Author Topic: Mismatched chart plotter on same network  (Read 86 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Mismatched chart plotter on same network
« on: October 27, 2022, 03:59:55 PM »
I have a new Garmin 1243xsv and a lowrance hds7.  If I understand things correctly I can hook them up to the same network.  The lowrance in this instance would be a slave to the garmin.  I think the lowrance would still be usable as a back up gps/chart plotter as well as show all my engine data as a digital dash.  It would not show any radar or fish finder info.  It would also not be able to talk to the auto pilot. 
 I cannot find any feedback on the web where someone has done this specifically.   Have any of you done this?

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mismatched chart plotter on same network
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 03:11:23 PM »
I have the same Garmin, I don't have it networked to anything but probably going to try to network it to my yamaha system at some point (doesn't really help here now). The Lowrance looks like it has NMEA2000 connectivity, which I would assume would allow it to be chosen as a display for the Garmin computer. At the very least they both have that network capability, so maybe researching what NMEA2000 is capable of is a good start... A quick google search for garmin lowrance nmea2000 returns some results, not sure how useful they are without digging in

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: Mismatched chart plotter on same network
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 07:37:09 PM »
I tried goodgle, but nothing relating to what I am doing.  I may just have to get another nmea cable and wire the lowrance In And just see what happens.  I donít know if my Suzuki is networked to the garmin yet.  I have a MFD that is installed in my dash that is connected to the 250.  Not sure what it can do.  Hopefully it is hooked to the nmea network.