likely not going to build either of the former designs, I do have my sights set on a stitch and glue flat bottom dory for Pacific City use. Brian was gracious enough to assist with turning my rough line drawings into flat panel drawings, so now I’ve got a stack of drawings just begging to be laid out on plywood. Given the similarity in construction, I figured I had better join Brian’s forum and continue to gain knowledge while I prep for the future build.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: Hello from Central Oregon
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 12:12:27 PM »
Hello all, I love these support groups for those of us with the addiction of boats and making them ourselves.

I’ve seen a few Tolmans and a couple Great Alaskans. Absolutely beautiful. While I’m likely not going to build either of the former designs, I do have my sights set on a stitch and glue flat bottom dory for Pacific City use. Brian was gracious enough to assist with turning my rough line drawings into flat panel drawings, so now I’ve got a stack of drawings just begging to be laid out on plywood. Given the similarity in construction, I figured I had better join Brian’s forum and continue to gain knowledge while I prep for the future build.
Stich & Glue Dory sounds amazing. You should post your line drawings! If she turns out to be amazing you might have some people wanting to buy your design. I have had several people ask me over the years for just such a set of plans. Welcome to the group!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 12:12:58 PM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Bowen1911

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 12:26:43 PM »
Do we  need to CNC the whole thing? That could be fun…

Let me get a picture uploaded

Bowen1911

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 12:41:21 PM »
18.5 feet long, 7.5 foot beam, 4 foot bottom, 6 foot wide floor due to the anti trip chines.
Has a small dry storage area in the bow, and a fish box butted up against the storage bulkhead. Planning on the 29 gallon Moeller fuel tank between the stringers in the console to keep weight fairly centered.
Additional storage under the shear shelves. Splashwell/transom details still to be determined. I also have an idea for a leaning post that allows for maximum floor space when wanted, but still will have the ability to sit down.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 02:39:42 PM »

Wow!  GREAT CAD model!  :D

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Bowen1911

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 04:19:12 PM »
Great CAD model!  I scaled the drawings for the main hull panels, printed them, and glued them on to a cereal box. Now I’ve got a 9” model taped up sitting on my desk to distract me from work. I mean keep me motivated  ;D

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 06:14:34 PM »
Great CAD model!  I scaled the drawings for the main hull panels, printed them, and glued them on to a cereal box. Now I’ve got a 9” model taped up sitting on my desk to distract me from work. I mean keep me motivated  ;D

Nice!  I'll build a model of a GA someday ... when I get spare time!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 04:26:17 PM »

To cut on a CNC all ya need is lofting from Brian. Unless Brian already have the flat sheets laid out in cad then it's just some programing
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Bowen1911

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2022, 07:07:56 PM »
I’d just need to add scarf locations to make it a “kit”.  I’ll show you what I’m working with for drawings

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 07:46:34 PM »

To cut on a CNC all ya need is lofting from Brian. Unless Brian already have the flat sheets laid out in cad then it's just some programing

Got'm.  I suspect Chuck just needs to know the scarf ratio and a line where the scarf goes.  Hint: Best to have scarfs on low-load straight runs, e.g. not in the high-curvature regions toward the bow.  The glassed scarfs will never break when the boat's in use, but might if you bend them too hard during construction ... I like a patch of glass over the scarf seam on the outer side of the bend.