Author Topic: Shielding network cables  (Read 248 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Shielding network cables
« on: October 12, 2022, 04:00:04 PM »
I am installing my new radar and garmin network.  The instructions for the radar say not to run the network and power cables parallel with other cables specifically antenna and power cables.
  This seems strange to me that it doesn’t caution running the radar’s power cable and network cables together? 

Anyway have any of you actually taken steps to avoid interference?   I’m temped to run them in the same bundle as the other stuff that goes to the helm from the radar tower. I guess I’m a little pissed that when you buy the flagship model latest and greatest for $1000s of dollars they can’t include a shielded cable.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Shielding network cables
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 06:59:44 AM »
 It's a coax that goes to the antenna, right?  I'd have to see exactly what the manual says, but I do know this about electrical noise that may interfere with other stuff:  DC power is silent except when you operate switches - connecting/disconnecting via a switch may introduce a tiny bit of noise when switched.  Network - If it's unshielded (not coax), it may be sensitive to noise, and being square wave digital voltage, it's got high frequency components that may interfere with other stuff such as the small signals in antennas or radar signal wire.  Generally, it's a good idea to run data (network) wires separately ... not necessarily perpendicular to, but definitely where wires cross.  If your network wires are coax, and the antenna/radar wires are coax ... running them all in the same ought to be OK, e.g. shielded wiring next to shielded wiring.  If your network wiring is not coax, however, then distance between data wires and antennas/radar is your friend.  Usually, it's impossible to wire stuff only in wires perpendicular, or at least not parallel, but it's OK if you put a little distance between the wires ... signals get weaker by the square of the radial distance from the transmitter (the wire) ... just like a light bulb.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 08:53:20 AM »
To be more specific.  The wiring for my wipers, windshield washer, and nav lights are in a bundle all running together.  This is the desired path for the radar network and power cable. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 08:17:38 AM »

So ... it's possible that the radar network may need to run separately ... but is it coax?  If it's coax, you can likely get away with putting it in the same bundle as the other wires, but be prepared for a possible move later if you have noise issues with your radar.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 07:13:35 PM »
I tore into a few power cables and they all had shielding.  I cut the fuses off and tied them into my fuse boxes.  Perhaps I got a little too excited. 
 I doubt installers downtown go to any extra efforts beyond what I did.  O well we will see. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 08:40:49 AM »

You could also call the tech support line for your radar system, to know what to look for and to check in on what you're doing.