Author Topic: Low amp maxi fuse  (Read 416 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Low amp maxi fuse
« on: August 06, 2022, 03:57:45 PM »
Due to wiring size of my bilge runs I installed maxi fuse holders by blue sea.  I’m not finding fuses rated small enough to fit the fuse holders.    I don’t want to install inline fuse holders in the bilge.

Anyone have a line on low amp maxi fuses?

cj8mule

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Re: Low amp maxi fuse
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 03:33:01 PM »
 I'm not sure what kind of fuse holder you're trying to use, but are you sure the bilge is a good place for a fuse?  Genuinedealz.com out of Georgia may have some sort of water proof fuse holder.   I've used some blade fuse holders that were encased in rubber before on some Jeep stuff a long time ago.

My bilge is at least 20 feet from the helm where it's fused along with everything else.  I'm not sure I'd want a fuse in the bilge where access is difficult.   I believe a 5 amp fuse would be plenty of protection for a normal 1000 GPH pump on 14/3 bilge pump wire and a 10 amp on a 2000 GPH.

--dave   

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 08:21:06 AM »
Dave, I agree with you.  I don’t want fuses buried in the bilge.  I am using a “maxi fuse” fuse holder.  I have found a 10 A maxi fuse, but it’s still too big.  I have not seen single fuse holders for Standard size auto type.   I thought about changing fuse holder size.  I’m still looking for a solution or advice. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:21:57 AM by Todd j »

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 03:22:01 PM »
Why not just have another box in your console to run smaller fuses?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P6FTHC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The inline ones I have done use things like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081DHT8Y7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If using inline, make sure they are as close to the positive source as you can get them, so they are protecting the wiring and circuit against a short and resulting fire...

cj8mule

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 06:43:52 AM »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 10:16:17 AM »
I decided to revisit this after the post from Dave.   I really don’t like the in-line fuse much at all.  I care about the pumps but one conductor is a #6 and the other is a #4.   Huge wires for what seems like small, but crucial jobs.  I have the pumps wired manually with switches at each helm.  They are also wired to be the only thing/s that will operate with house power off.  That is why I have them fused as I do. 
  Yesterday I removed one of the fuse holders and found it to be “user re-sizable”   I was able to “resize” each fuse holder so a standard blade style fuse will work. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 12:32:12 PM »

Keep in mind the reasons for circuit protection:

- Breakers on a panel are "branch circuit protection", designed to keep the wiring from catching on fire if shorted - but have nothing to do with the ampacity ratings of the devices powered by that branch

- Inline (and other device-specific) protection is additional to branch protection and designed to protect the device itself.  Example) Wire gauge on a branch might require, say, a 10A breaker but a radio hanging off that branch circuit may have a device ampacity limit of only 2A, so you give the radio a 2A inline fuse or small breaker

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>