Author Topic: Stringer location  (Read 1066 times)

DougM

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Stringer location
« on: December 06, 2022, 01:32:38 PM »
I am placing the stringers in position onto the temporary framing and through the slots in the transom. I made a mark at 21' 5-1/2" (for a 28' boat) from the pointed end of the stringers onto the deck (flat) side of the stringers. If I align the mark on the flat edge of the stringers to the outside face of the transom, the pointed tips of the stringers are approximately 57-1/2" aft of the bow tip. I am checking to see if this measurement is correct. Thanks .

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: Stringer location
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 07:45:00 AM »
You have followed the correct process as shown on page 83. Locating the exact correct position of the stringer tips from the bow tip is not an exact measurement. You need to fit the bottom onto the bow stem first. Once the bow stem is cut & shaped to fit the bottom the way you want it you then move the stringers forward or aft until the tips fit the bottom. Be sure to read from page 83 on through page 90 several times, the process will become more clear.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 07:08:00 AM »
You have followed the correct process as shown on page 83. Locating the exact correct position of the stringer tips from the bow tip is not an exact measurement. You need to fit the bottom onto the bow stem first. Once the bow stem is cut & shaped to fit the bottom the way you want it you then move the stringers forward or aft until the tips fit the bottom. Be sure to read from page 83 on through page 90 several times, the process will become more clear.

Sorry for my slow response ... the last 2 weeks have been very busy.  In any case, Chuck nailed it ... thanks, Chuck!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 09:55:01 AM »

Sorry for my slow response ... the last 2 weeks have been very busy.  In any case, Chuck nailed it ... thanks, Chuck!
No Worries, happy to chime in. I have lots of time on my hands South of the boarder in PV. I'm gona look into building finished GA's here once "Izzy J" arrives in April. She will be a good example for my demo boat:)
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 09:49:36 AM »
No Worries, happy to chime in. I have lots of time on my hands South of the boarder in PV. I'm gona look into building finished GA's here once "Izzy J" arrives in April. She will be a good example for my demo boat:)

Awesome idea!  And in Ol' Meh-heee-co ... no windows are required!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 02:14:03 PM »

What about the first GA Kodiak Open Center Console with triple 115hp. With the right built-up side supports you could probably getter done. Raised Sole & side seating in front of the walk-around CC to help structurally in the bow. What say you Brian?? Simple yes, no or maybe works for pre-planning.... Bad ass and quick to build
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:17:16 PM by Grady300 »
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 07:19:27 AM »

What about the first GA Kodiak Open Center Console with triple 115hp. With the right built-up side supports you could probably getter done. Raised Sole & side seating in front of the walk-around CC to help structurally in the bow. What say you Brian?? Simple yes, no or maybe works for pre-planning.... Bad ass and quick to build

It's not structure so much as weight and balance ... a CC would require a lighter-weight single motor kept close to the transom.  Triple 115's on a CC would require a redesign.  Of course, with lots of lounging capacity for all those bikini-clad guests, right? :)  I don't think I can consider doing any redesigns without retiring first ... not rich enough for that yet!

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 09:14:05 AM »

It's not structure so much as weight and balance ... a CC would require a lighter-weight single motor kept close to the transom.  Triple 115's on a CC would require a redesign.  Of course, with lots of lounging capacity for all those bikini-clad guests, right? :)  I don't think I can consider doing any redesigns without retiring first ... not rich enough for that yet!
OK I'll keep it down to Twin's..... Actually meeting with a guy today to start some research on sourcing materials... I guess I hi-jacked this thread enough....opps
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021