Author Topic: what epoxies are you all using these days?  (Read 1453 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
what epoxies are you all using these days?
« on: January 09, 2023, 04:17:57 PM »
I'm getting ready to start a project and need more epoxy.  I have been using Ebond and I amuse to it and the price is fine by me.  I can't seem to reach anyone there to see if it's even available.  They no longer answer the phone, annoying at the least.  I have looked over the total boat epoxies, and system three stuff as well.  I'm building a lobster live well, so i don't care if it only last ten years.  it will only be used a month or so every year, but i certainly don't want to fight the stuff.
  What are you all using now??   Brands and model specifics please.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what epoxies are you all using these days?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 08:11:03 PM »
System 3 silver tip with slow harder, 75 gallons on my boat, all has hardened properly and no adherence problems.No 'supply chain issues" good customer support.  Got a better price through a local dealer than their website.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 09:10:52 PM »
I have heard some good things about Raka, I bought 3 gallons of it for a surfboard I was building a year or so ago, but I didn't end up using it on that project, so it's still sitting waiting for me to use it. They have a pretty wide selection, my purchase was their UV inhibited product.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 09:04:38 AM »

I've always been a System III guy, and have just used the general purpose epoxy, not the SilverTip (costs more - but no blush).  WEST Epoxy is mil-spec, but I've compared the specifications ... System III is better, and slightly more flexible too (WEST would, for example, crack on a hard impact more easily). 

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 12:08:39 PM »
good stuff guys.  I will look into these products.  Thanks

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 05:25:54 PM »
Raka for my boat

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 10:12:53 PM »
AeroMarine has worked in all weather.  I have never had to wait for delivery.

Ronb

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 01:27:42 PM »
Todd j,

I ordered 60 gallons of Ebond in mid November (if my memory serves me right) and it took them a while to ship it out.  They stated they had most of it in stock but were waiting for a little bit more.  I suspect that they were shipping other orders out from what I had ordered and when a large enough replacement order came in then they finally sent me the order.  It was received just after Christmas.

Their supply is coming in more and more is what I was told but they are sometimes difficult to get ahold of.  They were very nice on the phone when I finally got to talk with someone. 

Ron

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 09:42:01 PM »
That’s good Ron.  I’ve been using ebond all along.  Maybe I should try them again.  They, in the past actually answered the phone instead of leaving a voicemail garbage to a pre recorded greeting

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 10:22:47 PM »
I don't think I ever call Barry, I just send him an email and epoxy shows up a short while later... It's been a while since I have ordered though.

tule peak timber

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 03:01:23 PM »
I'm new here but have been using epoxies since the 70's. When I build my Kodiak, I will be looking at Silver Tip from System III. I've used over the years pretty much everything around for both personal use and in my business. I was a big fan of Aero Marine for the last 14-15 years, but just found out that the company sold and when I called the customer service; left something to be desired. I've been a member of their 50 gallon/month club for some time. I will not be using them again.
Biggest thing I've found with epoxies is finding one that will work within the temperature range that is appropriate for you. Just burned through 20-25 gallons of Total Boat 5:1 and very happy with it. But it blushes. I think on the boat build I am going to go with no blush.
Cheers from the New Guy!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 05:33:59 PM »

The Silvertip is nice ... perfect viscosity, no blush.  Costs more but saves man hours ...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>